Nugget Shooter Forums
jim straight

Jim Straight here

Jim,

I had the pleasure of getting to finally meet Bill in person today, I was in his shop and saw one of your books, ADVANCED PROSPECTING AND DETECTING FOR HARDROCK GOLD . He made a special gift of a signed copy for me AND would not let me pay for it. So, I thank you for getting it to Bill and thank Bill for gifting it to me........

• Like 3

Hi All,

A little bad news/setback regarding Jim. On friday Jim fell and broke his hip. As many of you know with elderly friends and family members this can be a major set back for any 87 year old. I just talked to him and as always he has a positive attitude. He is looking foward to being released to a managed care facility and start his slow recovery. I can not express to all on this board how much this thread means to him. Bill thank you for giving it to Jim. You have given him purpose. He loves to teach and this is his outlet.

After the death of his wife in January, Jim struggled. Lately as he would put it he was getting "back on track". This last thursday I took him up to Randsburg. He had a blast. Seeing some of the towns people he had not see in 3 years. Thay all know and love him. We had lunch at the Randsburg General Store and he got to see his old friend Pam Keiser the owner. We also met up with dear old friend and partner in prospecting crime Jerry Balcer. The three of us talked storys (prospecting lies LOL) then went out to the West End Prospector's claim Rans Promice for a little metal detecting. Yep Jim dected at 87. He loved every second of it.

I feel so lucky to have Jim as a friend. The ride up to Randsburg and back was a 12 hour prospecting/mining lesson. It was information overload. I could write a book on all I learned that day. Then in Jims typical generous style he wanted to pay for gas. YAH RIGHT! I should have paid him. I know his books for me at first were hard to understand . BUT if you are serious about prospecting I would encourage you to keep reading, they will make more sense every time you read them and go out.

Hopefully I will be able to post an address to the manage care facility he will be at. If you have a spare minute drop him a note of encouragement. I know it would lift his spirits. Keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

Dan Taylor

• Like 2

Very sorry to hear this. As many may know when we get older this can be a common accident what happens alot of the time is the bones actually give out or break causing the fall. Whichever I hope Jim gets back on track quickly and painlessly.
Frank C.

Jim,

I am sorry to hear of your misfortune, and hope you mend up smoothly.... I have several of your books and have enjoyed your contributions over the years. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with this community. Randsburg is one of my haunts as it is not far from Bakersfield. Take care of yourself and know a lot of people are pulling for you!

Jeff

Jim,

I'm sorry to hear about your injury. Hopefully you will be able to chat again my friend. May God bless and keep you. Prayers for your recovery have been sent.

Rim

Bummer to hear that kind of news.

Will be saying a prayer.

Jim ... Heal well and fast my friend ... you have much more life to live and fortunately for me much more information to pass on ... Get well ... Heal well!

Mike F

So very very sorry to hear this. While I Do not personally know you, I do know you are one tough dude that can overcome most anything. I hope the best for you.

Jim....I am so sorry to learn of your accident and injury ... Take good care of yourself and heal up quick! ... I'd love to get your response to the occurrence of gold in iron/greenstone schist with out the apparent presence of quartz ... I found an area that produces up to one ounce nuggets shot through with the schist but all at the surface, within 12" but nothing seeming deeper ... Get well fast, Jim, my friend ... Cheers, Unc

Jim,

Sorry to hear of your accident, I will be saying many prayers for a complete and as quick as possible recovery.

Skip

Jim is a very special guy, he went way out of his way to give me a signed copy of his book and it is a cherished item at my house for sure. I'm sure many more out there could go on and on about this spectacular man, and if and when he gets a chance to read these posts he will know that no matter what he has made a difference in this world. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Yer Pal Bucket

Jim, sorry to hear this my dear friend and I wish you the best in healing up and getting back to what you love. If there is anything I can do for you please let me know. You have been my inspiration and a big part of why I became successful at hunting gold and I will always owe you my gratitude....

Hi all,

Jim called this am. All is going well. He is at home and will not be going to a managed care facility. He is positive and looking forward to answering your questions. He got a wireless laptop so he is excited to learn that. So post your questions and he will do the best he can.

Uncle Ron. I asked Jim your question and he wants more information. Is the schist rock water warn? Could the gold have travled there, is that why it is only 12" down. The absence of quartz COULD only mean that it eroded and moved away, leaving the gold. He says congrats on 1 oz Nuggets :)

Jim says there are LOTS of smart people on this form that he would like to help with this question. But tell him more about the schist.

Dan T.

Hi Dan, that's very good news about Jim, thank you for letting everyone know.

Jim, it takes a lot to keep a good man down.

Nice to see you up.

All the best,

Flak

Great news for sure!

Good news, and still praying for Jim!

I'm glad to hear that Jim is at home and is doing good, I'm a firm believer that a person heal faster at home when that is possible than in a medical establishment, too much crap at those places that will make your sicker!!!

Jim

Our prayers for a quick and complete recovery.... Get well soon

Mr. Jim

Get well soon, you have lots of friends and admirers ,that really care a lot for you.

oHowdy everyone... please excuse and typos. Hey I'm only 83... just a kid. :old: It is a

stuggle for to get around the my messy 'puter room

I thank Dan

for taking me to Randsburg. I have been going out to this area since 1962 and just love the

friendly folks who are there. I really enjoyed visiting Charlotte Carpenter. Her late Husband

George cottage manufactured a very quality singlesided drywasher mounted on wheels

could be pulled by small "scooter." Charlotte is the long time president of the Mountain

Senior Citizen Councel which actually covers the greater area. They are trying t o be self

sufficent but sometimes "stuff happens" and they could use a temporary "leg up" most

grateful... The area since Glamis moved and there are less bikers an tourests is having

fiinancial the area is having "cash flow"; problems so if'm your in the general area to

look around and I'm sure you wiii find something neat to buy.

I had intended to give some informaion regarding the late John Livermore (April 16 1918-

Feb 7, 2013). He was the original discover of the Eureka County "Carlin-Trend" back in

1961 at the 'Epithermal' Bootstrap mine. His discovery led to the famous Carlin Mine which

is in the the Carlin Trend five miles wide and forty miles long which has produced over 13

million tons at .03 ounces per ton. Hey I guess I just did... very tired more later... jim

Welcome back! Youngster :4chsmu1:

An update on Jim from Rob's forum, posted today 07-04-2013.

http://forums.nuggethunting.com/index.php?/topic/10117-hour-talk-with-jim-straight-on-phone/

"Posted Today, 09:22 PM

Hello All,

Today Jim Straight and I talked for a good hour, maybe two on the phone. We talked about our friendship since the early 90's up to recent events like the forums and gold price today. Jim was so excited to talk and in very high spirits. He wanted to let everyone know he can't get on the computer or access any forums at this time as he is in a wheel chair and hurting. He said he is getting a lot of letters and responding back to them. Jim loves to write, something he has been an expert at for decades.

He said he was thankful for having forums like Bill Southern's and mine to post on. I know he really misses getting on the forums and reading what we have to say. He also wanted to let me know again that both Bill Southern and my picture were on his piano. He also wanted me to tell AZNuggetBob he thought he was a wealth of information and felt he knew more than most Geologist on Epithermal deposits! wink.png

That being said, Jim did mention he didn't know if he would ever walk again. However, he said that would never stop him, but wanted to let everyone know he will think positive and that anyone can overcome anything if they think that way.

Jim has been a long time mentor to many, including myself. He is a living icon in the prospecting, metal detecting and mining field.

I told Jim I would post this and he encouraged it.

Please place Jim Straight in your prayers. He could use some speedy recovery!

Rob Allison"

Rob and Jim have been close friends for many years that I know of and thanks Rob for the update. I wonder if a laptop may help?

Hi all,

Jim called this am. All is going well. He is at home and will not be going to a managed care facility. He is positive and looking forward to answering your questions. He got a wireless laptop so he is excited to learn that. So post your questions and he will do the best he can.

Uncle Ron. I asked Jim your question and he wants more information. Is the schist rock water warn? Could the gold have travled there, is that why it is only 12" down. The absence of quartz COULD only mean that it eroded and moved away, leaving the gold. He says congrats on 1 oz Nuggets :)

Jim says there are LOTS of smart people on this form that he would like to help with this question. But tell him more about the schist.

Dan T.

Bill,

He got one.

Rim