Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello Jim, how have you been? I have been studying the book and I tell ya, some great info in there bud. Great job on the details Of everything. It's very informative. Thank you.Dan

• Replies 657
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A  funny about Jim.   He took a WW2 era mine sweep metal detector to a coin contest at Rancho Jurupa... The detector had no battery and  was not working.  He went into the field and picked up visible

The word is out that Jim has passed away. I last saw and spoke with Jim a bit over a year ago. He spent several hours on both Saturday and Sunday in the ICMJ booth with me at the Pomona GPAA show. He

Bill what I'm trying to say and continue to say it badly, but at my age I'm on my way out. I've had my 15 seconds of fame years ago... My day is past. I liken myself as a caboose on a train... Thus

Posted Images

Hi Jim, I just got back from a trip to Arizona with Steve Herschbach. We represented the ICMJ at the GPAA gold show there. As nice as the weather here has been before we left in Reno, it was pretty poor most of our time in AZ. Between the rain and cold weather, the detecting was kind of a bust. We did get some time in detecting and a friend of Steve's even scraped some ground on private property next to a known nugget patch to remove the brush, but I got nothing and Steve got two very tiny nuggets. Some trips just go like that!

Edited by Reno Chris

Howdy Chris... You are now AAA.... Alaska, Australia, and Arizona. Steve has been following the elusive free-milling gold

placers since he was just a youngster and I rate him as one of the best :thumbsupanim. However you will also find gold with Steve

and share what will become in the future years as many happy memories.

Gosh. if'n Steve only would contribute to above post # 499 this would be a great electronic log for all to enjoy.... This not

about me... but just a vehicle for all of us to get together and share bits and tidbits of information... Thank you Bill for making

this happen.... jim :old:

• Like 1

Changing the subject... I miss some of the earlier posters on this electronic forum :200: . I hope they return as this

"jim straight here" is not about me... It is about all of you :thumbsupanim:thumbsupanim:thumbsupanim and your thoughts and hopes for the future in these

trying times. :idunno::idunno::idunno: .. I'm truly thankful that Bill Southern pinned this "jim straight 'thingy'" and ALL of you who have

posted over the years... just jim :yesss:

You are still one of my heroes Jim and your well written material and friendship have sure led me to some gold :yesss:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris... GO FOR IT. You only live one life and live it to the fullest and when the

rocking chair gets you have no regrets as long as you were considered to be both

a good father, husband... and as my sainted grandpa Dragline once told me:

"...be square with your fellow man in all of your dealings; otherwise,

your reputation will be forever sullied through out the camps."

• Like 2

Changing the Subject:

Here is another log to chew on... Do you know about the Analog and Digital Domains? Are you aware

that the Analogs are slowly being phased out? They will eventually all be discontinued as have been

the BFO's and TR- VLF types... Continuing advancements in the expanding knowledge in microprocessor

technology and the newer microcontroller technology are fueling this, and it is less expensive and

much better in the now expanding Analog Domain... but I'm not suggesting you shove your analog in

your closet and forget it. Or not buy one.

But to become aware of the expanding Digital Domain market with one detector replacing the need for

having a relic, beach, coin or gold detector(s).

Go to the Tech Tips, Trouble Shooting, and Detector Help sub-forum and open the "Whites GMT Or

Gold Bug 2 in AZ soil link...

Jim,

I wonder why the detector world has been so slow to catch on to this technology? The best thing about is much, much, smaller packages. Sure could of helped out in the tennis elbow department fer sure.... :old:

Rim... the metal detector market has always been small and limited until like "Mopsy" and it grew into a bigger

industry such as started in Australia with Peter Bridges in using VLF's to recover placer gold... Hang on, there

will now be a rapid advancement in VLF technology led by pathfinders such Dave Johnson and the Pulses by

Bruce Candy.... Just my take... come one all of you posters and forum visitors lets light up this log until it is burning

bright...

Is there a way to make a VLF perform better than they already do and still be considered a VLF? Other than being able to handle hot ground like a PI, what could they change on them so they will still be in that class of detector? Just curious.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Gosh... the more advances made by All of the detector manufactures are to our benefit, and

should keep the street prices down. Also badly needed are more simple antipersonnel land mine

detectors and trained operators to demine and make it safe for all of those in the 'third world' who

are being maimed and even killed by antipersonnel mines while out tending their fields...

Yes Jim I agree with ya there. More technology is definitely needed for the finding of land mines and buried IED's. To help save some of them soldier's life's.

Jim,

It's awesome you bring this up. I work in the RDT&E (Research, Development, Test & Evaluation) side of the DoD. I often talk to subject matter experts about crossing the expertise over into this world. I wouldn't dare go into details of which technologies have a clear and cut crossover, but certain engineers that work in certain fields could possibly design/develop and execute designs that wouldn't be competition of business; therefore wouldn't be a conflict of interest.

Nugget108,

JIEDDO had our boys working 6 days a week for the past few years. I am so proud to see us make so much headway in this field as it was/is a true JUON (Joint Urgent Operational Need). The solutions are complex as the threat is ever changing. But if you noticed the numbers are way down.. .that says a lot. It's not because we have fewer numbers over there. The exposure is still high.

One note on countermine detection; aged UXO can become IM (insensitive munitions)... we def need to push this tech. Pushing trons into the ground can lead to bad things happening. This goes for people I see on youtube as well showing vids actively digging up old potential UXO. It's just a no-no.

Overall I would love to see further technologies that are technically available but unfortunately we need to get over that power limit. I don't remember the number, but It takes a huge amount of power (like x64) to get extra depth with current limitations that are put on commercial off the shelf devices(e.g. FCC etc.). I see the change to waveform management/manipulation to come up... clean up the quality of the limit on depth...then work the power issue to go deeper.

Wow good info. I use to work a test center trying out all the latest and greatest stuff that contractors for the military would come out with. SOCOM would send us some cool stuff to test. Nothing really electronic but mainly mechanical stuff like mine rollers and other things.

With Minelab now introducing their pricey "$10" detector that there may be a greater interest by other manufactures in developing a

'super-dooper' gold specific detector to "catch-up." There is line drawn in the sand regarding to find or not find placer' pay streak,,,,

in this game there is only one goal needed to win.... Being first and find the most. "More Depth" is always nice but not essentual. One

must be in a metalliferous free-milling paystreak and the nuggets of detector size.

Speaking of which..... I received my copy of Advanced Prospecting & Detecting for Hardrock Gold in the mail today. Purchased one from Bill.

This little book is jam packed with so much valuable information, and I'm sure I've just barely scratched the surface.

Great book Mr. Straight!

It is an extremely informative piece of writing. Lots of knowledge in his books.

So what other technology could one add to a VLF machine to make it better, but it still be considered a VLF? The only thing I can think of is the operating ability to handle hot ground. But I don't know if that's doable without changing its whole design. Imagine a GB2 punching 15 inches deep in solid red iron stained dirt for a 1 gram nugget. Ide buy one.

Sorry for typos, for I'm typing on a small tablet while we drive north of Darwin on a bumpy road.

Simply put; we need new technology. I won't to deep but I agree about depth as tailgate states but we know VLF machines fail to retain depth in certain ground. What I hope to see is companies getting qualitative on their multipath waveform manipulation.... Identify and track bad targets then beam steer for potential good ones.... WiFi routers do this with dual bands. Its not a one for one but more of an analogy. Other industries do this by default. U could imagine the ecm/ECCM world. Its definetley possible to counter jam bad ground if we approach it from a different view. I have Intel a certain detector company that likes old Spanish names is working something close. This could be a right step in the direction I would like to see.

Hope our right because i really like that company that uses old spanish names and what they have out now in analog works really well

Gosh... we have thrown another log on this electronic forum... and it seems to be burning

bright and giving enough light to be able to open a new page regarding the advancements being

currently made in both the Pulse and VLF technology. It has began with simple advancements such

as reverse discrimination and off-setting the ground-balance by early electronic prospectors

to seek concentrations of magnetic blacksand that in a free-milling gold-placer metallogenetic

area was often found to be associated with placer due to the specific gravity of black sands

(about 3.2) and the usual specific gravity of .700 gold (ie 14 and not 19.2).

At this time depths were limited to the matric as detectable under the swinging searchcoil.

Later advancements have included both Bargraph and Phase readings known as following

"concentrations of black sands" as did the pathfinding drywasher operators have successfully

done over the past 100 years by following the concentations of black sand. So it was just

another smallstep for electronic prospectors to "follow the drywashers" tailgate jim straight

You know today's VLF machines may seem to be "out dated" but the technology that is there truly is amazing. When you can read out what a target is on a little display screen and have it be correct a large number of times, that's actually quite good. I have a MXT and when it says it's a quarter, 9 times out of 10 it's a quarter. I just think that, if this is "old technology" then how can you get better? Sure on the military side of things, there are alot of advancements that can be made. But for recreational prospecting, I don't know if we could afford "new" technology. Just a thought. Good thread.

Oh yeah and good to hear from ya Mr Jim. Keep your knowledge flowing, because when you speak, we all learn something new.

• Like 1