Nugget Shooter Forums

Preferred Headphones for Gold Bug Pro?

SLNugget

I have a new to me GB Pro and after being out a couple of times and only finding trash (yes, I picked it up and brought it home) I am seeking some information and help. I have a slight hearing loss and think a quality set of headphones would be a great addition to my gear inventory. I have done a search and read what has been posted on these forums before and done some research on the interwebs. Now I am seeking info from the very knowledgeable members here.

I also have a question about settings on the GB Pro especially the "slight background hum" suggested in the owner's manual. Is there any way to quantify "slight"?

Thanks for any assistance offered. The information posted on these forums has been extremely helpful.

Stan

Threashold should be set to a Mosquito buzzing sound in yer ear to start with. You can work from that point as to your hearing and the ground areas you hunt.

Detector Pro Blackwidows or Nuggetbusters both work great for me with very bad hearing.

Yes, what Frank said. I own a GB Pro and Black Widow headphones as well and have found that the Black Widows are very good for the tinnitus and low-frequency hearing loss I have. The only drawback to the widows is that when using them in extreme heat they will make your ears sweat big time. I went out and.bought a detecting hat with one of those neck covers and I put the cover over my ears then put the headphones on and the sweat doesn't bother me anymore.

As for the threshold, it is hard to give someone exact settings because everyone's hearing is different. I start with my threshold all the way down to zero then slowly start turning it up. The sound usually starts in one earphone slightly sooner than the other, so the very instant that I can hear the buzz in both earphones is where I stop. Could be different for you, but the principal is the same. Good luck out there. It is an awesome machine.

There are over 6 folks up here who bought the great Cal Rad 15-135b(using on GB PRO) for a lousy $29.95 sold by whites/tesoro and others. They have forsaken all the others as stereo/mono-dual ear volume control has worked better for every last person who has tried and used the expensive ones for years. THATS what I've used for over 30 years and owned them all as free in biz for myself and always return-funny really but what a great set of headphones-and no I am not in biz so I'm NOT selling nuttn' and free to try to anyone for free as always-tons a au 2 u2 -John

How come everyone seems to have bad hearing around here ?? :D

In my case it's due to too many years crewing race cars without adequate ear protection. Pretty dumb of me :-(.......

Thanks for the headphone and threshold info guys, appreciate it.

Stan

Chris ... Hope the ole lady doesn't read your posts ... but you are right of course! :)

As for my hearing loss ... too much shooting without ear protection in younger years. We just didn't know any better ... after all the ringing from a day at the range or the sand pit would go away after a couple days ... no harm no foul right? Now what was that you were saying? Huh ... speak up!!! No need to whisper here!:)

Mike F

I've tried them all, had Blackwidows for years, Then I found Sunray Gold Pro's, I love them, lighter, I can where my hearing Aids, without the feed back, And they are 150 Ohm. Headphones and will work on any detector, Got two sets, and Just love them. Grubstake

It won't matter how good your headphones are if the sound is not in your range of hearing...a varible tone adjustment should be stock on every detector...

Having the threshold set to the minimum is a fine theory, unfortunately, what is faint to me may be silent to you or maybe blasting loud...no matter, bring the threshold up past where YOU can hear it well and then lower it to just past silent and the bring it back to where you can just feel the sound tickling your ear hairs...

fred

I will second Grubstake's recommendation: Sunrays are the best I've had. Remember when you graduated from that $20 pair of headphones to something more expensive and you were amazed at the difference it made? Well, when you change to Sunrays it's just like that all over again. The leather ear cushions and aluminum casings make for better noise blocking and comfort than any other headphones around... which translates into being better able to hear those slight breaks in threshold that we all strain to hear. Not to mention the extra heavy duty coily cord.

I like the hand-made Liberty headphones,,,, you can get 3 noise reduction levels up to 33 decibels , they are light, have plugs on BOTH ends of the cord (read easy to change out) and is the heaviest I've ever seen,dual notched volume controls,,, 150 or 200 ohm, can't quite remember right now but the are built by a fellow metal detectorest for MD hunters,,,,,,

Hello all, I would go along with Fred on everything he said. I have commented on this subject before on several posts. I am no expert nor a doctor but if a person is looking at getting into our hobby a general hearing test is something that should get done. Lots of people think they can hear very well till they get tested and find out there are tone levels they cannot hear or the decibel rating they are at. High dollar headphones with all the neat features are great but after a hearing test you may not need but a $29.50 set. On the other hand you you may be able to use all the features the higher dollar sets provide. I am not sure but I think Minelab was one of the first detectors with tone control. This made a big difference and I know I had friends that up till that point could not detect with some of the other detectors whether they had good hearing or not. That tone feature is something to watch for in any detector. Just my opinions, TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

Hey Fred, Actually we have had a cool week so far, just around 80 to 90. Right around the fourth they are talking about 110 to 112 degrees so we will be back at normal. Good hunting then, I like the heat and my brush, and the snakes are out good also. Yeah I forgot about Garrett, The whites old 6000DI was what I started out with, fun days. TRINITYAU/RAYMILLS

I have constant ringing in my ears and wear hearing aids,,,,, the most important thing for me is how the HP fit and block out background noise,,,,,, but will add that a good set of MD HP are built to enhance the freq range our MD work at and if you want to hear the small whispers you need to have a set of HP with a higher ohm impatience to enable the speakers to make a sound,,, that you will not prolly find in a 35 dollar set,,,,,JMHO,,,

Ray ,,, been hitting the dredger piles a little,,,, not a trace so far,,,, walked up a few old hydrolic mine washes also,,,,, nuttin,,,,

I have constant ringing in my ears and wear hearing aids,,,,, the most important thing for me is how the HP fit and block out background noise,,,,,, but will add that a good set of MD HP are built to enhance the freq range our MD work at and if you want to hear the small whispers you need to have a set of HP with a higher ohm impatience to enable the speakers to make a sound,,, that you will not prolly find in a 35 dollar set,,,,,JMHO,,,

Ray ,,, been hitting the dredger piles a little,,,, not a trace so far,,,, walked up a few old hydrolic mine washes also,,,,, nuttin,,,,

Thanks for the information and education on HPs.

Wurthless, could you post some numbers that would represent "higher ohm impatience" :-) ?

Stan

here is a link to Liberty HP,,,

http://www.mtdetectorsales.com/Liberty-Headphones.php

they are 150 ohms,,,, the highest I have seen,,,,, would NEVER go with less than 50 and 100 is more the standard,,,,, 150 is like and Audiophile's dream for MD HP's,( you can hear an ant fart !!! lol",,,, also the stereo/mono switch acts like an on/off when you are digging you can turn the HP off for silence,,,, extra nice

Well... I hate'ta muddy up the water... but if the day is quiet and no one around I just used

the speaker plus my hearing aids. if a sound, I checked by looking at the "Speedo Dial."

As far as head phones, I have used "Depthmasters" and also $29.95 Cal-Rads.

As far as whats best for you, there are a lot of choices. There are expensive "nationally

known" labels, and also "house brands," and the same head phone may be packaged and

sold as a less expensive "generic."

Since the topic is in reference to the Gold Bug Pro, I will continue to muddy up the water by

suggesting to seek out trashy areas for your gold and coin hunting areas. The 5-inch sniper

coil is fast and hits good targets surrounded by trash... It has good depth and handles

"mineralization" well.

My right hip was replaced June 23 and it is mending pretty good. My right knee is next.

I'm now starting to feel frisky and will soon be out swinging my Pro seeking coins and

jewelry items around the neigborhood lawns and grassy strips... with permission of course...

I dig carefully, backfill the dig-holes, and return any lost jewelry items and welcomed back

again...