Nugget Shooter Forums

Rattler got our dog

darn! Heard our little border collie, Mahina, doing her snake bark about 7:30 this morning and sure enough there was a small coontail hiding behind her dog house .... She's always been really good about staying away from rattlers, but this time she lunged in and got hit on her nose and upper lip ... We got her to the vet within 5 minutes, just as she started showing reaction to the venom ... So, she's in for treatment and the vet just said she seems to be doing well with only minimal swelling ... He said it appears she may have gotten only a little bit of venom, but won't know for sure until mid day or so ... 3 years ago we lost our old cat, Jose, to a Mojave green and he didn't make but a couple steps after getting hit and dead cold ... I shot the snake in the head with a BB gun ... Hope little Mahina pulls through this one OK .... Unc

post-9-0-33167800-1340037431_thumb.jpg

post-9-0-23251200-1340067895_thumb.jpg

Aloha Uncle Ron,

My wishes go out to Mahina for a full and speedy recovery and hopefully once home she will now learn a lesson and stay away from them slithering critters.

Aloha and stay well,

Stan aka kaimi

Bummer Ron. You must be sitting right atop an ancient den to have so many snakes repeatedly popping up in your yard. I hope all Mahina gets out of this is a fat nose and a good lesson.

Yo All....Thank you for all the well wishes for Mahina ... I just got a call from the vet who said her vital signs are all very good and she only has a little swelling on her face ... He thinks she will be OK, but he's keeping her overnight for observation ......Thanks again, guys ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks again, guys ... Just got an update from the vet ... He said "all things considered" she is doing good ... However the swelling has really increased ... He said we won't know the extent of tissue damage for another day or two ... They are pumping fluids through her to detoxify her blood and tissues ... Keepin' our fingers crossed for the old girl ... Cheers, Unc

Ron,

I will keep Mahina in my thoughts and prayers that she'll come out of this with only a good lesson to keep her distance from the snakes!!!

I know how you feel when your best friend is fighting to come out on top of something like this.

Skip

Hey Cuz,

So sorry to hear about your Mahina getting bit. I know how it tears at a persons heart when our dogs

are hurting.

My hound is lying right next to me right now, and she and Mahina shure have similar coloration and black spotting. Must be a Long thing...

I will be thinking about and offering a prayer for Mahina and you...

Cuz Gary

Ron: Hope Mahina recovers quickly. I live in Orange county in California and we have only had about half of our

normal rain fall this year and the snakes have been hanging out around the golf courses. I am pulling for you

little dog. keep us posted.

Ron- So sorry to hear about your dog.I also live in rattlesnake country,outside of Mesa Az. We took our dogs to a company in Cave Creek Az and had them "snakeproofed". They have a really good track record of getting the dogs to stay clear of the snakes. Their phone # is 480-595-6700 or www.snakeproofing.com. This is the school the law enforcement and working dogs go through.Hope she just ends up with a sore nose.Dave