Nugget Shooter Forums

At Gold Basin Until Thursday

Well, I finally made it to gold basin. We are out here until thursday afternoon, or thursday evening. Would somebody out there be kind enough to tell us what we should look for that might carry gold? Type of rock, soil, etc.? Not asking for exact gold locations, just would like to know what signs go look for. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

Chris, I think you said you were a GPAA member. Just cover as much ground as you can on the claims and a bit of thinking/swinging outside the box may be rewarding.

A meteorite or 2 may be detected in your efforts.

A bit earlier or later this season would have given you some much better temps to deal with out there.

If you need direction to the claim I told you about P.M. or call me. Good Luck an Hapy Huntn

Hello Chris. Its also very important to know just where you are. There is BLM, private, and I was surprised to learn the last time I was there that there is also State Land.

Stay cool, and best of luck,

Patrick.....

Hey Chris, like Frank says outside the box, have you tried the location I PM'd you about?

Dave

Thanks for the replies. Made sure we were not trespassing and obeying all laws.

Dave, yes, we went to the place you pm'd about and swung detectors for 11 hours yesterday. Had to hike over the hills about a mile and then covered probably 4-6 miles through the canyons. Unfortunately, nothing to show for it except a severe sunburn and major muscle cramps. Just got back from a private claim we were invited to, and swung the detectors there for 10 hours today...same results. Thanks again for the help, Dave. I greatly appreciate it.

This trip has opened my eyes to quite a few things, so time to consider my next move.

Although I aplaud you for swinging a detector for 11 hours, you make it sound like you are working way to fast, and trying to cover to much ground. Try working smaller areas very well, and you may have some success. . Dont give up , and dont be in a hurry either. Remember, you are trying to hear what others have not heard or couldnt hear well enough to dig. A nugget could be in your camp for all you know, in that area.

Thank you Adam. I guess it is possible that I am going too fast. In the past I had a tendency to move fast so now I try to constantly remind myself to take it slow. What I would do is choose a large section that I wanted to detect and I would go over it with my 17" NF at a medium pace while concentrating on the sound. Then I would go back over the same area very slowly with my 6x8 NF in special timings on fine gold. I may be off on the exact distance I covered but know it was a lot.

I am going back out there one more day (Thursday) and will concentrate even more on slow movement. Happy hunting.

I say the 3rd times the charm Chris, today is the day its your 3rd day there.

As Adam suggested slow down and listen for signals. I have dug meteorites very deep there some over a foot +.

And gold in some locations is among and or beneath rocks of overburden that can confuse the signal for you.

Good luck an Hapy Huntn today. Wish I could have met you guys up there to hunt.

Chris; if you travelled only about 4 miles in a straight line you would have covered over 20 thousand linear feet; at about 6 miles that would be over 30 thousand feet...no one could possibly detect that much ground thoroughly...believe me, I did the same thing for years at Gold basin...thinking I was doing a proper job but really just cruising and getting exercise...there were other issues but lacking correct technique was a primary problem...you can not understand until you watch someone like Grandpa John work an area...watching a snail crawl would be similar...this is a complement to John, he is one of my mentors...

fred

• Like 1

Chris; if you travelled only about 4 miles in a straight line you would have covered over 20 thousand linear feet; at about 6 miles that would be over 30 thousand feet...no one could possibly detect that much ground thoroughly...believe me, I did the same thing for years at Gold basin...thinking I was doing a proper job but really just cruising and getting exercise...there were other issues but lacking correct technique was a primary problem...you can not understand until you watch someone like Grandpa John work an area...watching a snail crawl would be similar...this is a complement to John, he is one of my mentors...

fred

Absolutely correct.....

fred

YOWSA YOWSA, Grandpa John as soon as I hear someone mention that name my head starts to spin.

In a GOOD direction that is.

I had the pleasure of meeting up with John a few months ago hadn't seen him or any posts for quite some time.

Ran into him out in the boonies of the basin and we had a good sit down under a shade tree.

He is PURE INSPIRATION on 2 feet.

Seems he has been nursing his wife for quite some time and was given a break by one of his family to be able to get out on a camp/hunt and clear his head.

One of the greatest people in MY opinion I have had the opportunity to meet in this great hobby.

Pure inspiration to me with my hearing losses. And a few years ago I changed my style of detecting because of him. He's a AAA++ detectorist fer sure.

We were all getting ready to leave The If I Can gathering one year and only a few of us were still standing around. When all of sudden grandpa john comes round the corner on his atv. We thought it was funny that he would quiting so soon but he had this big smile on his face as he showed us a little nugget he found right next to a big rock. He looked like a little kid who just got a new toy and as soon as we all had a look off he went to find some more. It was in no way the biggest nugget he has found but you would have thought it was. I guess when the excitement is gone its time to quit this hobby.

Greg ... I think that goes for anything in life including life itself. For example ... I used to be an avid technical rock climber years ago until it just got to be ho-hum when I reached the top of a cliff ... once I realized the passion was gone I sold all my gear except for one good rope and moved on to other things. I don't miss climbing or regret the decission to quit climbing. However i do have a strange draw to have to walk to the top of high places when prospecting. Hmmm ... do you suppose there is some kind of connection there!???

Mike F