Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey guys ,

i am posting 3 pics of a rock i found on one of the local Phoenix mountains , Squaw peak i think but not 100 percent sure. What should i do with this ... crack it open , cut it down the middle , leave it alone ??? or another idea. This appears to be an oval shaped rock encased in sandstone. I am curious about whats inside , but don't want to ruin a good specimen. Feel free to offer up your thoughts on this .These are also viewable in my photobucket if you need to download them for further inspection . Thanks in advance. Lou

IMG_20120612_195855.jpg

IMG_20120612_195911.jpg

IMG_20120612_195920-1.jpg

Yep! cut it down the middle, then sand and polish the 2 cut sides. Can't do any harm, then you'll know whats inside, If it is a geode or a fossilized egg you might want to sell half just get back what you spent on the cuttin and polishin, and keep half fer yer collection....RH

Thanks guys ,

it'll be a couple weeks before i get the saw going but will post pics when i do. Thanks for the advice it confirms what i thought . I am going to be busy digging up a spot where a known gold producing creek dips underground ... then it's back to the rocks. I have been finding alot of amber in the same location so i am hopeful. Thanks again. Lou

I've got about 20 crows here , the neighbors been feeding them... wanna trade ?

I've got about 20 crows here , the neighbors been feeding them... wanna trade ?

Train them to collect drop coins, you be rich I tell you, RICH!!! :brows: :brows:

http://www.ted.com/talks/joshua_klein_on_the_intelligence_of_crows.html

http://itp.nyu.edu/thesis/spring2007/detail.php?project_id=958

http://www.josh.is/crow-machine/

Skip

Hiya Steve ,

I will attempt to photo and post some pics this evening , was on my way out the door for the day. Going to check out an old mercury mine.

Steve ,

here are a couple pics as requested. The first one has the stone embedded in the rock still , the others are some pieces found while classifying some clay diggings. I thought they might be citrine but after talking with a geologist and showing him some samples thats his claim. He also claimed that amber could be found in southern north america as indicated by some specimens with plant life indigenous to the southern part of our continent. Not sure if i am confident with all his tale , but he knows more than me. oh yeah , a desk lamp and cell phone dont make a good camera setup but hope this helps some.

IMG_20120617_164548.jpg

IMG_20120617_165017.jpg

Lou, it sure looks like amber to me. Kind of amazed since I have never heard of it being found in Az. Amber is really easy to identify. It will float in a saturated solution of salt water. Or you can touch it with a hot needle which will give off an almost burning plastic smell. I think you can also rub it with a cloth and it will take a static charge which allows you to pick up small pieces of paper.

Steve.

Hey steve ,

awesome that you agreed with us , because to be honest i value your opinion most on this stuff. The one pic shows the amber still embedded in the host rock and thats pretty cool. I have found amber at several different locations here in AZ in my 2 months i have lived here. The ASU professor who examined it and did his tests whatever they are and stated amber. I was hoping for something more spectacular . I really need to build my library with some books on ways to identify some of this stuff... and to give everybody a break. Have a great day. Lou

Sure looks like amber but I also have not heard of amber in Arizona. Wonder if it could be copal which I believe the only difference between it and amber is the age.

Did you have any luck at the mercury mines? There is supposed to be some here with good lapidary grade cinnabar. Not sure I would want to mess with it but it sure can be pretty once it is cut.

Hiya Haderly ,

He claimed that the fluorescence test indicated amber as copal glows white and amber glows blue or yellow , and acetone didn't leave a mark. He states that copal melts in acetone. As for the arozona location i suspect that amber ( and copal ) can probably be found in all most all states , not just six or seven. Due in part to the fact that millions of years ago most of the current land was flat or under water , before the formation of most of our current mountains.

As for the mercury mines , didn't get much time to search the dreamy draw area as the heat was too much for the ol' lady. Ten minutes away from the A/C and TV was all she could take , so i made her sit in the shade and watch for lizards.

There is tons of Petrified Wood in Arizona. I would think there was some Amber to go with it.

Homefire ,

I agree. Never thought about it that way but you are probably correct. My amber specimens were found in 2 locations a hundred miles apart. very cool and thanks for the new idea.