Nugget Shooter Forums

Chuckwalla

frank c

I was out this morning on a local hunt and seperated a very large boulder to get my coil over the debris that laid inside.

But to my surprise as I two handed the broken part of the boulder out of place and lowered it to the ground this guy was staring back at me.

I believe its a Chuckwalla from Mohave county, length was approx. 18 inches.

A short time later I got a glimpse of the Desert Tortoise that frequents the area hiding under a large boulder sharing a pack rats nest but didn't have the camera with me at that time.

Man it got hot quick today out in the field. The terrain was all uphill.

Score :

Wildlife 2

Nuggets 0 Whoas Me :cry2:

post-562-0-67516000-1339440240_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-77851300-1339440266_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-34819000-1339440284_thumb.jpg

Homefire he lives in a great area, theres gold, gems, a meteorite was found there, lava bombs, deer, plenty of mohave greens, the elk aren't very far and a vast array of other critters on the hunting ground.

And only a few miles from town.

But I must say summer is here. When it gets sweatin hot by 9 AM Its time to lose the x-tra pounds from last winter for sure.

Well nuts Frank:

Too bad you didnt get any gold. But, you did get to see a cool lizard.

I was out this weekend....yup, summer is here!

Did a couple of things to keep cooler...

Cut my cargo pants off just below the knees, leave the zipper open, wear a straw hat instead of a baseball cap.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Tom H.

Yeah I would imagine the mouth is full of bacteria and wouldn't be pleasant to suffer a bite from.

Quick research said there are only 2 poisonous lizards the Gila monster and a Mexican beaded lizard of wich I haven't seen a pic of yet.

Hey Frank, very cool beast, In my mid 20s I was given a baby S.A.G.Iguana, he was bout 10in., fer 10yrs. I raised him to be a little over 6 ft. He was the coolest pet I ever had. His name was "Bubba", Salmonella bacteria is a big part of their digestive system, so to get bit could be infectious and probably hurt a bit too, but i think one of them would make a wonderful pet! WTC to find in the wild ! :thumbsupanim

The chuckawalla is totally harmless...leave them in peace...all reptiles, especially turtles carry sal and friends...that is why many children get sick from having these "pets"...

They won't and can't bite you if you don't touch them...same with snakes, leave them alone and they aren't likely to be a problem...

fred

Now them and Gila's I've seen plenty of.

We even have a few here in the High Desert from time to time.

Them Rascals are faster then you would think.

Touch there tail and they can be on you faster then you can say OH CHIT!

Rip them off your finger!

Pull the Head off if you have too.

Treat the wound with Beach or Ammonia. A Base! The same for Scorpion Sting.

They don't inject the Toxin they do it by putting it in the open wound.

I keep a small 1/4 gal of Ammonia in the van. Keeps Bears away too! LOL

Frank,

Nice lizard !!! Havent run into one of those yet, ran across a Gila Monster once near some rocks in a wash. Cool pic though.

Dave

The chuckawalla is totally harmless...leave them in peace...all reptiles, especially turtles carry sal and friends...that is why many children get sick from having these "pets"...

They won't and can't bite you if you don't touch them...same with snakes, leave them alone and they aren't likely to be a problem...

Good advice.... Now that I am older I try to never hurt or kill these things I come across, especially scorpions this year. i just flick them in a diffeent direction.

Nice pics!!!!

Jerry

That lizzard stared at me for a couple minutes and then deceided to go about his business of getting deeper into the rock crevices as I continued detecting and climbing the hill.

No greens that morning that was a special day usually I walk up on a couple at least in that area.

Frank, reminds me of the time that I was out beeping, several hundred feet from my buddy. Very rocky locale. Suddenly I hear movement amidst the rocks behind me, sorta sounded like a leather bag being dragged over the rocks. I turned to look, the sound immediately abated, and I saw nothing. I turned back to detect, a little while later the sound repeats, but closer, off the one side, and now it seems like there were two sources of the sound. Again, when I turned to look, the sound abated. This routine repeated itself several times. It really sounded like the two "dragged leather bags" were moving ahead of me. Yeah, gotta admit it, I started to get a bit spooked. I decided to detect again, but whirled around just as the noise began again. Two 15-18" chuckawallas where playfully chasing each other, when they saw me they froze, stared, then split. Whew! Just lizards....