Nugget Shooter Forums

My Minelab will NOT detect Gold???

I still say and believe that evaluation is free ... If I were you I would call Brian and reconfirm. Seems strange it is $300 to evaluate for you over the phone and no charge to evaluate for me in an email. Kinda like the verbal is heresay and the written can be taken as evidence ... and just so you know that statement has no reference to you whatsoever ... just my analogy of the two facts on the table. I have no doubt you were told what you presented ... I just think he was quoting for more than just an evaluation of what may be the problem. Would you mind checking it out again if for no other reason than for all our collective knowledge? I'd be curious to hear. All I asked of Brian was "what would it cost to send a friend's GP Extreme in for evaluation"? And as you saw from my copied response from him "no charge for evaluation".

Mike F

Adam, Boulderdash and all, Mike is correct.

They have instituted a change in policy.

Originally they had the 300.00 for 3 or 4 hours bench time fee for examination/diagnosis.

A few months ago I helped out a neighbor with a ML P.I. that wanted it sent in and at that time they stated they were changing the policy if they could NOT repair the machine there would be NO minimum bench time charge.

Which is really a great deal now.

Truly a service friendly approach to us owners when needed.

Also the complete experience was a pleasure dealing with the Illinois location from start (phone call) to finish.

Lets face it unless you are capable of diagnosing and repairing your own problem.

Having to pay for shipping to and from the Minelab repair center AND generally a nominal fee for replacement parts on top of the 300.00 you will probably be able to get away with less than 400 or 500 to make a repair. Considering what a used machine in working order costs there price lines are favorable versus replacing the entire machine.

In my neighbors case they did replace some internal electrical parts after diagnosing it and I believe he ended up paying around 360.00 including all costs.

He went from an unusuable detector to one thats in prime condition now and capable of recovering that expense in 1 target recovery.

• 4 weeks later...

alot of minlabe modles do not have as high of frequncey as you might think. the peaces of gold you have desplade should on most major modle's have gave some what of a signal i own a white's gmt i can find match head size nuggets with it it's my best advice is to switch im not telling you what to do of course but you will find alot more small peaces of gold before you find a monster nugget.the gmt's run any were from 400$ used to 800$ new i have found thousands of nugget's with the gmt hope you find this usefull partner.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

alot of minlabe modles do not have as high of frequncey as you might think. the peaces of gold you have desplade should on most major modle's have gave some what of a signal i own a white's gmt i can find match head size nuggets with it it's my best advice is to switch im not telling you what to do of course but you will find alot more small peaces of gold before you find a monster nugget.the gmt's run any were from 400$ used to 800$ new i have found thousands of nugget's with the gmt hope you find this usefull partner.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Minelab PIs have improved greatly over the years with the newer models able to detect bits smaller than a rice grain quite easily where some of the earlier SD models may have missed them. But some nuggets because of their makeup or porosity will scream on a good VLF and even the newer PI detectors may not hear them. This id due to how the two different types of detector "see" the target. This is however a very small percentage of placer nuggets one would swing over, but it is what it is.

Though it is rare these days I still have some areas like mine dumps and a couple epithermal patch areas where a good VLF is a better bet than my trusty GPX, but I did say rarely. One of these spots I found numerous small rough porous nuggets the PI just ignored.

Yes indeed and it has to do with the way a PI detects a target and if a small nugget is porous enough to affect conductivity it may be ignored. Fortunately these type nuggets are not that common, but they are out there and a VLF will scream when going over one :D This can also be the case with some ore samples with visible tiny flakes of gold spattered through it, just not enough conductivity to get most PI detectors attention and they are ignored, again a VLF will scream....

There is no one perfect detector out there, but the newer Minelab PI especially the GPX series are as close as it gets IMHO and that is what I use almost exclusively....

• 5 months later...

I just returned from a trip out to Randsburg CA. I brought my GP Extreme with several coils, a Goldbug 2, and a GMT.

I also brought a small nugget - about 5mm across and fairly thin. I don't have a scale to know its weight. The GMT and GB2 detected it just fine but the GP Extreme didn't make a response at all - with any of the several coils I brought. I purchased several coils off Ebay: 3-11" mono's, 2-18" mono's, a 14" eliptical mono. I had repaired this detector myself - originally the connectors on both ends of the stock coil were flakey, short in the cable, and flakey ribbon cable in the unit itself. All this killed front end parts that I replaced. The detector works awesome for larger things. I'm wondering now if my detector could still have an issue. Only way to tell I guess is to find someone with another and test my nugget.

I had this happen to me last June on the beach:

This is a 'story' about how I found this gold chain and .5 carat diamond. Much of it was LUCK!

I sometimes hunt at night on the beach if the police allow it. Earlier this week I was out on the beach with my GPX 5000 hunting as usual coming across my normal $1.00 an hour of coins, tabs and other signals. I have never found a silver coin on the beaches after many hundreds of hours but that is another story.

At one point in the evening while using the 11" Double D coil I came across a signal and started digging. The settings I had were with the iron reject on 10 (the highest) and it was in Special coin/relic so I was getting good depth. As I dig most of the time there is enough ambient light for me to see what is in my scoop but I do have a clip on light for my cap. After a couple of scoops I decided to turn on the light as I was at about 6" and that was normal for what I was finding. I took a scoop and I saw a flash and some sparkle.

I have seen this before with there being many blood worms in the sand and I thought it was this. I tested the hole and the signal was still there. I took another couple of scoops deeper and still heard the signal but I wanted to see that blood worm and I scooped back on the scoop out pile and that is when I saw the chain because I still had my light on. It was hanging off of the scoop. It is a 21" chain that is about 1/8" in width with a 1/4" claw clasp. Later I looked at it and discovered that there was also the .5 carat, high quality diamond held by another 1/4" gold diamond loop. (My best beach find!)

That would be just a perfect story if it ended there but it didn't. As I stated, I still had the signal in the hole! I dug and dug and was down 2 feet and bigger with my feet in the hole and I just got so tired I stopped digging. I determined it was 'trash' and stopped looking in that hole. About 10-15 minutes later I decided to look more at the chain and saw some of the features and I said to myself, 'This is what I am really looking for and I have never found one, what does it sound like?'

I put the chain down on top of the sand, swung the coil over it and to my great surprise and dismay ... it did not register ... it didn't make a beep! :grr01: What? How can I find more if I can't hear this? I turned up the volume on my external speaker, changed timings, turned off the iron reject and basically tried EVERYTHING but could not see it. I'm now between mad and wondering how I am going to get it fixed.

All these hours on the beach and I can't see the most valuable stuff! I get a target and by 'accident' I scoop up a nice chain better than any coin could be. Maybe I should just take a classifier and just pour sand through it and find more accidental chains!

In the morning I called a dealer and he told me that Double D's don't see chains very good. He told me to take a mono and try that.

Next day I went out, tried it and I can see the chain with the 11" mono. I have to dig lots of bobby pins and other trash again but now I won't miss the good stuff.

Did you know your PI/Double D could be missing some good targets?

Mitchel

I've read that - there is a similar discussion I have on geotech about it. That is why I went on a buying mission on ebay last year. I don't have any friends with minelabs to test my coils so I tried to buy mono's. One coil I got was a 14" eliptical mono that supposedly is really good - but it doesn't register my nugget. I always bring test targets and try them first to be sure I will find what I want. I didn't think of trying a gold chain - I tried the GP at Corona del Mar and I think it detects better than the Surf PI Pro - but the Surf PI will miss this nugget too. The coil and timing are not fast enough. I'm wondering how the GP's self adjust for optimum timing. I mean it could be that all my coils are crap but I kinda doubt it.

Go to a smaller round Minelab Commander 8" mono btw, for the small targets. Extremely sensative on small targets. I use the 8" Commander and have found 'nuggets' if you can call them that will not read on my electronic gold scale.

As you eluded it is unlikely that all your coils are bad but it may be that for whatever reason they are too big for the target at hand. And one more thing ... I have not found subgrainer nuggets with myGPX5000 and 14" Mono eliptical coil but I have found measured 7.5 bird shot ... that is pretty small stuff and doesn't weigh much certainly not more than a few grains if that. It is an extremely sensative coil for its size. Point being the home repairs may not be the best and there is a slight possibility that the detector may be off. If it is still under warranty it might be a good idea to send it to Chicago for a checkup.

Mike F

• 1 month later...

Hmm I hope this doesn't come up as a double reply as I did reply once but the com link was marginal.

I did eventually buy a used 8" mono coil and it works great. Finds little tiny slivers of bullets 6" deep that sound like hard targets.

If there is any gold there this setup should find it but I have yet to be successful - my suburban lost a fuel pump 8mi. out in the desert and we never got to the claim area that was another 2 miles...

Ok, I have just come back from Franconia and my 5000 was 'beaten' soundly by a White's Gold Master. I found 1 iron and the Gold Master operator found 8 low metal meteorites (up to 50 g) and 5 irons.

I have been 'waiting and waiting' as everyone has told me to 'get the hang' of this machine but it seems I am inept. This is the first time I have gone with someone 'head to head' and taken his finds and see if I can make them register. I used a mono coil the first day and the dd coil the next day. I found a setting where it could find my tiny gold samples but could not see the meteorites of less than 10 grams. When I did get them to register I had to go so painfully slow that I could not cover much ground.

My only find was after I switched everything to factory settings and within about 10 feet I had a hit that was a small iron. I think my machines circuits think of the meteorites as the ground because I could walk around a circle, come back to the meteorite samples laid out and they would not register. There was no iron reject on.

I have had this happen trip, after trip after trip. My only finds have been big or man made objects.

After today of seeing this old technology outperform my technology I can't use it in Franconia any more with the expectation of different results. I have spent over15 solid days of detecting there and when someone gives me their little sample I shrug my shoulders and say my machine can't see it. (I did see a gold speci and a 123 g but any machine could have seen those.)

I don't know if they can test the circuits against meteorites and I know some of you here find small meteorites with your 5000s but I am nearly done trying. I get the feeling it outsmarts them. I need to send it in for a tuneup.

My hunting partner said a 2100 was a killer on these same meteorites.

Who has some advice for me and you own a 5000 on the small meteorites left in Franconia and Gold Basin? Is it only good on the big ones?

Mitchel

I will preface this post by saying that I wouldn't know a metiorite if one hit me in the head.

But DON'T GIVE UP ON THE 5000! You are having the same problem that nearly everyone has with it and that is until you have spent a lot of time experimenting and fiddling with it, the odds of having it in exactly the right setings for each situation are not good as there are dozens of combinations. It's hard for any of us to stop focusing on the hunt and focus on the detector.

Just my opinion.

To use the 5000 for chondrites I have found normal and general to be the best setting though I have no problem at Franconia or GB with sensitive and fine...

Factory preset is indeed the best way to start and adjust as needed when trying to learn a new detector or area....

Sometimes fiddling with settings you are not sure about or running settings suggested by others is not the best way to go and can lead to frustration.

Also remember just because someone with a different machine finds more targets both detectors will register on means only that they walked over more targets which has nothing to do with the detector he is using.

Hi Mitchel,

I was testing my 8" mono (above) on a GP Extreme. I've been to Franconia 3 times but sounds like you've spent much more time there than I. I originally used a GM2 and a Tesoro Tejon. I also have used a survey pin detector (magnetometer). I found a ton of mangetite, bullets, metal, etc. but no meteorites. The survey pin detector seemed like an awesome tool as it ignored the bullets - and found magnetites easily. I would think if the meteorites where there I'd have found one but it likely just comes down to location. I don't have means to go too far off the beaten track. All these detectors also found hot rocks. I didn't get much time with the GP as I only had an hour. My son used my GMT. Franconia is a very challenging and frustrating site. The wrong targets were all over the place but the magnetites came in patches and facing a certain direction on hillsides. A big difference between the mono coil and the other coils I have. Maybe all your coils are DD's?

I wonder if you'd be willing to send me a few samples to test of your meteorites. I could try with a few coils and the various detectors. I live in Trabuco Canyon - south Orange County.

I know a guy (that I bought the 8" mono from) that is finding lots of meteorites and some gold in Gold Basin with a GP3000 I think.

He is always buying a new coil for more coverage area or whatever he hears new and better. I think maybe you need the right coil. I got so intrigued with the hot rocks in Franconia I just collected samples of those to bring home :-)

Archived