Nugget Shooter Forums

I have a question, i am new to minelabs, i just purchased a used gp extreme, for nugget and lode searching. I have tried and practised with it a few times now, and it seems to work great, once tuned and balanced. BUT, I have couple pieces of gold, and it will not make a sound on them, ive tried almost every setting possible, but Nuthin!!!, the pieces are 1 small nugget at 0.6 Gram, and some natural gold in quartz, total W 6.5G, approx 2-3 grams of Gold in it. My garrett gti2500 screams on them, even the small Nug. BUT the minelab, not a sound, even with both pieces together. I understand these are Big Deep Nugget detectors, so am i screwed out of the small stuff??? I have the orig. 11 inch DD coil, and a 14 inch Coiltek dd, neither of them pick it up, but will scream on an old can at 4-5 feet!!! I keep hearing of people finding small sub gram nuggets!!! what am i doing wrong?!?!?! :head::grr01:

ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTIONS?????

Much Appreciated!!!

Can you post pictures of the gold pieces, there are some rare formations of gold that these detectors can have problems with detecting, but not many, it maybe that you just happen to have a couple of those types.

You definately came to the right place for that question as this Minelab crew is far more astute to them machines than any I've found anywhere else....bar none-John

the pieces that you have posted, especially the two bigger ones

should probably be sounding off.

If you can list the settings you are using

it would help those folks who are familiar with your machine.

I agree with Flak ... The two larger pieces should be easily heard ... Usually my personal experience has been that when gold like this doesn't sound off, it's a connection problem between coil and machine ... Or, you should try a mono coil ... The DD's sometimes suck (but sometimes in deep mineralized ground are great on the older ML's) ....If that doesn't solve the problem, send it to ML ... My guess is that you should have a mono, like a NF 14" E, in your arsenal ... Cheers, Unc

I also agree with Flak and Ron.....but before sending it to Minelab try using a mono if you can borrow one......

also test your DD with another machine to see if it's working properly....if you know someone with a GPX

machine they can test your DD/Mono coil with just a flip of a switch....

Do you get a manual with your machine? If not go to Minelabusa and to the GP Extreme download page and

print or save the manual there and read and test...

I never liked the "shallow" setting....it seemed to me just to much noise....also make sure your not in "cancel"...

Good luck

Definitely get a mono coil for that Extreme ... I prefer the NF 14 Advantage elyptical mono ... or if it is smaller gold you are trying for the 8" round Commander mono from Minelab is a killer coil for the small stuff. If it doesn't hit on the 8" Commander mono and all your connections are solid send it to Minelab for a checkup. The small expense of doing so will pay dividends for your confidence level when you know all systems are go!

Mike F

For chasing load a high frequency VLF is the preferred choice with the Falcon MD 200 the most sensitive.

How small of a target will your Extreme hit on?

First I would test on some solid nuggets or #4 lead shot.

You likely have found some specimens (not nuggets) that are to fast of a decay for your detector. I have seen much larger pieces that are invisible to PI's.

Its like trying to detect a fine gold chain with a VLF coin detector, I'm sure there are chains that your GTI will not detect.

Switches and knobs settings for small shallow targets.

All metal, sensitive. enhance, hight tone and the level adjust at full. Also the signal knob @ 2 o'clock this will produce a response the increases in pitch and volume.

Don't be afraid to push the threshold till is smooths out. the Extreme and the GP 3000 are very forgiving with a slightly higher setting.

And to think Chris G wrote that in 2001 when he was a mere 24 or 25 years old ... I think he is 35 now since he is the same age as my older son.

Mike F

The small expense of doing so will pay dividends for your confidence level when you know all systems are go!

Mike F

Small expense Mike?

Minelab wants 300.00 just to evaluate ( determine if they can even repair a problem). If they can , then you will get billed for the parts & labor that follows as well.

I don't believe the initial charge is that much ... maybe before they moved from Vegas ... but the Chicago shopseems to be more reasonable and willing to help. When I get back to AZ in July if I remember I will check with Chicago to see what a checkup on an out of date machine like the GpExtreme is. I'm in NH now on a bass and striper mission with my kayak. Remind me about the middle of June and I will check it out.

Mike F

Tested the detector again this weekend,, got a different piece of gold to test, it was an impure piece though, 2 gold rings 14k and 18k, and a natural nugget, all melted down together, total weight approx half ounce!! and the detector did detect it!!! also worked on a single wedding band!!! Thank goodness!!! I guess the original pieces of gold i had tested on, were either just to small, or very unique pieces, as that my gp extreme could not, and still will not detect them!!! Thanks for all the tips and comments!!!! Now I just gotta get one of the local gold mines to let me test it on an exposed gold/quartz vein!!! LoL good luck on that one!!!

Small expense Mike?

Minelab wants 300.00 just to evaluate ( determine if they can even repair a problem). If they can , then you will get billed for the parts & labor that follows as well.

Adam ... here is a quote from Brian in the service department at minelab that I just received based on a note to him asking about the cost to check on the operating functions of a GP Extreme ... I quote:

Hi Mike, hope you’re doing well with your GPX. The best thing would be for him to send it in, so we could take a look at it. Once we look at it we can give him a repair cost. There is no fee for us to look at it, so if he decides he doesn’t want it repaired it won’t cost him anything.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian Erne

Customer Care Coordinator

Minelab Americas | 1418 Brook Dr., Downers Grove, IL 60515 USA.

Customer Care: 1-877-767-6522| D: 1-630-401-8156 | F: 1-630-401-8186 | E: Brian.Erne@minelabamericas.com

Hope that puts to rest anyone's misconception of high expense to check out a machine.

Mike F.

Mike ,

My info was almost first hand from someone that sent their GP Extreme in about 3 months ago. Minelab aparently wanted $300 just to see if they could fix it.

Adam ... What can I say the information is right from the horse's mouth ... Brian is the tech shop coordinator. Examination and estimate is free ... pay for the work that needs to be done or they will send it back to you no charge without repairing. One caveat ...On out of warranty machines you wil probablyl pay postage/insurance both ways but that is minimal. If you don't want to believe what is written here give me your email address and I will give you the email I sent him and the reply.

Mike F

(Minelab wants 300.00 just to evaluate ( determine if they can even repair a problem). If they can , then you will get billed for the parts & labor that follows as well.) Here is what happend. When i sent in my extreme they did do a quick look in the machine. They said they saw a few burnt connectors there was no charge for this. Then they said we need $300 just for labor to pull it all apart to see if we can even fix the problem. Any extra parts or extra labor was going to be more $ out of my pocket and he said there was a good chance that it could not be fixed at all. So it was a $300 min just to see if it could be fixed. I told them not to fix it and they sent it back to me free shipping. I then sent it to my taxidermist where i had it stuffed and it is hanging on my wall.

Mike it was about 3 months ago and i think i talked to Brian. My Minelab will not detect gold....lol I did not want to take a $300 gamble on a maybe we can fix the prob and if we can it was going to be more money for any parts. I think i'm going to take up panning with my left hand and give up detecting.