Nugget Shooter Forums

First Jewerly Piece

So, I was detecting a new area that I had been interested in. Top of a hill in the gold country a couple of miles from the Gold Discovery Park, completely grown over with manzanita (handsikneea) and scrub brush.

Found this piece. Any ideas what it might be?

post-25522-0-95640000-1339279725_thumb.j

Looks like a Christmas tree pendant/brooch/ornament, too bad most of the gemstones are missing, I'm leaning towards it being a pendant with the loop at the top having been broken off most likely when it was lost by the owner.

It doesn't look to be made of any precious metal, but does sorta look to have been plated when new.

Skip

Geo,

I flipped it and to me it looks like a face with 2 eyeballs and a pair of glasses. weird...

Rim

post-26159-0-72794700-1339296570_thumb.j

If it's is indeed silver here's a blog that has good tip on cleaning corrosion off of silver.

This process was used for cleaning Spanish silver cobs found on beaches, but should do well on cleaning all but the tarnish on your find, but I would try to confirm it's silver before trying to do so.

Check out the first blog entry dated Tuesday December 30, 2008.

http://treasurebeach...&max-results=50

This process will not remove tarnishing but a good silver polish would or even easier try this.

http://www.ehow.com/...er-jewelry.html

(note this process will remove a tiny bit of silver, if the item is only silver plated I wouldn't recommend using this process)

Skip

Many years ago I found something similar on a long forgotten school ground....the school had been closed for many

years in a small town in Eastern Okla......I was showing it to some "old timers" and one of them had gone to school

there and he said it was a piece off one of the band members uniform......

:D Not too much flat land around where I found it for a marching band. I can see it now, band member hunched over his dig wearing his old uniform and wishing he was home.

Getting some acid to soak it and see what's under the corrosion.

Found two buttons and a musket ball in the same area.

Stopped by the El Dorado County Museum, they immediately id'd the piece as a shoe clip from the art deco era. Not tin and not pewter but a hodgepodge of metals. Glass stones.

Will make a nice piece in our hanging art of detecting pieces we wire together and hang in the trees.

They have a great program going if you want to know anything about any mining activity in the county. A gentleman with an extensive background and resource library is offering his expertise.

Geo not being the artsy type when was the "art deca era"?

Sure glad you got it identified....

1920's thru '30's. Which means your original post wasn't far off--many school bands copied that "look" for their uniforms.

GeoJack---that time frame may be a helpful clue. Many headed for the hills in the depression.