Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey All you Sutters Mill guys Riddle me This

I just saw a very small piece less than 10 grams for sale for over 3 grand.

What Gives ???

Are you guys in cahoots with Obama and his henchmen or what ????

Lets take some basic facts into consideration, quite a few pieces have been found by quite a few people, So now we know this is not a unique 1 of a kind specimen.

So what warrants these high prices ????

Is it just ( it is what it is ? ) Like you can ask whatever you want per gram ???

Clue me in here as to WHY such really high prices !!!!

Opinions are very welcome here.

Ya know if some guy has a brown cow and sells milk for 3 bucks a gallon and another guy has a white cow and sells his milk for 10 bucks a gallon there ain't any question which guy yer gonna get a gallon of milk from is there ??

But you may wonder/ question WHY ???

Frank the Sutters Mill meteorites are a very rare type called a Carbonaceous Chondrites and as of this date there has only been about 65 reported finds with a total known weight of less than 1 kilogram.

With meteorites it's all about supply and demand and the Sutters Mill meteorites have a lot going for them. First they're an extremly rare type, second witnessed falls usually snag higher prices, and third the TKW is low. When you put this all together and factor in the demand for them (high) the prices will be extrememly high when compared to something like a Gold Basin or Franconia ordinary chondrite.

Del

Thanks Del. I didn't know they were carbonaceous type. That makes a bit more sense now.

I have heard there are approx. 400 + grams accounted for already and even more that has not been reported.

So be it. I recently saw a 3 plus gram piece listed for more than 3 grand. God bless em if they can get it. It is what it is.

Prices are solid right now and maybe going up per gram if the right person is buying. Finds have tapered off. As the finds are moving into private lands, most are hesitant to allow the gps coordinates to be published. If the coordinates cannot be publish, neither is the SM#.

This is my first experience with stones from space and I'm liking it.

Nasa just requested permission to walk my property and my neighbors. Much smaller finds on this end of the strewn field.

Sure looks like not enuf peeps looking. Only 400 grams reported found? And it was the size of a van on entry? hmmmmmm????? Ya'll better get busy! Maybe a pond or a lake gobbled up the big pieces. GL for those of you who are still looking!

Rim

Rim,

Probably 100,000 manhours or more has been put into looking for this meteorite. It's a very friable, like a piece of charcoal, and likely most of it turned to dust when the mass exploded in the air. The low total known weight isn't for lack of trying! :)

Take a look at the area in Google Earth, 100% vegetation coverage, very small percentage accessible to public and even less of that is mowed or otherwise searchable. Just about every stone found was of the "it was laying right there in the grass" type, not out under a shrub or in deep grass.

The know field of finds give you an idea of saturation, or at least I look at it that way, so there is plenty more out there, just covered deeply in poison oak, manzanita and just about every other type of scrub bushes there are.

I have heard the number of reported finds stands at 65 right now. Pretty slim.

My M-I-L calls us Headdowners. Strange way to hunt for something.

Good tip for finds, take a 0-ring pick with you and your super magnet. Reseachers don't want a magnet near the stone but by placing your super magnet on the shaft of the 0-ring pick, you can recover the smaller fragments with surgical precision from the dirt and rocks. Works great!

Just curious guys. Have any of you seen any helicopters flying low over the field? If there was a chance of finding a 200 pounder maybe the rental would be worth the ride. :brows:

Rim

No helo's, just a blimp. I have been looking to purchase this though to look at my neighbors property without treading. Also, rain gutters and roofs.

HD video to your smartphone and recording.

Very cool.

No helo's, just a blimp. I have been looking to purchase this though to look at my neighbors property without treading. Also, rain gutters and roofs.

HD video to your smartphone and recording.

Very cool.

I saw one of these drones in the Charlotte N.C. airport being demonstrated while I was on layover flying back from New York last December, it was pretty cool, he was using a notepad of some type to fly it, he controlled it by using the notepad like a steering wheel/joystick, turning it left or right, tilting it up or down, etc., the guy said it's very hard to crash it, if the battery gets very low it will land itself before the battery completely dies, it also will avoid bumping into obstacles, the guy tried flying it into me and it avoided me each time, so if you get one make sure you have a good charge on the battery or you maybe donating it to your neighbor if the battery goes dead before you get it back to your property, but I guess that would give you an excuse to go over to retrieve your "it accidentally got out of range when I was trying out my new toy" giving you a chance to casually scan the ground while doing the retrieve!!! :idea:

It also transmits a HD video to your smart phone or tablet to give you the pilot's view of the flight. Can't wait to get it in this week.

Archived