Nugget Shooter Forums

Just watched a fall

About 4 minuets ago a saw what looked like a real yellow "falling star" but the very last second I watched it break into multible peices.

Like the end of a fireworks. Cool.

Very cool Blake...you must be outside, me too...I heard the dog barking nonstop, that always means snake, sure enough it was a long non venomous one and yet the dog had bite marks on her chin. An hour later she was at it again this time it was a rattler with its guts hanging out but alive enough to strike so I mashed it with a stick and threw it over the fence...I have a feeling this dog is not long for this world if she keeps this up, how did she manage to rip a hole in the snake and not get bit? It's gonna be a rough summer!! I gotta get my shock collar back from the neighbor and fast. I usually get about one or two snakes a year so far I'm up to about five and it's barely june. Enough star gazing for me tonight...take it easy and enjoy.

This is one of those snaky years .. Everywhere! ... My stepson works in an Oil Store in Medford, OR, and Thursday morning his crew found a rattler down in the oil changing pit -- right in down town Medford! Cheers, Unc

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've seen a lot of flashy falls here in New Mexico and they all seem so close. I can make out a lot of detail, ie multiple pieces, shower of burning material, but everything I've read about falls says that they are a lot farther than they appear. Does anyone here know how to plot a fall? I can't find clear how-to info on this.

Only thing I can do is Take note of some reference point like a Mountain or Tree.

Unless you see it go in front of something you have NO idea as to size or Distance.

I take a photo of the Perspective I seen them and the Reference point.

Print the photo and start drawing lines! LOL

Hi HomeFire,

I've done something like that using Google Map (GM). I establish a line of sight (LOS) that extends 100mi and start my search at around 5mi and then work out further. No luck so far but these are areas I go back to moving further and further along when and where I can. There is a lot of private property along the LOS path(s).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Just want to add, the thing that gives me a problem is plotting the trajectory. My understanding is that when you see the object falling and burning it burns out at around 50 miles high and the trajectory is what I'm after. I want to know how to plot what I've seen into usable coordinates. Right now, I feel like I'm making wild guesses based on a little work.

Thanks HomeFire! This is going to be really helpful. Just a quick read makes me sure of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw a large beautiful fireball Friday night (8/10/2012) in the western sky around 10:30 pm, mountain time. It was low in the sky with a rounded head and a very long tail; classic shape. It was green in color. It traversed south to north. It was very clear and I saw it breaking up just before it was obscured by a nearby tree covered hill. I know it was farther off than it appeared and lasted about 2-4 seconds.