Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
woodchuck

Info on Sawyers Bar area.

Martin, that sort of sounds like you may have been in Jessups Gulch, a known producer of large nuggets....I once loaned my Keene 4" dredge to a homeless couple who were desperate to find some gold to live...Well, they lowered it down a 300' cliff to upper Jessups... They started to dredge and, darn, if it didn't start snowing...So they scrambled up the mountain, leaving my dredge in the creek...They had run the dredge without protecting the pump intake and had sucked rocks up into the impeller which was shattered...They didn't even bother telling me they had pulled out and left my equipment up there... I only found out when I ran into them in Raley's parking lot in Yreka where they were begging with a "help us we're homeless" sign...That's when I found out they had abandoned my dredge...My mining partner and I climbed down the cliff in a couple feet of snow and drug it back up the mountain ... Anyhow they had trashed the dredge so bad, that was the end of it...A month or so later they had the cajones to show up at my ranch begging for food and a place to sleep ...I was not polite ... Just another Sawyers Bar adventure...There were lots of them...Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron
typo

Thank you for sharing a very interesting and detailed account of a great adventure.  Well written indeed!  

Jeff

Ron, he said a "mile or two" West of Sawyers Bar. Jessops(spelled this way in 1911)gulch comes in right at Sawyers Bar. One mile would be just below Jackass gl. and two miles would be at the Little North Fork.

LipCa you prob are right...I do know there were some homestead or cabin remnants at Jessops ... Isn't Jackass where the big boiler and other parts were? Scoped it out 40 years ago or so ..Very interesting gulch! ... Cheers, Unc

That boiler is on my claim......  40 years ago!!

Don't know why I didn't know you...

• Like 1

Hey if you haven't already check out two toes on YouTube. Cool old timer that has some great informative videos on detecting in Northern CA. 

Also this website has info on most major producing gold counties and general areas where to prospect. Good Luck! 

http://www.goldfeverprospecting.com/cagolopapr.html

• Like 1