Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello,

I found this while riding my dirt bike through a large sand dune area in Yuma Arizona (USA) , it stood out because it was the only rock I could see as far as I looked. It weighs 1 lb and is magnetic.

Any thoughts on it?

Thanks.

012-2.jpg

013-2.jpg

014-2.jpg

015-2.jpg

First thought is it is volcanic. You need to do a ceramic streak test and window the stone. Those two tests will tell you a lot about this rock.

Troy

This is not a meteorite, but go ahead and window it, just for fun. Take a file and file one end to show you what the interior of the stone looks like.

Troy

First thought is it is volcanic. You need to do a ceramic streak test and window the stone. Those two tests will tell you a lot about this rock.

Troy

I have no clue what your talking about ;)

Please explain.

Mike,

The "streak" test is rubbing the specimen on an unglazed piece of ceramic, i.e. a tile, the bottom ring on a coffee cup, or the underside of your toilet lid, the color of the streak on the ceramic or lack thereof will help determine what the item is, almost all minerals, rocks, certain metals, etc. will create a streak on the ceramic, you can also buy "Streak Test kits that have white and black ceramic plates in it, some specimens may leave a white or very light colored streak which would not be visible or hard to see on white ceramic, and the opposite with a black or dark colored streak.

Generally most meteorites don't leave a streak.

A "window" is filing or grinding a small spot on the specimen so you can see the interior of the specimen, this is most often done for helping in IDing some meteorites, instead of cutting the specimen.

Skip