Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

highbanker58

1902 Quarter hiding out in Gold Country

I was out this weekend with my GPX 5000 working a wash in the mountains above Stanton Az. looking for that yellow metal. I got a faint signal in the middle of a 30 ft. wash. I excavated the sand down 12" and hit hard decomposed granite.The signal was blowing my ears off by then.I went down another 4-5" and it was still in the hole.I got out my pin-pointer probe and slowly scratched down another inch. And there it was......... a 1902 Barber Quarter, it is in VERY GOOD condition for being in the ground for all these years.It has very little wear, all of the edge lines and words are like new,a few light scratches,and a little discoloring. What a find, I can only imagine how it got there. Went after GOLD and came home with SILVER. ANOTHER GOOD MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!!! Dave

That's a memorable find, Dave.

Happy Memorial Day!

Paul

Awesome, Dave ... How about a photo? !!! Cheers, Unc

What a great surprising find.....those old silver coins are beautiful...a close up pic would be appreciated....

Nice quarter!!

It having an S mint mark makes it more valuable than the other 1902 quarters, it still not a "Key Date" but still worth between $50 to $150!! :thumbsupanim

Skip

Nice find Dave! I wonder who lost it? haha!

Rim

Rim-I don't know who lost it, but I'd bet it was a LONG time ago. For it to have 6" of packed decomposed granite, with a 200 lb boulder on top, it has to be OLD. Where else can you have this much fun????

That is a real nice one!!

Bunk

HB58.....that was a great recovery of the quarter.....have you wondered how it got below (6" of packed decomposed granite,

with a 200 lb boulder on top?).....what's the largest coil you have or can borrow? ( that's a hint)....

That is a great find HB !! Hang on to that one, it might not be as valuable as gold in the monetary sense but you'll remember that find forever.

Garimpo- I was using the 8" Commander, and changed to the 11" Commander Mono that came with the 5000. Dave

Dave not knowing the area or the history for it I really doubt that quarter got under a 200 lb. rock by being dropped

there....I would grid that area at least two different directions with a 18" or bigger round mono coil.....go so slow that

the buzzards start circling......

Great find Dave, Old Silver like that is HARD to come by these days!!!