Nugget Shooter Forums
highbanker58

Africanized Bees in Stanton Az.

Uncle Ron and others ... All the more reason why I carry a couple of capsuls of Benedryl in my battery pouch. It may not save your life over a long period of time but it will extend the time you have to get out of the danger zone and into a vehicle headed for medical help if you are allergic to stings. My mother was highly allergic and carried an epie pen everywhere she went ... fortunately I am not at least so far ... but just to be sure I want a chance to get out of trouble if stung. Benedryl will slow the effects of Anaphylaxis (aka Anaphylactic Shock) which in part is the closing of your breathing mechanisms and eventually leads to suffication and death. Taking Benedryl immediately upon being stung will slow the process to give you more time to get help. Be careful out there.

Mike F

I have an anaphylaxis response to the stings.

My last run in with the little buggers was while driving down the 60 in Mesa, AZ (not to be confused with CO :) )

Was truckin along on a nice spring day and ran through a bunch of splats on the windshield. Felt something hit my neck in all that.

I peered forward to see what was stuck to my windshield wipers and saw yellow and black. Looked down in my lap and saw the one that'd hit me. It had ricocheted off my mirror and right into the skin over my left Carotid artery!

About that time I started to feel pain in my neck.

THANK GOD! There was a hospital at the next exit. I literally made a right turn across several lanes (4 I think) and hit the exit to the hospital. Parked in the emergency lane and ran in the doors to the protests of the security dude. My neck was already swollen as hell and my throat was closing. This is with the two epi pens I'd emptied into my thigh.

The doctor found the stinger still in my neck. In my rush, I had forgotten the first rule: scratch it out, then hit the pen. The stinger can continue to pump for quite a while.

Could not have been stung in a worse place, but better location.

My reaction over the years has gotten less severe, but that one was just not a good place for anyone to be stung. Much less someone who has almost died a couple times from a single sting.

I did accidentally inject myself once when I was younger. I was showing someone how to use one, with what I thought was my training pen. The wrong click sound clued me in, and I learned the ten second thing isn't really necessary. Want to talk about speed! My heart was a mile a minute and my BP was pretty low, but it really only lasted an hour or so, with a jittery feeling (like too much coffee) for a few hours.

Yep, Keep one in the Van, One at home and one at the school for my kid.

paulbee2.jpg

He sure doesn't look like a happy camper! Not fun for a kid to have to have something like that slow him down.

Mike F

LOL! When a bee lands on him now he sounds like a Girl Scout with a Frog down her blouse.

Can you blame him? LOL

Homefire - Frank can attest that I could likely break crystal glasses with my squeals. Not something you grow out of LOL

That was good reading....... thanks,

Joe