Nugget Shooter Forums
highbanker58

Africanized Bees in Stanton Az.

Amen UR best $60 you ever spent,safety for kids,gkids,guests and neighbors rocks-John

I retired recently from the city of Lake Havasu City. At one of their weekly safety meetings 5 or 6 years ago they played a video put out by the state of Arizona on bees and bee attacks. They said at that time all bees in Arizona are africanized and very dangerous. if you are attacked just try to cover up and get out of their territory. It wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a can of bee killer this time of year in your pack. they are very active and aggresive in hot weather.

Has anybody ever used this stuff called "Wasp Freeze" Good/Bad? It got really good reviews on Amazon.

Joe

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

Here in Arizona the Africanized bees are so bad, the fire dept can't get enough juice on the swarm without getting several stings and thats a 3-4" hose with a pump behind it. A spray can wouldn't help much.I'm usually hunting alone and don't want to try it against a swarm 4-5 feet wide coming right at me with BAD INTENTIONS written all over it. The survivors have hundreds of bees in their nose, ears and mouth when they are rescued. i just hope I won't ever have to find out. Dave

that's what i thought! Not being originally from Arizona i'm just not sure what to do if attacked while out in the desert...... from what i read i figure a good set of head gear would help.

Joe

Besides wearing white or lighter colored clothing,,,,,,,,,,,,,further protection would include not wearing any perfume, aftershave, cologne, deodorant/antiperspirant.

FLower print shirts are definately not a good pick from the closet..

AS far as running or just playing possum when a swarm passes over you/approached by a swarm, it all depends on whether they're under "red alert" :evil1::smack: or just moving to another area :inocent: .

CArbon dioxide sets them off!! so if walking along and the bee activity suddenly rises around you( bumping/pesky bees) slow deep breathes( hold it if you can) will keep you more at ease and the bees wont get riled by your global warming breath :brows:

LOL..... I'm sitting here practicing holding my breath....It's not so easy. Playing possum is! :thumbsupanim

Thanks for the info.

Joe

I retired recently from the city of Lake Havasu City. At one of their weekly safety meetings 5 or 6 years ago they played a video put out by the state of Arizona on bees and bee attacks. They said at that time all bees in Arizona are africanized and very dangerous. if you are attacked just try to cover up and get out of their territory. It wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a can of bee killer this time of year in your pack. they are very active and aggresive in hot weather.

To flip the coin a little, I have a buddy that works on invasive plant species for the DOA, but I`ve talked with him about the bee situation. He had said that as the offspring of the inbreeding between european honey bees and the africans strain was creating a mellower african strain of bee.

I would assume that with the overwhelming number of european bees in our country , that eventually the african strain may be breeded out? Sound correct ?

I hope that's true .......but somewhere i remember reading that the African Bees somehow take over the hive of the European bees and then kill the European bees off..... I may have this story off somewhat so please correct me if i'm wrong but i really hope your friends information is correct

Joe

Its an interesting concept ....There must be some proof positive info somewhere on the subject of inbreeding...arent there like scientists for this kind of stuff? or maybe there are ongoing studies that havent been formulated yet.

On the other hand. In the area I drywash at the bee`s are very friendly , and seem to enjoy hanging around the drywasher itself. I can be working the grizzly , and they just buzz around me ...Almost as if it out of curiosity. And a friend can attest to the the fact that the big wasps love when we are around with canopies set up. they really enjoy the shade ,and just kind of hang out in literally high numbers, but they dont bother anyone, just mind thier own business......its actually pretty cool

european honey bees and the africans strain was creating a mellower african strain of bee.

I would assume that with the overwhelming number of european bees in our country , that eventually the african strain may be breeded out? Sound correct ?

Just what the UC CAliforniaAG Extension office told me here in SAn DIego.

They're pesky and can be deadly but all drama years back about being overrun by them whilst everyone joins in a chorus of""" LIons and tigers and bears AND BEes, OH MY!!"" isn't so applicable today.

That is NOT to say that there aren't still, extremely agressive/essentially true to form,African honey beess out there still.

THere are, as evidenced by continued attacks or at least "bumping" far away from a hive.

Out here in the burbs of SOuthern CAl- not so much,

All my talk about cold soapy water( at night only!) works- learned from Ag extension, firefirefighters and beekeepers and on two hives on my property that I got rid of myself. One in a tree and another in the water meter box on the sidewalk. THat little hole in the lid and potential leaks inside( and cooler temps) make a perfec tspot for a small hive. Had to use some fine mesh galvy metal screen on the backside to keep them out after they were all dead.

National Geo mag had a whole series of articles on this very subject. Bummer is the stronger animals genes survive and the nice european genes don't change a thang it seems. BUT as all eco typr mags could be pr/bs to incite the natives-John

This reminds me of a situation I and a lot of fellows off road folks found ourselves in a few years back...

Out in the Florence Junction area (Martinez and Woodpecker Mine areas) we held the annual AZ State Association of 4 wheel drive clubs' Jamboree every year. Well, I always signed up to work, so I would get a shirt to ID me as a staffer. One year someone had the brilliant idea to use gold/yellow for the shirts.

We were required as trail leaders to wear them when leading groups.

Boy howdy did the bees LOVE those shirts!!

I am deathly allergic to the damned buggers and at one point exited my running, in gear Jeep when they came after me. My locked and low-geared Jeep continued up the trail at about 0.5 mph as my lily white tail ran up the canyon side at about full-Olympic sprint speed!

The dang Jeep made it up and over the obstacle without anyone on board. I tried the obstacle later and got stuck!

Needless to say, we all either went shirtless or grabbed a white t-shirt and used a marker to write STAFF on the front n back for the rest of the weekend.

Oh, the days...

This reminds me of a situation I and a lot of fellows off road folks found ourselves in a few years back...

Out in the Florence Junction area (Martinez and Woodpecker Mine areas) we held the annual AZ State Association of 4 wheel drive clubs' Jamboree every year. Well, I always signed up to work, so I would get a shirt to ID me as a staffer. One year someone had the brilliant idea to use gold/yellow for the shirts.

We were required as trail leaders to wear them when leading groups.

Boy howdy did the bees LOVE those shirts!!

I am deathly allergic to the damned buggers and at one point exited my running, in gear Jeep when they came after me. My locked and low-geared Jeep continued up the trail at about 0.5 mph as my lily white tail ran up the canyon side at about full-Olympic sprint speed!

The dang Jeep made it up and over the obstacle without anyone on board. I tried the obstacle later and got stuck!

Needless to say, we all either went shirtless or grabbed a white t-shirt and used a marker to write STAFF on the front n back for the rest of the weekend.

Oh, the days...

Glenn Sgt. Frank is gonna love reading this story.....belly slapper for sure :ROFL:

He already heard it.

But, at his age and with his memory, it'll be like the first time every time he opens the thread :)

Reminds me of my uncle and me.

I was like 5 years old in UpState NY.

My Uncle and I would dair each other who would use the shortist stick to smack the Yellow Jack Nest on the barn.

Then we would hall butt to the house jump behind the screen door watching them try to get us.

Well after we did that a few time that day, my Auntie decided it would cool to Lock the door.

Ten Second after we made it to the door and couldn't get in them Yellow Banded Devils had there way with us.

Man we had them up our shirts, in our pants and any other places they could get.

Anti Got a good butt chewing when Grandpa found out what happened.

Then he made use two go out and spray the nest with Turps and Oil. LOL

Well I can say one thing. I may be old but I can out run Glenn. That's why he is the perfect prospecting partner. I don't need to out run the bees just Glenn. He is a bigger, slower target. Goes for bears and mountain lions also. Plus if anyone starts shooting at us I'll just stand behind him.

There you are Glenn....a cop always falls back on their training.....it's called "muscle memory"....partners hava another

name for it :evil1:

Don most times a big guy out front or running behind is good. They can backfire on you though. Had to to knock down and cuff a guy in his briefs. I had the guys feet and my huge partner sat on him. When he sat on him the crap shot out the guys ass like toothpaste out a tube. Not good but a lesson learned. So Glenn when the bear sits on you I won't be grabbing your feet.

SGT ... LMAO .... Too funny!

You've never seen me run, though, Frank. I might just surprise you. :)

If bees come after me, it's noting but ass n elbows.

Problem is you'll be able to run farther and not have to go see your doctor for an injection afterwards :S

Amen Glen as nuttn' will get ya movn' faster than po'd bees-John

I remember a huge nest of them black bees up above the box canyon (one mile) on the Hassayampa River around 1986 or so. It was close to the Green Turtle mine if anyone remembers that one. On the South side of the river, high above the water on a steep ledge.. Around where the old 50's Dodge Desoto was with the tree growing up where the engine use to be. Probably Uncle Ron might know the area. Just below the flats where a house was and a couple acres of flat fields are. I wish I had a camera back then!

And how many remember the old bikers bar in Wittman by where the people overcross is now. I can't remember the name of it now. I know its long gone now.

• Like 1

Up in the Klamath Mountains about 1980, my mining partner, Glenn, and I were looking for float down in a steep ravine below a big mine dump....Back in those times I had a very big full beard and real thick long hair ... The morning before we headed out I took a shower and discovered we were out of shampoo ... But my daughter had some purple grape scented kids shampoo so I used that ... I left the ranch smelling like a big pitcher of grape kool aid ... Anyhow, we got down the ravine about 100 yards just slowly walking and talking and looking down, every now and then finding bit of quartz with little gold bits sticking out ... While we were talking, Glenn just casually looked up at me and his eyes got huge ... He shook his head, frowning at me, then softly said, "Man, you are f*cked!!!" I sudden felt a strange sensation on my face and looked down to see massive swarm of hornets completely covering my beard!!! ... Glenn didn't miss a beat, jumped up and started running back up the ravine to the top of the mine dump where the truck was parked ... I reach both hands around my chin and beard and yanked as hard and fast as I could, ending up with a ball of hornets in my hands ... I started running up hill with those critters swarming all around me and chasing me, stinging me alot ... I got up to the mine opening which had about a foot of water standing back inside about 20 feet from the portal .. I flopped face down in the water and started rolling around ... After a minute or two the swarm went away and flew off ... Glenn came up the ravine and came into the mine ... He helped me stand up and walk outside ... He walked over to open the door to the truck and I looked up at him ... Right in the middle of his back on his levi jacket was the imprint of my boot ... I didn't even remember passing him on my flight up the hill ... HA! He got stung a couple times but I had over 30 stings ... As we were driving back down the mine road I started getting queasy, but other than some serious itching for a few days nothing worse came of it ..... Funny now, but sure as hell wasn't then! ... Cheers, Unc

scented shampoos, soaps, fabric softener and anything herbal will attract bees and wasps...they think you are a flower. Adult wasps eat nectar and bees gather nectar...btw, bees will attack anything that is dark and light colored...they think you are a bear or skunk...

the lesson is don't try to smell pretty or be pretty when detecting...