Nugget Shooter Forums
highbanker58

Africanized Bees in Stanton Az.

While out detecting yesterday, I started getting bumped by a couple bees. I could see there were hundreds of them up ahead of me in the wash, flying in and out from under a large flat rock. I quietly backed up and climbed the hill to get around the hive.

I was alone, probably 1/2 mile from my quad and 5 more miles of VERY bad 3 MPH road to get to my RV. There are no buildings or places to take cover up in this area.------ What are the rest of you doing to protect yourself if you were exposed to this bad situation? These bees will attach for no reason, going for your eyes, ears, nose , and mouth, stinging you through your clothes in places you wouldn't think they could put a stinger. Dave

• Like 1

Them Rascals can open a wupass.jpg on you no time flat.

My son tangled with them last summer and got STOMED!

We had to get a few Epi Pens in case it ever happens again.

post-21985-0-01519300-1338174823_thumb.j

I do encounter the bumping bees from time to time and immediately reverse my course ... You can't fight them or outrun them even on your 4-wheeler ... When they warn you, stay warned and pick another place and time for your hunt in that area ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

It doesn't sound likebyou ran into Africanized Bees. They don't tend to bump before attack. And when they attack it is like a Blitzkrieg

These sound more like normal bees warning you that you were too close.

I ran into a few bumping bees this weekend, too, as I was tooling around Weaver and Antelope around Rich Hill. Wonder if we were in the same area??

I was in the Rhino with flat orange paint.

I also stopped in at Loy's (the prospecting shop right before Stanton) on Sunday to shoot the breeze as I was leaving for home.

He has those electrified fly swatters. He took down a yellow hornet with it. It suns them to the ground, but ya gotta squish 'em immediately before they get recombobulated.

It might wreak havoc on your detector when on, but would work for any flicking bug, I would guess :)

He says he sells the crap outta the things up there. Wish I'd stopped in on my way IN for one :)

Them African type go for the Eyes and Ears. They don't mess with the Rest of you.

We had a 70 year old man get put down by them just a 1/4 mile from where my kid got hit.

One of his dogs was killed and the other Blinded and has no Nose left.

Why they saved that dog I don't know. The poor thing is a mess.

I wear a full head wrap that I have made here locally from old hammock material....very heavy....it not only

helps protect my head and neck but it's good to wipe the sweat out of my eyes with....I probably get

stung more than most folks so the wrap also is big enough that I can pull the sides around in front

of my face for protection while I'm running (and hurting).....

Locally about one person a year here dies from bee stings.....usually it's a farmer on a tractor or operator

on a dozer....most are stung 70-100 times.....there is one place I know of and there's probably more that

have colonies of African bees......several times I've been beeping and hear a low roar and look up to see

a black cloud of bees coming toward me.....that's when I immediately drop to the ground and hunker down

until there's no more noise...

I've gotten to the point that when I see one bee or hornet I go into yellow alert....if I see two or three my feet

are already doing their thing and that action has saved my hide several times....

It doesn't sound likebyou ran into Africanized Bees. They don't tend to bump before attack. And when they attack it is like a Blitzkrieg

These sound more like normal bees warning you that you were too close.

I would think they'ld "bump", but just much farther away from the hive as theyy 're quite a bit more terrritorial.. Ag extension here in CAli state that just about any wild hive you encounter( suburbs or country) is hybridized africans..

( for informational purposes only)>>>>>>>>>> SHould you find a hive on your property,a spray of cold soapy water after sundown nails 'em-cold shocks them/ soap suffocates.

Garimpo If you wrap a whole hammock around your head wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a turban.....Jerry

Sorry if I mis-led you there pondmn....if I get rained out again tomrrow I'll post a pic of my head gear....

WH if you take a spray can like WD40....or hornet spray and put the little red tube in the nozzle then hold

a cigarette lighter or match(you sure don't want it to blow out) just in front of the red spout then mash the

spray button and you'll get about a two or three foot flame that will fry the stinging critters....works better

than giving them a bath....

That also works good if you tape a cigarette lighter to the can just under where the spay comes out and

if you have a window peeper or uninvited guest the wife can take their eye brows....nose hair...ear hair....

and most of their face with this little "flame thrower"....gives you time to lock and load....

Sorry if I mis-led you there pondmn....if I get rained out again tomrrow I'll post a pic of my head gear....

WH if you take a spray can like WD40....or hornet spray and put the little red tube in the nozzle then hold

a cigarette lighter or match(you sure don't want it to blow out) just in front of the red spout then mash the

spray button and you'll get about a two or three foot flame that will fry the stinging critters....

I let you try that trick on a hive up close :ROFL: mr G.

Myself, I can stand back a good 40 feet and lay down a soapy hypothermic suffocating mist (after dark). That's their sleepy time and they stay that way.

A Warning for those of you who frequent the LSD area claims RR group directly north of HW 6o east of the gravel plant; several of the deep washes have huge hives in the bedrock high above the wash, you can see the honey running down, looks like oil, these hives are near the wells in the bottom of the wash, they killed a horse 2 years ago when I lived in Morristown . These claims are 1 1/2 miles N of HY 6o at MP154, acess is via LSD wash, then E of the gravel plant.

Don't know what hillbille is doing in his avatar but his head wrap is similar to mine.....

post-300-0-45252000-1338391388_thumb.jpg it's great for keeping your head cooler

when the sun is trying to fry your brains out.....plus great for wiping the sweat out

of your eyes....and with the hat on on top of itpost-300-0-58782400-1338391398_thumb.jpg

a lot of protection from bees and hornets.....especially when your being hit and stung

while your running pull the sides of the wrap around and hold it in place in front of

your face....

On the front I made a good sweat band out of a wash cloth and then the Velcro pieces

on the ends...

Good observation. Actually Africanized Bee's do bump. You are correct they are very territorial and the bumping is a way the sentry bee's try to warn off a potential threat. When you are being bumped by one or more bee's just turn around and walk away and that will likely be the end of your encounter.

The wasps,hornets and meatbees are absolutely thick this year,same as them stinkn' rattlers also. Extremely strange convalution with nests removed weekly from my house where I've lived for 11 years and NONE ever have I had to remove :grr01: . Africanized?thank god not yet but they're in the great san juaquin and that's proven fact so only a matter of time? dam-John

There have been several people killed and lots of dogs by bee attacts in the last few years in the Phoenix,AZ area.

If you do a Yahoo search you will get 15,000 hits for the area over the past few years.

Max

I have Africans across the street who have a nest in their house wall. The bees visit my pool for water. When I'm floating in the pool they land on me take a drink and off they go. If you swat at them they go nuts.

Can't they live with the Africans. I only get one or two strays

Not when the colony splits,and they all do,then YOU have the real problem when they come to your house-John

Unfortunately around here, the agencies won't pay for the removal until the public is already injured. Public safety isn't an issue until the damage is already done.

Are these the same folks who don't take care of jack crap around their place? The doctor guy?

Let me get stung and send them the hospital bill plus damages for something they could have easily prevented. The closest hospital to you is on Dobson, right? Just in case - as it's impossible for me to meet my killer and not get a little freaked out.

I have Africans across the street who have a nest in their house wall. The bees visit my pool for water. When I'm floating in the pool they land on me take a drink and off they go. If you swat at them they go nuts.

Forclosed/ bank owned? Maybe city code enforcement can get on the banks behind to kill the hive.

spray button and you'll get about a two or three foot flame that will fry the stinging critters....works better

than giving them a bath....

That also works good if you tape a cigarette lighter to the can just under where the spay comes out and

if you have a window peeper or uninvited guest the wife can take their eye brows....nose hair...ear hair....

and most of their face with this little "flame thrower"....gives you time to lock and load....

The flame thrower treatment is after the soapy water treatment( which works fine and can be done( with good water pressure)) from 50 feet away ( or more). All traces of honeycomb must be destroyed or else they will keep coming back. I have a propane weed flamer that can blast a great amount of heat from 10' away. I would not even consider going after a hive w/ flame until iit was well after sundown and most of the bees had been killed from soapy water spray( which is all that FD's use). Within 30 secs they are taking their last breath..

We had a swarm of African's (more politically correct, African-American), bees about 6 years ago take residence in an out door storage cabinet behind our garage ... There seemed to be gazillions of them and we couldn't even get in and out of our vehicles without being buzzed and bumped ... Anyhow, we called up the local Wickenburg pest control and they had a technician out within the hour--Who turned out to be the cutest little blond chick you ever saw ... She talked to us about the procedure, then donned a form fitting white protective suit with head cover ... She then rolled a 2" hose off a reel on her truck and proceeded to blast the hive with white stuff ... After a couple minutes, the entire hive was dead and she cleaned up the residue ... Our cost was about $60 and well worth it ... According to what the tech told us, the chemical was non-lethal to humans so there was no residual problem ... Cheers, Unc

I've been "bumped" a couple of times down Greaterville way...Never out in the open but in the gullies. It's not a pleasant experience and those gals (all worker bees are female) mean business. Turn around and walk away and for god's sake don't swat at them or kill any of them.... An injured or dying bee will release a pheromone that will trigger an all out assault on you.