Nugget Shooter Forums

South-Western Connecticut Meteorite?

I found this 1-1/2 lb. half-softball sized rock in my lawn in South-Western Connecticut a few weeks ago. It made a 3" deep impression in the ground and it wasn't there previously. There was no grass under it so it may have been there for a few months. It is blackish-brown, shiny glazed with lead colored imbedded chunks with streaks in it. I think it could be a meteorite. Doesn't react to a magnet on a string The only tangible clue so far is that it was half embedded in my lawn which otherwise had no protruding rocks. I was told it could be a large chunk of Obsidian but how did it get in my yard? Anyone in this group have any thoughts?

post-26266-0-44082400-1337989134_thumb.j

It also looks like slag that is usually found near railroad tracks. The glassy surface over a rocky core is common for slag.

Cheers,

Jim K

I have a friend with a similar story. His rock looked like slag also...I tried to get him to let me cut it and send it in for testing...

yours does look like obsidien to me though...why or how or how long it was in your yard??????????????????who knows

fred

@Mike - No volcanoes here in Connecticut

@Jim - I think there were railroad tracks nearby that were taken down over 50 years ago; frost heave could have pushed it to the surface

@Fred - I know it wasn't there last year or I would have hit it with the mower

Any way to test for obsidien? Thanks.

Any way to test for obsidien? Thanks.

http://www.saltthesandbox.org/rocks/obsidian.htm

"How to recognize obsidian:

Obsidian is mostly black in color. Surfaces and cracks maybe stained tan or brown by weathering.

Obsidian looks glassy-In fact it's made of naturally formed glass, not crystals.

You cannot scratch obsidian with a nail or knife."

"Other rocks that look like obsidian:

Coal:

Some coal is black and glassy, like obsidian.

However, coal draws a black line if you scrape it on the sidewalk.

(Obsidian draws a white line, or no line at all.)"

Skip

@Mike - No volcanoes here in Connecticut

Not today, but millions of years ago there were. http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1995/5/95.05.01.x.html#e

No idea how or why it ended up in your yard. Maybe it fell from a plane, or was ejected from a factory smoke stack or something.

• 10 months later...

After mulling it over for almost a year, I concur that this is not a meteorite - non-magnetic and much too shiny. So, if it is obsidian, how did it get embedded in a Connecticut lawn.Did it fall from the sky? There isn't any volcanic activity in this area. Still very puzzled by this rock.

Rudy, rocks get moved by people for a variety of reasons...without the responsible person to ask it will always be a mystery.

if it is obsidian it will break like glass...you could try chipping a corner to see...

that was a long time thinking...I bet your wife gets irritated waiting for answers to her questions....

fred

Well Fred, my wife gets irritated at pretty much anything I do but that's another story. I would feel comfortable saying what I found is just Anthracite coal or slag as there used to be trains in the area but I obtained a genuine piece of snowflake obsidian for comparison and darned if it didn't look the same right down to the little snowflakes. I'll try the scratch test.