Nugget Shooter Forums

Beach hunting with the GPX5000

I am taking my lady to the beach tomorrow so she can swing her 705. I was thinking of taking my 5000 as well, just so I have something to do other than stare at all the hot women...lol. Don't worry, my lady stares with me, too. So what type of settings should I use, and what kind of coil, also? I have never been interested in beach hunting so I have absolutely no clue where to start. The coils I have are the 11" DD, 11" Mono, 17" NF Advantage, 17" Mono Wallaby, Platypus DD, and the 8x6 NF Mono!

Also, are there any special concerns I should have when it comes to beach hunting with this machine...for example, the sea air getting inside? Thank you.

Chris,

You will have fun on the beach digging lots of targets! I use nearly every one of them depending on how much you want to dig. Today I went to a beach in Torrance and got a faint hit with the little commander coil I go with the machine. I think it was auto tuned on salt or sharp. I started digging with my sifter scoop that has a magnet in it and I dug and dug and dug for longer than ever in the dry sand 50 yards from the water. I had to get into the hole and sit and dig at about 18 inches I got the target. It was a Capri Sun juice flexi pack! The air and moisture has not affected my machine.

Before I went to that beach I was at another beach and found many bobby pins, nails and trash and some change. When the sun came up I looked down the beach to the south and there were 3 guys with detectors and the same to the north but I still had fun. Beach selection is important just as looking for nuggets. If it is hammered it is hammered.

Last advice, auto tune, don't worry too much about ground balance and if you use the Double D you can turn up the iron reject and avoid digging so many targets if the beach has lots of nails.

I wouldnt bring a 5700.00 dollar machine anywhere near saltwater/air . Just help her dig targets with the 705, and that should keep you busy enough.

Really good beach hunting is found at Gold Basin.... :head:

Adam & Mitchel, thank you both for the replies. I am actually kinda excited about trying out the beach hunting, but just as Adam touched on, I am REALLY skeptical of taking such an expensive machine so close to the water. I do have the GB Pro as well that I could probably take. Just wish I had that big 11" coil for it. Would make things a lot easier.

A few years ago I saw a man beeping on a beach so I went over to talk to him....immediately I saw his machine had a lot

of rust on it....I asked him how long he had been beach hunting for that much rust to start and he said only one year....if you

have to take the 5000 I would wrap it in a plastic bag while on the beach and then when you get home give it a sponge

bath.....and take the Platypus DD coil....you may want to get in the water just a bit and when you get home hose down the

lower shafts and the DD coil....other than that X2 what Adam said....

Chris,

I was recently helping a fellow with his 5000 out in the Dale. He had been using it at the beach for 5 or so trips. Even though he said he wrappd the control box good in a plastic bag you could still feel the corrosion on the toggle switches. I can only wonder what the inside of the box must look like. I would leave the 5000 at home and take the Gold Bug. Even if you wipe it down well after use you still can not get the insides.

With that said, there is a guy that goes by the name of Rex Goliath that posts on Chris's forum that does quite well on the San Diego beaches with his 5000. I have seen pictures of some nice rings and so forth that he has found. You can also feel the corrosion on his toggle switches.

Leave the 5000 in the desert and take a pair of dark sunglasses so your fiance can't see what your looking at.

Good Luck,

Dave

Thanks for the replies, gentleman. I decided to use only the 705 at the beach, and then stopped at another location to use the 5000. No luck again with the 5k, but we found $0.77 at Huntington Beach. I actually enjoyed the hunt on the beach today. It was my first time doing a beach hunt and I was amazed at how relaxed I was. I could still hear the sound of the waves rolling onto shore while wearing my headphones, yet the signals were loud enough for me to hear as well. It was really muggy down there today, too, so I am kind of glad that I didn't pull the 5k out. My clothes were damp by the time I was done just from the moisture in the air. Looking forward to the next time.

Dave & Garimpo....those are exatcly the reasons why what little bit of brain I have left told me to leave the 5k in the truck. I figure it only takes me getting lucky one good time to pay for a damaged 705, but there's not enough luck in the world to cover the cost of the big guy. The 705 worked great. I was amazed at how many tent stakes I found on the beach along with nails, screws, bottle caps, and TONS of little ketchup and hot sauce packets. If I kept even one little kid, or adult for that matter, from getting cut or impailed by picking up the trash...then the day and the $0.77 was worth it.

Great Thread! I fellow I know here in New York, brought his GPX 5000 out to the beach with me a few weeks ago, and was scoring quarters at 28" that sounded like coke cans!

I use a Tesoro Sand Shark, and I max out close to 19"-20" but I can get in the water with it, and hose it down afterwards. Up on the dry sand you really need BBS or VLF so you can knock out iron. Honestly, most of the good gold and silver is only 5" - 15" deep anyway, so the 5000 is probably overkill.

Terry, that was why I was thinking of using the 5k to begin with was for the depth. One of the pennies I found with the 705 was probably 8" deep or so. I was so close to the water that at about 5" or so my hole started to fill back up with water.

I have decided to sell my GB Pro and pick up a excalibur. I really wanted to get down in the water but couldn't with the 705. That should pump up my enjoyment level even higher.

Terry, that was why I was thinking of using the 5k to begin with was for the depth. One of the pennies I found with the 705 was probably 8" deep or so. I was so close to the water that at about 5" or so my hole started to fill back up with water.

I have decided to sell my GB Pro and pick up a excalibur. I really wanted to get down in the water but couldn't with the 705. That should pump up my enjoyment level even higher.

You will be thrilled with the Excal! Most people modify them right out of the box with a new shaft here on the East Coast, and the knobs are a little fragile for my taste, but it will knock out iron and still get 15". Just a great water machine. Good luck with it!