Nugget Shooter Forums

possible find

post-25896-0-78243500-1337663631_thumb.jpost-25896-0-47157700-1337663651_thumb.jpost-25896-0-77169700-1337663571_thumb.jHi guys, long time no see. I've been moving along on my school project on meteorites/geology. Went to Reno over the weekend to see the eclipse and decided to visit a dry lake bed or two. Found this one with a magnet on a pole. Streak test leaves light grey to no streak. Any help with identification is welcome.

Thanks

simon

Hi Simon.

Blurry pics but the last one isn't bad.

It has the general look of a possible meteorite.

If I were you and wanted to know more I would grind or file away an area on it to expose the interior and get a good look see for any metallic flecks and or rounded chondruls inside.

Heres a couple example photos

GOOD LUCK

post-562-0-50565100-1337691319_thumb.jpg

post-562-0-83452200-1337691971_thumb.jpg

So,good to know you are alive and pursuing your quest...I thought you were just scamming me/us for some obtuse reason...glad I was wrong.

File the least attractive side down with a sharpening stone not a file...if you see metal flecks it is certainly a meteorite...

fred

I'm having a little trouble grinding it down, any tips on how to do this?

Fred: I'm sorry if you thought I was just joining to scam you guys. I've been dealing with health issues, school, and other hobbies and just haven't found the time to come back to the site. This is only the second time I've been to a dry lake bed, I'm hoping this turns out to be my first find.

Lay the largest file ( fine surfaced ) you can find flat on a surface and hold it tightly in place with 1 hand then with the other hand grasp the piece firmly and rub back and forth untill you develop a slight flat spot

Then brush away the dust from it and I like to wet 1 finger and wipe the flatspot this will make the surface highly visable for a brief period untill it evaporates. Easier for old eyes to quickly see the texture that shows.

I carry a large file with a big handle in my bucket when I go out for just that purpose.

No worries Simon...now Frank, I just said to use a whetstone...I am older so respect your elders!!! just kidding...a file will work, as Frank said ; or a whet stone course then fine side......just file down a smallish area until you have a good view of the interior of the rock...use a 10 power glass and look for shiny metallic inclusions...it appears to be a quarter sized piece so I would grind an edge down.

When you move the magnet close does the rock jump hard to the magnet or is it rather sluggish, or does it barely stick?

is your magnet a super or not-so-super magnet?

can you get better pictures?

fred

Denny, without some very expensive and fancy lab equipment the window is a cheap and definitive test to prove it is...However,it is not definitive to prove it is not a meteorite...but with better pictures or actually seeing the rock in person one might forego the file...

fred

i will bet it is one You can see the chlondurs {sp}? and those thubprints, You got one.You really dont want to put a window in it if you don,t have to.

Denny, I think you're a bit ahead of yourself. Those pictures are small resolution and not very clear; definately not enough to say for sure that it's a meteorite.

From what I see it looks like magnatite to me. Magnatite fits your streak result, too.

No worries Simon...now Frank, I just said to use a whetstone...I am older so respect your elders!!! just kidding...a file will work, as Frank said ; or a whet stone course then fine side......just file down a smallish area until you have a good view of the interior of the rock...use a 10 power glass and look for shiny metallic inclusions...it appears to be a quarter sized piece so I would grind an edge down.

When you move the magnet close does the rock jump hard to the magnet or is it rather sluggish, or does it barely stick?

is your magnet a super or not-so-super magnet?

can you get better pictures?

fred

Needs to be held somewhat close to the magnet to attract, but it does stick somewhat. I am using a neodymium (sp?) magnet. Still trying to file down a good corner...and I will try to get better pictures today.

simon

May be it is just i have found a few up there and that one looks very simular to what i have from a few areas in nevada, Also i work real hard to not insult my teachers Like John B and Paleface, Also there is very definate tumb prints on it I wil try to post the one i have and well see, Also they are light to a magnet

Sorry Simon...can't discern the details...where is that whet-stone...or file...

fred

I'll get on it Fred. Was hoping that pictures could identify it enough to omit filing it down, oh well.

Looking at the third pic, near the bottom curve there is what looks like a bulls nose...some little bumps on the hump between the depressions...that is where I would file it...if you don't want to file it just hang on too it until you meet one of us meteorite hunter/finder types...

another option, send it to me and I will give you an opinion, I won't deface it without your approval...

Really, a file/whetstone is your easiest track...without filing it your should see some tiny, shiney tips of metal that have been abraided from the wind and rain...assuming it is a chrondite of sufficient metal...

fred

Hi guys, here's a quick update.

I took the fragment to a friend whose family has owned a rock shop for about 60 years. He is very knowledgable on topics from fossils to gemstones to meteorites. I asked him to take a look at what I had and to give me an honest opinion. He replied that he is 90% sure it is a meteorite, and would be incredibly surprised if it was not. Needless to say I'm pretty excited, and I'm sorry that the pictures so far have not helped with attribution. But if the guy I took it to says 90%, I believe him. I'm overjoyed.

This is all part of my senior project, and this is a great step in the right direction.

I've found you can't trust geologists, gemologists, or rockhounds when it comes to meteorites.

Some people spend years looking for meteorites and never find one; the odds of you picking one up on your first (?) time out are on par with winning the lottery by only playing once.

I'll still wager it's magnetite. Grind off a corner, I bet the inside will look just like the outside. Do a bulk density test, I bet it comes in about 5. Check out this piece of magnetite I have, looks very similar to your find.

dsc00465p.jpg

dsc00467d.jpg

dsc00466fo.jpg

I've found you can't trust geologists, gemologists, or rockhounds when it comes to meteorites.

Mike, I agree with you 100%.

Simon, cut, file or grind a window into your rock to see the inside. If it has metal flakes or chondrules then you may have a meteorite. But judging from your fuzzy photo's I doubt it.

Jim

I'll grant it does look similar. But in my honest opinion, it does not look the same. And if it was, I would assume that the owner of the gem and rock shop would have identified it is magnetite if it was. One thing that made me suspect it was not magnetite was it barely left a streak during a streak test, and it is barely attracted to a magnet.

I would assume that the owner of the gem and rock shop would have identified it is magnetite if it was.

You know what they say when you assume? :D