Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold from the pocket

Yo All ... I chased down a small quartz vein in some greenstone schist recently ... After a couple days of following crumbs up a hill I hit a pocket ... Butt ugly gold ... But near 5 ozt. of butt ugly gold can grow on you ... Anyhow, I'm fixing to dolly it all up and smelt it ... Can't wait to see how much finished gold I get ... I'm thinking about 3 ozt. The largest one on the upper left weighs 2.5 ozt. ... The big flat one (1.8 ozt.) has the vein like a sandwich throughout itsself ... Cheers, Unc

post-9-0-34753800-1337126300_thumb.jpg

Thats some awesome gold Ron, how far down did you dig the pocket?

Dave

Well, here's a little more detail on how I traced it down... In this particular general area I have found quite a few ounces of gold over the years but most of it is somewhat water worn and in gulches ... In general, the gold is found in or near greenstone schist, which is the rock you see surrounding the gold ... This particular vein of gold occurred on the contact zone of ironstone (black and magnetic) transitioning to an oxidized iron schist then transitioning to the greenstone schist .... On the other side of the vein containing the gold is the opposite mirror image of oxidized iron schist then solid ironstone ... The ground on both sides of the greenstone schist is very hot and hard to ground balance out but the greenstone is not particularly hot ... There is a good deal of quartz blow outs in the area, as well, but not really near the location of the gold bearing vein ...One other mineral of note throughout the area is iron pyrite ... I found the area by hiking my butt off and looking for schist and old prospects ... This area has quite a few 6' x 6' shallow diggings about two to three feet deep ... They appear to be all hand dug since I found no evidence of blasting caps in the rubble around the diggings but did find at least one pick tip ... The old timers did not dig out 100 cubic feet of solid rock for fun, so that suggests to me they found something on the surface that encouraged them enough to go for it ... I'm quite certain there are other pockets in the area like the one I found ... I tracked the pocket up the hill by finding small one to two DWT bits which were in the small stringer vein which ranges from 1/4" to 1" in thickness ... All the little ones were more or less in a straight line going up the hill ... When I passed my coil over the pocket it screamed, even though the main part of it was down about 16" ... Whew, writing all that was almost as hard as doing it!!!! Hope this helps ... Cheers, Unc

GREAT INFO RON!!! This is the kind of info I have been searching for here and else where. Tks!

Rim