Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab GP 3500 - What coil is the one?

I just bought myself a used GP 3500 and was wondering what you all would recommend for my next coil purchase. I'm currently using the stock 11" DD coil that came with it. I'm looking for any and all advise you all may have as I'm totally new to the Minelabs. Thanks!

My suggestions would be either the Coiltek Gold Stalker 14" Mono Elliptical or the 14" Nugget Finder Advantage Mono Elliptical. Both are very sensitive to smaller gold and are lightweight. Also good at finding bigger gold at decent depths.

Chris is right about the two 14" mono's but don't throw away that 11" Rd DD....with it you have two coils when

using the 3500 when and if you get into some hot ground....my favorite mono is the Nugget Finger 17" mono El...

it's deeper....still sensitive to small gold and covers more ground with each sweep....also to consider is the amount

of vegetation your going to be working in....I love my 3500....good luck

You won't go wrong with any of the Minelab Commander coils...the 11 inch mono is very sensitive...the bigger e-mono is very good and less money than the other brands. As for weight just take the coil cover off...with proper coil control you do not need to grind the coil on the rocks and gravel...Yes, I know most people do that but I find the noise irritating and distracting...that extra 1/4 or1/2 inch is not really that critical...especially to a beginner...

A better bungee system and a Hip-stick will aid you in proper coil control and save your back, arm and shoulder...

I am not knocking any brand just giving you more options...the fact is that any coil will find gold, there is little difference from one to the other and it really becomes a choice based on what succeeds and works for each person...

And, used coils can be a good choice as long as you can trust the seller and hopefully try the coil first.

fred

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. I'm thinking I should get a smaller water proof coil for hitting the creek beds around here. Is there any particular smaller elliptical coil that is water proof that you guys would recommend?

just be sure the manufacturer declares it waterproof...the joey and UFO's from coiltek are good, I believe that nuggetfinders are now waterproof to two feet under...I donot think Minelab has made a waterproof coil...water resistent is not the same...buyer beware...

fred

Grubstake is right about the Coiltec Playtus being waterproof and so are their 19" Rd DD (don't remember it's

name) but I have two and I love them and their out of production....and so is their big and small UFO being

waterproof.....here's a rather old list of their coils and specs.....

http://coiltekmanufacturing.com.au/coiltek-specs.htm#three