Nugget Shooter Forums

Cleaning Nuggets with CLR

Got out detecting today for 2 hours, had to cut out early as I got a call from the wife. But while heading back to the car I received a good signal, sitting on top was a 2.2 gram nugget. The nugget was covered in caliche, and I let it soak in CLR for an hour. Its amazing how good this stuff works cleaning, and it starts to bubble right away eating at caliche, and calcium buildup.

Dave.

post-1046-0-81396400-1336788983_thumb.jp

post-1046-0-29514800-1336788703_thumb.jp

Nice one, Dave ... That CLR kicks butt on the caliche ... I usually soak for a while and then put it in the Gem Oro and then repeat both steps as necessary ... Then, sometimes I finish them off with a toothbrush and baking soda scrub ... WTG ... Cheers, Unc

Gem Oro is the brand of an ultrasonic cleaner.........

Yeah, I got one off eBay for around 20 bucks ... Works good .. I wore out a couple of one's that were some China off brand a few years back that I paid around 30 plus bucks for ... They sure do work good on removing crude and caliche and clay from nuggets, but you do have to break down the caliche with CLR or LimeAway (latter seems to work a bit better) ... Cheers, Unc

Thanks for the info I'll go get one.I had a nugget cleaned at a jeweler, it was a cup full of liquid with a bunch of very tiny little rods and used magnets to have the rods move around the nugget. It cleaned up the caleche problem real well, and shined the gold. Dave

Thanks for the info I'll go get one.I had a nugget cleaned at a jeweler, it was a cup full of liquid with a bunch of very tiny little rods and used magnets to have the rods move around the nugget. It cleaned up the caleche problem real well, and shined the gold. Dave

Dave that sounds like voodoo to me ... You might instead try the CLR and Oro gem ... Or, an alternative, popular in the mid east is to have the nugget sucked and gargled by 72 virgins ... I only tried that one on a half ouncer, but, darn, it sure did work good ... Those girls could gargle like a boss ... And it was fun to watch ... Of course, that was Persian gold located with a Coiltek with the hand of a thief mounted on top of the 12x15 coil with ShooGoo ... I think CoilTek is coming out with that model 1215ThiefHandSG, for the middle east in about two months or so ... comes with its own camel ... :rolleyes: :hahaha: Cheers, Yer Unc in the Dubyah

And don't forget the free turban...