Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nugget Shooter

Miners moss or ribbed carpet?

Really interested in your opinions and why you prefer one over the other for a dredge sluice box, thanks in advance....

Bill, unless you have a really good water flow, miners moss, won't work well it will load up, ribbed carpet is better, if you have you angle, set right, and your water flow is moderate. I feel it doe's a better job in a sluice, but its a different story for a dredge, I always ran half and half. Grubstake

I'm like grubby....I think the carpet catches the really fine stuff better so I put it on the bottom and the moss

on the top....

Carpet under Moss and a well tuned water flow/sluice angle. Only speaking for a dredge. Other very important often overlooked part of the equation is how well you control the amount of material being sucked up. Ribbed carpet by itself can fill with black sand, the moss has much more capacity. The carpet under the moss may not really be important, but I think it helps keep the gold from moving under the moss.

Hey all: 30+ years of dredging in Kalif. (when we were legal!) and I agree with El Dorado... I used that combo (moss over carpet)

in my 8" subsurface (known for losing fines) and could average 7 dwt/day of 40- in good gravel. Thanks to all for the great input

you provide on the forum. El D. has the Omega sold yet, I haven't heard from M,M or P recently.

Ausome (allen w.)

I use this setup for my "Tom".

8" wide sluice, 16" of crash box, 3' of slick plate, 3' of Rough Top conveyor belt, moss under 3/4" expanded alum for 3', moss under riffles for the next 6', followed by ribbed carpet the last 4'. Run about 2 1/2" to 3" of water on a 1" to 12" slope, depending on material, sometimes a little steeper.

Well i like the carpet better myself. My dregde does have the miners moss but it is hard to clean up in my opinion. Eventually i think i will put carpet in to replace the stock miners moss. It just seems like it loads up to me to fast and does not hug the bottom as well as carpet. Never tried both together so maybe thats the ticket. I like to turn off my dredge and see color up front on the carpet and miners moss makes this difficult and hard to judge if i am in a good spot, unless of course theres a big piece stuck up there.

I just hate cleaning the carpet. It is a pain. Moss loads up faster when you have lots of black sand but it holds a lot as well. It needs cleaned up every few hours. I just never feel like I can get all the fine gold beat out of the carpet and I can see that the moss is clean. I recently ran a short test trying to overload my long tom with black sand and a small amount of flour gold. I laid the new gold hog matting in the sluice. I put a catch tub under the sluice and fed the gold in mixed with some classified material and a few gallons of black sand. It looked like the matting was plugged with black sand the entire length, but it was dancing. After I panned the tub, I didn't find a speck of gold. It was all still in the sluice. Then, I increased the angle to 4 inches a foot and really poured the water through. The sluice was all white water. It dumped more black sands into the tub, but again, no gold left the sluice. I was very impressed. Yesterday I refitted the dredge with gold hog matting, so I guess I am all in for the opener of dredge season at least. My one cent. I haven't been doing this long enough to have my opinion worth two whole cents.

I did have to take out the dredge riffles and build new ones. The new ones are just flat stock spaced every six inches across the seams in the gold hog matting that hold it down tight in the sluice. I put stock at every seam so that I can remove the individual gold hog matting pieces for faster clean ups. I ran about ten inches of slick plate then six inches of the UR matting (the short stuff that almost looks like vmat) then a foot and a half of the UR under 3/4 expanded metal, then the more aggressive scrubber matting with the build in riffles in the bottom. To prevent gold migration under the matting or down the sides, I lined the entire sluice with no slip rubber shelf liner. The shelf liner really works well as a base layer no matter what you line your sluice with. I intentionally put the scrubber matt in the lower part of the sluice to reduce turbulence and catch fines in the top. We don't get much gold bigger than flakes. For my stream sluice and clean up sluice I was experimenting with, I ran with no riffles at all and the matting stayed put, but I thought with the higher flow in the dredge, and not being there to watch it that I would feel better if it was mechanically held in place.

I don't want to hijack this thread, but if anyone else has been experimenting with the gold hog I would appreciate knowing what they have learned. Minus the gold hog, the moss in the top and carpet in the bottom is a good choice.

Attached is the absolute best I've used,and now 1,000 of other full time miners,is this shaw Veranda unbacked 54163. Much higher staggered pile than keene,lets 50 mesh migrate through to hold,cleans easily,cheap and lasts forever as that piece shown is over 25 years old and many MANY 10's a 1,000's a hours in outback ops. Moss impacts like cement with the first plugup and adios from that point on as must clean every time engine is shut down. Test it yourself and proven fact and ya never go back. The stagger increases you holding area considerably and the bumps are hollow pile that suck them microfines down to safety. And no I do not retail for many years now-tons a au 2 u 2 -John also sometimes known as aggregrate marine/outdoor also as takes a heck of a beating too.

post-23710-0-36668700-1336744691_thumb.j

Thanks for the great info guys and it was exactly the type input I was looking for. I have dredged very little over the years so glad to have help with my questions.

Had a 3 inch years back I used some and now have a 1.5 inch since it seems to work better in the shallow creeks I have access to here in Arizona.