Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Nugget Hunting... What setting do you use with the xterra 705

I will be out in the dry highly mineralized desert of arizona with the xterra 705 and i have two coils to use; The 5x9 Ellipical HF DD and the 6" HF DD. I plan on using the ellipical to cover more ground and then switch over to the 6" when in noisy area's...... Some tell me to put it in prospecting mode and dig all signals but others have said to put it in coin/relic and all metal with nothing notched out and dig all signals. I realize this is not a PI type detector and have heard it does a pretty good job for a VLF....... What mode do you set yours up when nugget hunting?_____ Any and all help good or bad is appreciated.

Joe

Try different modes and settings until you learn what is best...either dd coil and prospecting mode is where I would start. In prospecting you can adjust the iron blanking from zero to 20...depending on the hot rocks you may want to adjust this up from zero...read the directions/manual and practice. In trashy areas I would use all metal, two tones and dig any non-iron signals...you are better off digging everything to learn what the detector is doing...in other words get a signal, "guess" what the target is and then dig it to see if you and the detector are one...

good hunting

fred

Buy a little test nugget. An 8-grain nug was just a few bucks and at about the limit of what my detector will read. Lacking a real nugget, nip a small bit off a fishing weight or .22 slug. Lead detects similarly to gold, close enough for testing, and no biggie if it's lost.

I taped my test nug to a 2" square card and added a string so I could bury it and retrieve by following the string down the hole or pulling up on it.

Lay it on the surface or bury it an inch or three and find what settings seem to pick it up best in the actual ground you'll be searching in. I also made similar cards for coins and common junk items. Nothin' better to learn your detector than experience, even if you have to fake it a bit to start. At least you'll know there's something below the coil!

-Ed

Bill....

That video was a good reference on how to set up the prospecting side of the detector as i didn't know about tone and i still don't have a complete understanding of offset ground balance but i will figure it out. I like the way he set up threshold too...... thanks!

Fred...... right now for coinshooting i have it setup for multi tones (99) with nothing blanked out ....i will try the two tones and dig everything and try to guess before the dig..... good advice.

Ed....I took some lead pellets and flattened it then cut it into about five different sizes from very small to full size pellet and have been testing it in the yard at different heights.... I sealed them in different sealed small baggies to help in recovery..... great idea....... I also just now purchased a small gold test nugget to sharpen my skills.

Thanks all for your input and i am sure this will help a whole bunch.... definitely appreciated :)

Joe

Ed..... I received my .117g gold nugget and have been testing it and in prospecting mode will get a signal on the surface down to about an inch ....in regular coin mode i seem to get a bleep in one direction..... my lead test pieces of similar size sound just about the same but this sure helps in setting my speed and settings. thanks to you and the others i am starting to get a feel for this. I guess this is not a fair test but my gold 14k wedding band gets a real good signal...

Leaving in a few days to drive to the east coast to move some family so won't get to have much fun here for a few months but my test pieces and everyone elses recommendations sure help and i really appreciate it from all of you.

Joe

ps.... that .117 gram nugget is really small for $12 wish i could afford a bigger piece LOL

Joe; the idea of a small test piece is to enhance and train your skills...if you can find the tiny bits the bigger pieces will just be that much easier to find...the xterra will find smaller pieces than two grains but don't expect that little bits will be detected at depth. In detecting everything is relative and variable...that is why it is very difficult or impossible to completely clean out any area...

keep practicing

fred

Joe; the idea of a small test piece is to enhance and train your skills...if you can find the tiny bits the bigger pieces will just be that much easier to find...the xterra will find smaller pieces than two grains but don't expect that little bits will be detected at depth. In detecting everything is relative and variable...that is why it is very difficult or impossible to completely clean out any area...

keep practicing

fred

My .117 gram test nugget turns out to be 1.8 grains so the xterra 705 is picking it up and will be a big help in my learning and i will keep practicing and thanks for the encouragement and guidance. When i get back from this long trip in the fall i am going to join one of the local clubs to be sure i'm not swinging in a restricted area..... I live very close to the Gillette ghost town (near new river/black canyon az) and while i see that Gillette is now privately owned and no trespassing the "Aqua Fria River" right near it may be a place i can try out?