Nugget Shooter Forums

Sutter's Mill Hunt

Hi all, took a couple days to rest after the hectic non stop hunt at sutters

mill/coloma. When the news broke Team Vegas (Rob C, myself and Rick) headed out and were boots on the

ground wednesday morning. It was definitely a learning experience for everyone

in our group. AFter three days of hunting the the main areas and seeing first

hand some of the finds being made, we began to think we would go home skunked.

Finally on the third day everyone scored some small pieces of the fall!!

Although they are very small, im very happy to have them, as they represent alot

of time and effort.

On a amusing note by the third day the place was a zoo! I saw a guy with a

magnet tied to a fishing pole casting it into the grass and reeling it in, 5

people lined up next to each other crawling through the grass on theirr hands

and knees searching the grass, a guy dragging a huge 3 foot u shaped magnet

(like you see in roadrunner cartoons) on a chain through the dirt, and more

people metal detecting than you can count.

Attached are a couple pics of our finds which were looked at in the field by a couple of pro's and were verified. You can see the shiny bubbly fresh fusion crust on them, along with the CAI's. I have since sold some to a generous buyer, and they are on the way to ASU for research.

Anyway as others have said this was definitely one of the most difficult hunts

ive been on in terms of terrain, huntable ground and several other factors, but

it was the hunt of a lifetime!

Terry Scott

P.S. On a side note I MAY head back up to Sutter's Mill on Monday, and may be looking for someone to share gas exspenses.

P1000905.jpg

P1000857.jpg

P1000852.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Pictures Terry!

Man, I've got to get a better Macro set up!

Heading back up this morning. Will be on the road about 7 am.

Jim

I have to share our find information with the group. I was down looking in the rain last Thursday with medal detector and magnet. Then spent the rest of the day just looking after I found out those items don't get er done.

Friday, the wife and I put together a plan, I had mapped out the approximate locations of the finds from the day before and backing up on the strewn field decided to look on the other side of a big hill. We parked the car and started walking the road shoulders until I came upon a mowed area that I began to grid. My wife was across the street, crossed over to my side and had just walked two steps into the grass, bend down and came up with the 8.5. less than 20 minutes into the search.

Watch as I walk up to Rubin Garcia to confirm the find.

http://www.fox40.com...ite#pl-62897476

IMG0146%20%28640x547%29.jpg

IMG0152ws.jpg

Beautiful piece with just one corner busted out from the impact.

The search has moved north from the original finds.

If you want to visualize a strewn field, pick up a handful of gravel and dirt and toss it underhand out in front of you on a clean surface. What falls right in front of you is what is being found. The rocks and larger pieces have yet to be discovered. The search area I used was only 200 yards wide according to the found pieces I knew of.

Anybody coming out today or tomorrow, give me a call. 530.748.8880

DO NOT TRESPASS. STAY ON COUNTY MAINTAINED ROADS. RESPECT OUR RESIDENTS.

If you piss everyone off, the rest of us suffer.

Great photos, guys. Congrats on the finds! I'm planning a trip up there at the end of summer after all the plant cover has died off.

Rumor of a 8 lbs monster on the forums this morning.

Aloha,

What forum are you referring to when you say there is a rumor of an 8 pounder?

Aloha and stay safe out there.

Stan aka Kaimi

Hi all!

I posted a picture, a Garmin gdb (ver 3 ) datebase file and two Google Earth kmz files for the Sutter Mill area Strewn. One of the Google Earth files is from Rob Matson. This will give you the ability to quickly see the field. Note that the data is from Peter Jenniskens data and that we know of additional finds and fragment recoveries not on the map.

http://k7wfr.us/sm/

Jim

Determination paid off for you Terry. Nice finds.

I just got back from Vegas and I am going back to finish some work soon I'll stay in touch an see if your goin back to detect more pieces I may be available to share expenses.

Just loaned my .2g find to NASA for testing. Unusual crust formation, no stone. Black as can be so not considered to be volcanic basalt. Very fresh. Hopefully it will test positive as another find for us.

Also, when speaking with NASA person, she mentioned that the preliminary findings are so different from normal CM type meteorites, that it may get it's own classification. Very cool.

How many pounds have been found so far? Anyone have a rough idea?

Steve

Just under 1 pound!

Jim

Just loaned my .2g find to NASA for testing. Unusual crust formation, no stone. Black as can be so not considered to be volcanic basalt. Very fresh. Hopefully it will test positive as another find for us.

Also, when speaking with NASA person, she mentioned that the preliminary findings are so different from normal CM type meteorites, that it may get it's own classification. Very cool.

Jack,

Did you get pictures of it?

There is a gal running around there that "might" have a meteorite. Her name is Jennifer, if you run into her.

Jim

Same one I showed you Jim. Ruben also stated he didn't think so. Still, was just to convinced that it is part of this fall regardless of the looks. NASA was curious as well as too black for basalt and none around here. I'm thinking it is a large piece of crust that cooled quickly and didn't take on the smoother look of the stones. We'll see soon.

Only met one woman this morning just after 10 who had some roadway to confirm. Showed her some pics of what they look like and off she went.

Just under 1 pound!

Jim

That's all?? I was expecting much more then that considering the estimate of the original mass. (which I can't remember but it was pretty good sized) This is beginning to remind me of the Pasamonte fall where they estimated the mass at between 1000 tons and 1,000,000 tons , yet very few stones were found as the rest went up in smoke...

Steve

That's cool, Jack, I'll be interested to hear the results of their investigation.

And I'm really excited to see when the classification science starts getting public, that's going to be fun!

They by chance look anything like any of these?: http://photobucket.com/KTMan-SM

Magnetic and most all but two are distinctly soft flat black with finer flecking than the rock on the roadways. I was thinking maybe yes they could be uncrusted frags like the two small frags in your pic above..and then I have another really small oriented looking thing like the last one in my first group.

Kevin