Nugget Shooter Forums

Opinions on find

I found something while meteorite hunting in the Bristol Mts. this past weekend and I cannot convince myself it is not a meteorite. I've got a nice collection of meteorwrongs that are things I've spotted from a distance, but as soon as they were in my hand it was obvious they were terrestrial, but this one has me waffling back and forth. I've posted about it in a few spots on the net already, so my apologies if you've already seen my picts, but I'm looking for opinions as to what it may be. Granted that's tough to do from a photo, I really need to cut it open (I don't want to file a window into it for fear of what it might look like when I'm done with it, and if it does turn out to be something I don't want an ugly file mark on it), but for the time being all I've got to go on is its look and bulk density.

I thought it was a piece of charcoal when I noticed it standing out against everything else, and I picked it up very idly thinking I would just toss it aside, but when I looked at it up close, it sure looks an awful lot like a fusion crusted fresh stone. Under a 10, 30, and 45 power loupe it still looks a lot like fusion crust, convincingly so, but it just doesn't seem like a meteorite. There was nothing else like it in the area, or any where else in all the miles the six of us covered.

This thing weighs 20.45g, is not attracted to a magnet, and does not register on the GB2. Its bulk density is very low (relatively speaking), only 2.4 g/cc, another signal to me it's probably not a meteorite; it's not friable enough to be a CI or CM and those are the only meteorites I know of that have BD's that low (maybe some eucrites?). I have to say it photographs well, and in person it is much more dubious. It sure is curious looking. Anyone have an idea what looks like this that is not a meteorite? Every mineral or compound I've found that has a similar bulk density bears no resemblance.

click for macro pict

Bristol2ndApr2012--032.jpg

Hi Mike-

The first thing that came to my mind was obsidian. The second is a tektite. Density would probably be similar in either case. If it's not either of those, I don't have a clue. You don't say if a streak test was done. Interesting find and hope someone can indentify it.

Steve

Hey, Steve. Obsidian has been suggested, but all the obsidian I've seen has been smooth and glassy, not crusty like this one. If you could link me some picts of frothy obsidian I'd love to compare. But yea, there are a few glasses that have similar BDs, and once I can get it cut I think it'll be obvious if it is some sort of glass. I did not streak test it because I did not window it, and like I wrote if it did turn out to be something I don't want to mark up the outside. :)

Mike-

I found this although I'm not 100% sure it solves the indentity.

http://www.tektites.co.uk/tektite-tests.html

I do know quite a bit of obsidian is smooth because they put it in tumblers to shine and sell in tourist traps,etc. Can't seem to find any unpolished nodules on google images although I have seen plenty in my lifetime.

Steve

I have one like that I found someplace in the Vulture Mountains ... I just thought it was obsidian and stuck it on my "interesting finds" shelf ... Guess I'll have to revisit it ... I don't remember exactly where I found it and I didn't/don't know anything about tektites ... I'll try to get a photo up ... Cheers, Unc

I have a pile of obsidian nodules in my yard and non look like that. Tektite came to my mind also

I believe the surface textures could be due to the environment. I recall seeing some obsidian from Tonopah that had a rough texured surface.

Steve

Fred,

Here are a few more picts of the "thumb" end, the other end, and the bottom (the side that was on the ground when I found it).

"Thumb side"

Bristol2ndApr2012--038.JPGBristol2ndApr2012--037.JPGBristol2ndApr2012--033.JPG

These didn't turn out quite as sharp as I hoped, darn camera keeps focusing on my fingertips.

Other side

Bristol2ndApr2012--035.JPGBristol2ndApr2012--036.JPG

Bottom

Bristol2ndApr2012--034.JPG

Steve and 'homefire',

I would appreciate any pictures you have of similar objects. Odds are it is some sort of obsidian, but I haven't seen any samples or pictures that looks like it.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike- I found these obsidian nodules pictures online. Look similar to what you have in the sense they have textured surfaces and not the smooth ones like we typically see on obsidian.

Jason- It could very well be but the only way to find out would be chip it or break it open.

Steve

post-501-0-35415300-1336302724_thumb.jpg

Hey, Steve. Obsidian has been suggested, but all the obsidian I've seen has been smooth and glassy, not crusty like this one. If you could link me some picts of frothy obsidian I'd love to compare. But yea, there are a few glasses that have similar BDs, and once I can get it cut I think it'll be obvious if it is some sort of glass. I did not streak test it because I did not window it, and like I wrote if it did turn out to be something I don't want to mark up the outside. :)

I have a whole jar full of crusty Apache tears (obsidian) that look very similar, I'll see if I can find them and get a photo for you.

Hi Mike, your find reminds me of some of the crusty basalts that I find here in Illinois. There density usually ranges from 2.4 to 3.0. Most of them attract a magnet and set off my GMT MD, but not all of them. Here's a photo of one that I found.

post-21157-0-78148000-1336506749_thumb.j

post-21157-0-36711000-1336506787_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...