Nugget Shooter Forums

Commander Coil Noise

Is it normal to hear a high-pitched whining noise coming from the coils on a GPX5000? I sat my detector down to dig a target today and once i got down on one knee I heard a loud whining sound. i picked the coil end up off the ground and put my ear to it and sure enough, the sound was coming from the coil? I was using the stock 11" Commander Mono.

Chris that's a new one on me.....is that the only time you hear the noise is when you put your ear to the bottom of the coil?

The first thing I would do is take the coil cover off and give it a good cleaning and also the bottom of the coil then try it again....

Garimpo....it is loud enough that I can hear it when I sit the detector on the ground next to me to run my scoop over it. I am absolutely sure that it is not dirt in the cover because I wrapped coil tape around it before I ever used it for the first time. Thanks for the reply.

When I encounter noise problems, the first thing I do is check for dirt or dust between coil cover and coil ... The second thing I do is undo all my connections, battery to detector and detector to coil ... Check the threads for dirt, make sure they are clean, then reconnect everything making sure everything is snug and no wobble in the fittings ... Also inspect the five-pin receptacle ... In most instances this has solved noise problems ... Hope this helps ... Cheers, Unc

Never used a MineLab. I think your just hearing the Coil Osculating being pulsed.

Your pumping a amp or so in there and it's a Inductor producing magnetic waves. I think your just hearing the coil resonated due to the Pulsing.

Never used a MineLab. I think your just hearing the Coil Osculating being pulsed.

Your pumping a amp or so in there and it's a Inductor producing magnetic waves. I think your just hearing the coil resonated due to the Pulsing.

Homefire...I think you hit the nail on the head. I just got back from trying all 7 of my coils and everyone of them makes the same sound. So I decided to isolate any outside noise so I unplugged my external speaker nd turned my Goldscreamer all the way down, and it still did it. It just blew me away because I normally cannot hear things like that at all with my high frequency earing loss. Today was a completely calm, cool day with absolutely nothing around me for miles so it was DEAD QUIET out where I was. Thanks for the replies. I feel alot better now.

Chris; I don't recall your problem ever coming up on any of the forums...

As far as i know, your coil should not make any audible transmissions...however, you can get backfeed from external speakers if they are too close to the coil...

try mounting the coil just behind your head and see if that was the problem. If the problem continues you should contact Minelab for advice...

Also, be aware that minelab will not warrenty their detector if a non-minlab coil causes the problem...

fred

Okay, so just to make sure that I was not crazy I had my lady listen to the coils with no headphones or external speaker attached, and she could hear the same thing. I guess I should call Minelab on Monday and see what they suggest. I really hope I don't have to send the machine in already since I just planned a trip to GB from April 10th through the 12th. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Bill, it has done on it on the following coils:

1. NuggetFinder 17" Elliptical Advantage SL

2. 11" Mono Commander

3. 11" DD Commander

4. Coiltek Wallaby 17"x11" Mono

5. Coiltek Platypus DD

6. 15"x12" Commander Mono

7. 18" Minelab Super Goldsearch

Lve2fsh.......I plan to go in April. I finally got my time machine finished (had to have my Cuisinart repaired) so now I'm gonna put it to use. :ROFL:

Happy Hunting!!!

Chris do a test to see if it will still detect a nugget at different settings....and listen for any change in sound

on different settings....if it's still under warranty send it in....out of warranty can get expensive....if it detects

the test nuggets good and out of warranty just don't worry and go beeping...

You're right homefire. Went beeping with a good friend today and his 5000 does the same thing. He was using a brand new 8x6 Nugget Finder for the first time today and he could hear it through his coil, too!

• 4 weeks later...

Some of my smaller coils do this on my 4500.

They resonate a very high pitched tone especially that NF8x6

I'm pretty sure all coils do this at some frequency. I've heard automotive coils resonate, power transformers, etc..

Most of the older guys probably cant hear this from

having there ears blown out digging too many large nuggets over the years :-)