Nugget Shooter Forums

Quartz/gold rock

Boorx4

Greetings fellow nugget hunters,

Just thought I would share this find with you all. I found this piece of quartz rock this past Feb. in the Greaterville placer area. It was a good 9 inches deep and I found it with my trusty GM3. I was really hoping that this find would satisfy one of my "bucket list" wishes (a chunk of quartz loaded with 1 oz. or more of gold).

It look promising at first. After cleaning, I decided to break it open. Then the promise disappeared. No gold on the interior except for some small to fine pieces.

After many weeks, I decided to bust it all up, grind in mortar and pestle and pan the gold out.

I did get 3.1 grams of gold but not what I was hoping for. Maybe next time.

Happy nugget shooting.

Bob

post-951-0-13897800-1335138099_thumb.jpgpost-951-0-50627800-1335138167_thumb.jpgpost-951-0-55029400-1335138267_thumb.jpg

Nice find and nice gold ... I would not have busted it up, personally, because it definitely was a unique specimen ... Just my opinion ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

testing with an ohm meter would identify continuity on the gold for specimen consideration. I agree as well, would have been worth much more if placed in acid to remove most of the quartz.

Nice find!

1%20side%20a1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for your responses and views,

My prospecting partner and I covered this area many times over. Me with my GM3 and he with his Minelab. Nada!

GeoJack, thanks for the beautiful specimen (before and after). If I had some acid, maybe I would give my actions more thought. Live and learn. I did keep one small specimen which has a fair amount of small gold in it.

thanks again,

Bob

Yes, hydrofluoric and I had some else do the job for me as it is nasty stuff and the wife won't let me have it around. Another less lethal material for cleaning up specimens is Glass Etch Bath.15-0275.jpg

It cleans it up and removes mica really well but does not corrode the quartz quite like the hydrofluoric acid does.

Check around your area Boorx4, jeweler or a lab may use the stuff and do the work for you.