Nugget Shooter Forums

Reloading, what is best?

Hi All,

Just curious about reloading cartridges for pistol and rifle and whnt to hear some discussion about which are best in your opinion and why. Got a guy offering to trade one to me and looking for some info (without giving brand I am offered) from folks already doing their own...

Thanks in advance!

I use a LEE 4 station press, works great but I just use it as a single stage at a time machine. i reload 45acp,223,10mm. Its a little cheaper to reload your own depending how much you shoot. On the 223 i use a seperate powder measuring device 30 dollars and it works great. Never have a missfire or dud yet on reloaded ammo but i also dont shoot 5000 rounds a year either!

IMO LEE is a good product but its debatable I guess. Using different powders is highly debatable. I use Alliant Power Pistol,Alliant reloader10x,Herco, and Hodgdon h335 for 223

Bill,

I use to reload years ago and had a 4 station made by LEE. I could do 100 rds pretty quick with it. Maybe 100 rounds in less then a couple hours. My favorite powder was made by Unique providing the book said I could use it for the cartridges I was reloading at the time. 357 mag most of the time. Unique is a super hot powder and usually doesn't take as much to load to spec. The best bullets now days are the hollow point with the plastic inserts in the hole. Studies have come out saying if you shoot someone wearing heavy clothing the normal hollow points fill up with cloth and defeat the hollow points effectiveness. But if you want full metal jacket most any of them will do. Hope this helps. But I been out of the reloading scene a long time because I buy from a fellow at the gun show. He sells great stuff. He can do like 6k rds in a day with his set up.

You can usually use the brass 2 maybe 3 times but after that you may have to resize the brass. Mainly deals with the lenth of the brass so you have to trim em down to spec. I never ventured into that so I would just toss em in the trash or resale them.

Good luck in whatever you choose to use.

Rim

Aloha Bill,

I have used a Dillion Precision "Square Deal" for my pistol loads and a RL550 for my rifle loads for about 11 years and have had no problemds at all with these machines or the suppliers. They are out of scottsdale,az and if you ever get a chance to stop by their warehouse/store it is worth the trip. Really great people and great equipment. There customer service is excellent to boot.

Ther square deal b is the one machine I call "idiot proof" because of its functions. Check out their website and you will see what I mean about their equipment. Good luck on your choice and remember to stay safe.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

I have used both the lee and Dillion and I like the dillion the best, very consistant and easy to run.

Just what I liked

When I did reload ... plan to start again soon ... I started out with an RCBS Rockchucker ... great single stage starter machine but it was too slow for the number of rounds I wanted to reload at a given sitting. I shoot as many as 500-1000 rounds a week in spurts of 3-4 weeks and then nothing for a few weeks. Anyway the Rockchucker was replaced by the Dillon 550 ... you can't go wrong with it if you are into high production like I was. If you want absolute precision in larger or longer modern cartridges then the single stage Rockchucker Supreme is the way to go ... for example if all you want is 200 rounds of 300Weatherby then the Rockchucker supreme is the press for you. However if you want 5000+ rounds of 9mm and 1000 rds of 30-06 and 20,000 rds of 5.56(.223) all in the same year then the machine for you is the Dillon 550. In short I will be buying a 550 soon ... tired of buying the long price and storing all this brass ... and not being able to take advantage of it.

Bang ... Bang ... Bang

Mike F

Reloading is not as good as it use to be.

You really don't save even half it was.

The Bastards have raised the Price of Primers, Powder to the point it's good to just make it.

If you have a range that let's the Brass stand for a day or so you can clean up.

The prices of components and Powder have gone up so much there is little difference any more.

Better spend your money on Surplus ammo while we can still find it.

I've shot ammo that was 60 years old that worked fine as long as it was in the can.

About three years ago being tired of my single stage RCBS for reloading tons of .45's I bought a Hornady progressive press. It has been flawless and can easily reload 400 rds an hour. It appears to be very well made and should last me a lifetime. I also like the way it handles caliber changes. Once you have your dies locked in and set... you never have to re-set them up again. I do not have the bullet and brass auto load options, but would sure like to add them so I can triple or more my amount per hour. I'm like Mike, will shoot 500 rds in a session. Wish I could do that every day

I reload mostly .45 but do .38/.357 mags, 45 Colt, and .300 WSM. As Homefire pointed out .223's are still cheap enough just to buy.

• 3 weeks later...

Before nuggetshooting I used to shoot thousands of rounds a month practicing for practical pistol, rifle and shotgun matches. It would be hard to go wrong with any model of Dillon press. Like Eldo said, once it's set up you never have to mess with the dies. I wouldn't want to fool with a single stage press because it's too slow... throwing powder one charge at a time also leaves more room for error.

Now I pay the penalty for all that lead I buried across the desert...

Yo Billy... I've got a box full of reloading equipment, complete set up, and was toying with the idea of selling it all in a package deal, but then it dawned on me that it's really not all that valuable today, probably less than $500, but could be priceless in the future if a guy was smart enough to stock up on the bullet components ... Hell, a couple of dinks will cover that ... :D ... Cheers, Unc

Why Southern California is Different From The Rest of America

You may have heard on the news about a southern California man put under 72-hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly had (by rough estimate) 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his home. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.

My favorite quote from the dimwit television reporter: “Wow! He has about a quarter million machine gun bullets.” The headline referred to it as a “massive weapons cache”.

By southern California standards someone owning 100,000 rounds would be called “mentally unstable”. Just imagine if he lived elsewhere:

In Arizona , he’d be called “an avid gun collector”.

In Texas , he’d be called “a novice gun collector”.

In Utah , he’d be called “moderately well prepared”, but they’d probably reserve judgment until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Montana , he’d be called “The neighborhood ‘Go-To’ guy”.

In Idaho , he’d be called “a likely gubernatorial candidate”.

In Wyoming , he’d be called “an eligible bachelor”.

In Wisconsin , he’d be called “a deer hunting buddy”.

And, in Alabama , we just call him “Bubba”.

Better spend your money on Surplus ammo while we can still find it.

I've shot ammo that was 60 years old that worked fine as long as it was in the can.

Can't help with reloading, I just stick to the cheaper ammo rounds, a lot of it ends up being military surplus ammo when it comes to rifles. Why buy 30-6 ammo for almost a buck a round at some places while you can get Russian 7.62x54R for 16 cents a round. I try to stock up on 5.45x39 as well. It's similar in size to the .223 round. but only costs 12 cents a round for the military surplus (which also happens to be steel core ammo for the 5.45). 5.45 is not currently manufactured domestically though so stocking up is a good idea. Of course, you need an AK-74 to use the 5.45 ammo, heh, but I guess I'm preparing for the end of the world or something, at my age and the way the world is going I may live to see it, argh. 9mm and .22lr are still cheap enough as it is, if I ever get into a .357 lever action rifle or revolver then I guess reloading might be an advantage.

Here is a good site for finding the current up-to-date rock bottom ammo prices on the Internet:

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

Yo Billy... I've got a box full of reloading equipment, complete set up, and was toying with the idea of selling it all in a package deal, but then it dawned on me that it's really not all that valuable today, probably less than $500, but could be priceless in the future if a guy was smart enough to stock up on the bullet components ... Hell, a couple of dinks will cover that ... :D ... Cheers, Unc

Just saw this Ron and will give you a call today....

Can't help with reloading, I just stick to the cheaper ammo rounds, a lot of it ends up being military surplus ammo when it comes to rifles. Why buy 30-6 ammo for almost a buck a round at some places while you can get Russian 7.62x54R for 16 cents a round. I try to stock up on 5.45x39 as well. It's similar in size to the .223 round. but only costs 12 cents a round for the military surplus (which also happens to be steel core ammo for the 5.45). 5.45 is not currently manufactured domestically though so stocking up is a good idea. Of course, you need an AK-74 to use the 5.45 ammo, heh, but I guess I'm preparing for the end of the world or something, at my age and the way the world is going I may live to see it, argh. 9mm and .22lr are still cheap enough as it is, if I ever get into a .357 lever action rifle or revolver then I guess reloading might be an advantage.

Here is a good site for finding the current up-to-date rock bottom ammo prices on the Internet:

http://gun-deals.com/ammo

Thanks Rex

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 hornaday and 3 lee. I like the hornaday the best. Don't forget the main advantage to reloading. Every gun has a load it likes best. You can go from a 5" spread to a bullet within a bullet with that favorite load.