Nugget Shooter Forums

Large Boom, and witness meteorite near Reno, NV.

UPDATE: A number of people in the Sierra around El Dorado County have reported they saw what they believed to be a meteor just before the sound.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/local/story/BREAKING-Boom-heard-around-Northern-Nevada-Sierra/klZR_ppB0E-vnU9igyZ1Pw.cspx

I was in North Lake Tahoe this morning enjoying the peaceful view of the lake and heard what sounded like an explosion right around 8AM. We figured it was probably ski resorts blasting for avalanches, but there is hardly any snow left after this heat. We didn't look up and see anything, but we were directly under the sound. It was really loud, like dynamite.

We live just next to Coloma, Ca. This thing went right over us and we listened to it for about 1 minute. We have both been to Florida for the Space Shuttle launch and the sound this thing made was just like a Shuttle lift-off. Very loud jet noise with the fluttering of a rocket exhaust. Didn't get eyes on it but was going southwest to northeast.

Fox News reported a strange flight pattern that had the thing go from San Francisco to south of Reno, then turning south and looping back southwest over Bakersfield ... Their report made no sense at all!!! ... I've never heard of a meteorite making a U-turn! Cheers, Unc

It aliens I tell ya. We are doomed now that they are here! Got a message from Montana this morning and it rattled his windows.

Looks like it came apart right over my head.

RENO, Nev. -- A meteor expert at UCLA says tiny meteorites found in Northern California likely were part of the giant fireball that exploded in daylight over the weekend.

Viewers Send Emails Of 'Flash In Sky'

Two Explanations For Loud Boom, Bright Light In Sky John T. Wasson, a longtime professor at UCLA's Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics, tells The Associated Press at least two tiny meteorites weighing about 10 grams each were found Wednesday near the towns of Coloma and Lotus, northeast of Sacramento.The flaming meteor entered the Earth's atmosphere with a loud boom about 8 a.m. Sunday. It was seen from Sacramento to Las Vegas and parts of northern Nevada.NASA scientists say it probably was about the size of a minivan and exploded with the force equal to one-third of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima at the end of World War II.

Bits of the meteor could be strewn over an area as long as 10 miles, most likely stretching west from Coloma, where James W. Marshall first discovered gold in California, at Sutter's Mill in 1848.

Wasson suspected hundreds of dealers and collectors already have joined the search. He said it was important to recover the meteorites soon because any rain will cause them to degrade, losing their sodium and potassium.

Today was the day, convinced the wife to let the house cleaning wait for a day or so and she scored! 8.5 grams. 2nd largest found so far. Two were found yesterday when I was out, 2 gram and a whooper 17.2 gram by a lady walking her dog.

Eyes only guys.

Headed back out.

NASA is in town and expected to do grid searches starting tomorrow.

Pics to follow.

The place will be hopping this weekend and longer. It's going to be a zoo for awhile.

Also found a 1933 Westclox Pocket Ben just up on a pile of dirt, eyes only. Wife still beat me with her fine.

Wow!

The place will be hopping this weekend and longer. It's going to be a zoo for awhile.

Also found a 1933 Westclox Pocket Ben just up on a pile of dirt, eyes only. Wife still beat me with her fine.

Wow!

Congratulations on the 8.5 grammer!!

What kind of shape was the watch in?

If you think it can be repaired here an exploded view of a Pocket Ben.

http://www.vintagewestclox.com/misc/pocket_ben_schematic.html

Skip

It was good to meet you out there GeoJack. Congrats to your wife for finding the 8.5 grammer. I heard that she sold it. Wes and I were out there yesterday with Paseclipse and and a couple of his buddies from SoCal. We struck out, but we were trying to cover some new ground. It sure is difficult hunting up there.