Nugget Shooter Forums

Need Advice on Coils

I just bought a great detector from one of the guys on this forum. It is a sd2200v2 with Woody's mods. I will be using it in the Alabama goldfields near some old placer diggings. I figure that if there are any nuggets then they will be on the smallish side and possibly in creek beds or deep in the ground. I have 4 coils to choose from, and want to be methodical about my detecting over the same ground. I have an 8" mono, an 11" DD, a 17" ufo elliptical and an 18" round super goldsearch.

My thinking is to go in with the DD first (ground is really minerallized...last time I detected with my LST, I had to run it on the "Black Sand" setting just to get it semi-quiet) to clear all of the trash targets and mid to shallow targets. Next, use the ufo 17" mono over the same area to listen for deeper targets... Does anybody have better advice for me than what I am thinking? I would appreciate your thoughts, experiences, etc...

Chris

I just bought a great detector from one of the guys on this forum. It is a sd2200v2 with Woody's mods. I will be using it in the Alabama goldfields near some old placer diggings. I figure that if there are any nuggets then they will be on the smallish side and possibly in creek beds or deep in the ground. I have 4 coils to choose from, and want to be methodical about my detecting over the same ground. I have an 8" mono, an 11" DD, a 17" ufo elliptical and an 18" round super goldsearch.

My thinking is to go in with the DD first (ground is really minerallized...last time I detected with my LST, I had to run it on the "Black Sand" setting just to get it semi-quiet) to clear all of the trash targets and mid to shallow targets. Next, use the ufo 17" mono over the same area to listen for deeper targets... Does anybody have better advice for me than what I am thinking? I would appreciate your thoughts, experiences, etc...

Chris

Sounds like you got the right plan of action. You'll be digging really deep lead---don't let it drive you nuts. If you still have the LST use it to sweep the area for shallow trash first.

The 18" super goldsearch GREEN coil...is it a mono or a DD? One of the brackets has a small hairline crack in it...what is the best method that I can use to repair the crack?

Thanks

Chris

I just looked at Phishon's ad and he said it was a mono coil....the best epoxy to use on the cracked bracket

is PC-7....Ace Hardware.....and most of the big hardware stores have it....mix equal parts of the epoxy and

apply...sit over night and your good to go....after you put it on smooth it out if desired with a wet finger...I

use my gold scales and a big piece of plastic to get the parts equal....

Thanks Garimpo, I was wondering if I might need to get a piece of fiberglass and lay it up on the outside of the crack to give it a little extra support. Well It looks like rain Tomorrow in N. Alabama, so I won't be making the 3 hour drive. Maybe next weekend.

If yer runnin the 2200 get ahold of a 11 inch mono we use a coiltek 11 mono GREAT coil for that machine for both shallow and deep gold of various sizes.

Runs pretty quiet because of its size. My other half has been doin very well with my 11 mono I let her use on the 2200

Thanks Garimpo, I was wondering if I might need to get a piece of fiberglass and lay it up on the outside of the crack to give it a little extra support. Well It looks like rain Tomorrow in N. Alabama, so I won't be making the 3 hour drive. Maybe next weekend.

Yea fiberglass would probably be the ticket with the PC7.....

Boo ... I respect the methods of the other guys but I would start out with the 8" mono in the creek bed and bank areas directly above ... it will allow you to "methodically" clean the surface of all trash and gold and will probably get you 6-8 inches into the creekbed. The problem I see with the 11" or larger is that if the surface 6" or so is very trashy the thrash not the mineralization will be the problem for the 2200 as you will be hitting on multiple targets confusing you with the signals the 2200 will send to the head phones ... or external speakers(my preference). You will not miss ANY targets in that first 6" with the 8" mono (assuming it is the 8" Commander mono or 8" Super Gold Search mono that Mineleab supplied) if you go very slowly and listen carefully to the threshhold ... those tiny breaks in a smooth threshhold may be targets and are worth further investigation especially if they are repeatable. DIG ALL REPEATABLE targets! Be sure to Ground Balance frequently in that mineralized soil.

Good luck ... Mike F

Thanks Mike, I see your point. I like that idea. When I scouted the area with my LST, i got several square nail signals in the 2to8" range, when I head up I will take a camere and shoot a few pics of the layout and quartz that litters the area. I appreciate all of Y'all. Mike I live next to a farmfield and have "practicing" in the field with the 2200 and the 11" DD coil. Digging alot of square nails and some tiny pieces of iron trash. It seems though that I can differentiate between close targets pretty handily with the 2200. I am surrounded by powerlines and the sd is pretty smooth, so I am excited about getting off in the boonies with it where there is virtually no electronic interference.

Chris

Hey Boo ... Time to get off the practice field ... it's game time ... go find some gold! :)

Mike F

Roger that Mike, just gotta square it with the MIssus so that I can wander off this weekend :tisk-tisk:

Chris

Archived