Nugget Shooter Forums

New species of buzztail? Or just new name?

Spent some time with a Riverside County Vector Control agent, he told me that there is a "new" species of rattlesnake in the Desert Southwest called the "lira." Anyone heard of it? Is this just a local name for a recognized species, or something new? Or just an urban leged? HH Jimmy

That is not a species I have ever heard of in the USA, not sure what he was referring to????

Here is a list of species in the USA and South...

[edit] Sistrurus

Aloha guys,

Man, that loooong list has gotten me all creeped out. Been really lucky over that last few years and have actually only seen three snakes my entire time out in the field. But then again I now have to wonder how many I have NOT seen. Looks like we all need to pay a little more attention to our surroundings from now on.

Good luck and stay safe my friends.

Stan aka Kaimi

• Like 1

Hi Jim , Bill and All

Jim he's probably a hick that don't know squat about snakes, but could be refering to Lyre Snakes which are rear fanged and mildly poisonous. They are sweetheart snakes and never seen one attempt to bite when picked up and handled. Lyre is pronounced Liar and are found through most of Az and southern cal. They do have a look of a blacktail RS at a glance from the vent up kinda, almost, maybe if your whizzing along at 96 miles per hour and the sun is in your good eye :rolleyes: . Here's a link

http://digital-desert.com/wildlife/snakes/western-lyre-snake.html Happy Huntin John B.

Bill, super posting, as usual. Here in the greater Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree area, we have six species: Crotalus Cerastes, Atrox, Viridis, Mitchellii, Ruber, and, of course, the real nasty, Scutulatus. Recently saw my first Mitchellii in RSC, nearly black, with the faintest of yellow dot patterns. Not aggressive. In the Dale District Rubers are common, also not really aggressive. The little guys with the big egos are the C. Cerastes Cerastes, Mojave Sidewinders. Flak may be the only one on this Forum who has seen my two sets of buzztail bite scars. Both were "blanks," no venom. (Whew!!!)

John B, I'd vote that your are correct.

Dave, will PM you my cell phone number. Just found your PM re: MMME, sorry for the delay in responding, Will explain later

HH to all. Jim

Thanks gang, we now have high speed internet here in the boonies, will be posting here more often. Good to be back, It has been a decent winter AU season.

Yo Jim ... Good to see you back online after all these years ... I've well worn out the GMT I got from you a dozen years ago, but it sure paid for itself many times over and proved out to be a good coin machine too ... I'm looking forward to your posts ... Cheers, Unc