Nugget Shooter Forums

comparing detectors

scubadaddy

Garimpo, you could have said it with more finesse, something like......

In this world "You get what you pay for". Don did I say that right ???????

In laymans terms theres no comparasion. Its not like comparing a motorcycle with an auto yes they will both get you there but with detectors it doesn't work like that.

After thinking about this I needed to add to it,

Your asking the difference between a VLF and a PI detector.

They are 2 different animals.

The Pulse Induction machines will out perform the Very Low Frequency machines in mineralized ground (which most gold is surrounded by)

and also in actual depth that a target can be detected basically that is the difference.

After 6 months of detecting your pile of gold with a VLF would never come near the amount you would detect with a quality P.I.

That is a generalization that will be true in most all circumstances.

Can anyone tell me the actual advantage of gpx-5000 over gold bug II?

Wait till it gets really dark tonight, and drive to an open field. Now turn off your lights and sit there for a moment to let your eyes adjust. Now, flip on your low beams. How much can you see way out in front of you? Good. Now, flip on your high beams. See the difference? :thumbsupanim

Garimpo, you could have said it with more finesse, something like......

In this world "You get what you pay for". Don did I say that right ???????

In laymans terms theres no comparasion. Its not like comparing a motorcycle with an auto yes they will both get you there but with detectors it doesn't work like that.

After thinking about this I needed to add to it,

Your asking the difference between a VLF and a PI detector.

They are 2 different animals.

The Pulse Induction machines will out perform the Very Low Frequency machines in mineralized ground (which most gold is surrounded by)

and also in actual depth that a target can be detected basically that is the difference.

After 6 months of detecting your pile of gold with a VLF would never come near the amount you would detect with a quality P.I.

That is a generalization that will be true in most all circumstances.

Sounds good you old smoothie talker....and your right as rain....

Yep...the 5000 finds all the gold and the gold bug ll some of it...

The other day when a group of us hunted Griffith wash, I brought with me a gold sample that a 3500 had trouble hearing.

Frank wanted to see it.

Well, it barely broke the threshold on Frank's ML but it drove the GBII and the GMT nuts.

I am crawling under the desk now! :rolleyes:

Jim

The other day when a group of us hunted Griffith wash, I brought with me a gold sample that a 3500 had trouble hearing.

Frank wanted to see it.

Well, it barely broke the threshold on Frank's ML but it drove the GBII and the GMT nuts.

I am crawling under the desk now! :rolleyes:

Jim

There are indeed a small percentage of nuggets that are porous or in some way not conductive enough for a PI to hear well, but this is a small percentage. There are also some specimens with very small visible gold in them that a VLF will scream on, but a PI will ignore.

That said... The GPX 5000nhas been dialed in to hear most of these now, but still will ignore certain ones.

In most cases a PI will far out perform a VLF in light, moderate, to hot soils period on 99 percent of the nuggets we find. It has to do with the differences between a PI and VLF and how they "see" a target and there is a ton of info here about this... Do a search for "Invisible nuggets" here at the forums as it has been discussed many times.

Here is one discussion from 2006, http://www.nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=8696&hl=%2Binvisible+%2Bnuggets

I hunt with a PI almost all the time and only use a VLF on mine dumps....

Jim a lot depends on the coils you were using....put a Coiltek Joey mono on the 3500....sensitive...deep...slow

and it will out perform the GBll and the GMT.....that's the great thing about the GP's and the GPX Minelab

machines are the settings for different applications....

Recently I went to a patch that was found with a GPX 5000 and the big El . mono coil that comes with it and

then the guys chopped the patch with garden hoes and used the latest GBll to clean it out....all four of the guys

were standing there with little smirks saying I was wasting my time....but I knew the area and put on my 3500

a Coiltek Joey DD because of the mineralization I knew was there .....the patch was about 10'x20' and it took

me over an hour to dig out 3 little nuggets the other machines didn't hear....the smirks turned to cussin..

The man behind the machine matters much more than the machine being swung by the man. Perfect example-is Ray T.AU with his new Gold Bug Pro is kickn' butt where he pounded hard with minelabs and whites for years soooooo. I'll go for the good hard working man over the machine anyday. John

ok my 2 cent's being i have bolth and actually carry bolth when out hikeing now gpx5000 i use with the 14 x 24 coil tek and do most of my hunting with it i use the gb2 in tight areas and for pin pointing the gb2 is great for small stuff and i mean small hard to see in the scoop but will drive you crazy in hot ground the gpx 5000 runs so smooth over hot rocks i dont even know im in hot rocks most of the time and with a smaller coil will hear the very small stuf also but i would rather carry the gb2 on my back then change coils and it dosent weigh very much either.

when i am in a hole dry washing or on bedrock i usually have the gb2 and i dont worry about it getting beat up or dirty like i would the 5000.