Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mbrown

Starter Metal Detectors?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask if you know of any decent metal detectors for around $200? I'm down here in Tucson, so from what I understand(but may be wrong), depth isn't quite as important in desert areas.

I appreciate any suggestion!

Thank you,

Matt

If your lucky ( Johnny on the spot ) and keep your eyes an ears open you can find a Fisher gold bug, thats the original gold bug in that price range.

Also some of the older model Whites Goldmasters can be found in that range.

Any of them will cover gold or meteorite hunting for you to start with.

Those would be my preference of opinion in the range you suggested.

Google any of them for info.

Also go to the mfg's websites and you can read the manuals for all and compare them to better help you make a decision of which you might prefer.

Welcome to the forums an Hapy Huntn

Thanks Frank, couldn't find any reasonable.

What do you guys think about the Fisher F2 with possibly an 11" DD coil?

Ok, I think I might spend a little more money after doing some research. How do you guys feel about the T2? Also does anyone know if the T2 Limited Edition is worth it over the standard? Apparently it has new boost and cache modes.

Multi-purpose machines may not be your best choice for meteorites, especially chondrites...I suggest you do a lot more research before buying...Findmall forums, this site and others will give you true opinions; much truer than advertising hype...don't put a lot of faith in what you see on television either...

fred

FREDS right don't consider multipurpose detectors for gold and meteorite hunting they just WONT cut the mustard.

Their not designed and built to.

As a matter of fact if you have the oppertunity to get with someone who has any kind of machine your curious about just toss a meteorite or gold sample test piece down and swing over it,.....then try to adjust each machine because you can't hear it. 90 % of the multipurpose won't signal either because the circuitry isn't designed to and it just doesn't have the power and sensitivity.

When you stated you had 200 bucks to spend Don't expect to go out today and find what I suggested.

Unless you are lucky it takes a bit of time to find a good detector for a couple hundred bucks you have to give it some time and keep looking at ads and yard sales etc.

Now if you can afford to spend more and want a detector that can accomplish what you say look for the "best" choices a used gold bug 2 OR Whites GMT which I prefer for an entry level and main use VLF detector or ML xterra70 Ureka or 705

But your probably looking at spending anywhere from 3-6 hundred depending on whats out there for sale and if you have patience to wait for the right deal.

The 2 "P's" in detecting........PATIENCE AND PERSERVERANCE. Thats the best advice you'll ever get. It applies to entering the hobby and enjoying success at it.

Thanks Fred and Frank.

I know I'm being a total NOOB here but I hope you understand when I ask this question. Why does it appear, at least on TV, that the T2 and F75 locate meteorites? What are the pros and cons over the all purpose vs gold detectors?

Also, I'm considering spending a bit more. Out of the 4 you listed, what would be your top 2 and have you had decent success with meteorites with them?

Thank you very much!

Matt

Listen I personally know of people that have bought F75's for meteorite hunting and upon actually using them in the field SOLD THEM.

I believe Desertsunburn on the forums was one you may want to picK his brain about it.

Also its "MADE FOR TV".

Top 2 VLF's not too expensive detectors for meteorites no worries mate,

Whites GMT My personal favorite, have found pounds of meteorites and alot of gold with one. Easy to use has both manual adjust and autotracking modes

Fisher Gold Bug 2 Gold Bug Original will also work

UGH, Gotta go fix a sewer pipe now.........BYE

Hey Frank. Bad sewer pipe?....... Have you been eating Ed's chili again?............ :ROFL:

Let's get together before it gets too hot for me.

Patrick.....

I'm ready Pat. Just have too many fix its and to dos goin on. Or else I'd be OTTAHERE SWINGIN

For a pretty good multi-purpose the xterra 70 or its off-spring; the xterra 705...the newest rendition is better...but it is still a multi-purpose...

The gmts or gold bugs are all good but may try your p and p...but the third p...preserverence will fix that...

I watch teh meteorite men, and other tresure hunting shows...i rarely see a detector being used in what I consider the proper manner...most of what I see is camera-fodder...just for show...no one will find much with the coil 10 inches above the ground and being whipped back and forth like a weedeater...

join a club and go ut with some folks...try it before you put a bunch of money into this hobby...it ain't for everyone...

fred

Why does it appear, at least on TV, that the T2 and F75 locate meteorites?

All of the episodes that the F75 finds meteorites I believe they are irons. Any episode they're looking for chondrites they do it by eye. Hunting a known iron strewn field with a F75 is going to give you much better results than trying to use it to cold-find on desert pavement. I looked for meteorites for several years before I got my first detector this month, a Gold Bug 2.

All of the episodes that the F75 finds meteorites I believe they are irons. Any episode they're looking for chondrites they do it by eye. Hunting a known iron strewn field with a F75 is going to give you much better results than trying to use it to cold-find on desert pavement. I looked for meteorites for several years before I got my first detector this month, a Gold Bug 2.

I haven't seen the TV shows.

But that makes sense Mike. If they are locating irons and they are pretty much on the surface a $89.00 bounty hunter or similar detector will probably give off a signal also.

Mcbrown,

As far as ordinary chondrites are concerned either surface or buried I have detected 100's with the GMT and some as deep as 12 to 13 inches. I can't say enough good about the GMT it works. It performs like it was designed and built for the purpose even if it wasn't. As little as I understand about the actual electronics inside I believe it is the sensitivity and the power that it generates that accomplish the task.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I'll probably go with the GMT then. This is probably a really stupid question but the GMT will be good at locating the irons and stony irons too, right?

You got it Bubba.

Now get yourself some first hand experience next. Hapy Huntn

Ok, I think I might spend a little more money after doing some research. How do you guys feel about the T2? Also does anyone know if the T2 Limited Edition is worth it over the standard? Apparently it has new boost and cache modes.

Matt,

You are doing the right thing by asking. A lot of people just go out and buy something and find out in the field, they just don't work. I can not count how many times I've seen this. If you listen to the guys here, they will not steer you wrong.

For your first price range, Franks suggestion was spot on...I doubt anyone here would disagree with that. If you are limited, take your time and shop. Maybe someone here will hear of one and point you to it.

I would not pay a plugged nickle for a T2 for meteorite hunting.

Here are the repeatable proven choices...

Fisher Gold Bug II ( I've seen these sell used for $450 - 650 and 600 seems very normal)

Whites GMT ( Used for about $450 - 600)

Minelab 2200 on up to 5000 (OUCH OUCH OUCH)

Hope this helps!

Jim

I haven't seen the TV shows.

But that makes sense Mike. If they are locating irons and they are pretty much on the surface a $89.00 bounty hunter or similar detector will probably give off a signal also.

Yep.

Geoff Notkin will be the first to tell you that the T2 will find Irons and Stony Irons.

So where in the Westen USA are you going to hunt for those?

The T2 will NOT find Irons or Stony Irons any better than the GMT or the Gold Bug II (the New and the Original work the same...no difference guys). However, the Gold Bug II and the GMT WILL find chondrites all day long in really bad areas when the F75 flavor machines will be trying to figure out what they are doing.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I really appreciate it.

Definently buying the GMT or Gold Bug 2.

I'm down here in Tucson, so I'm guessing irons and stony irons don't last too long around these parts!?

Might be too late, but I also recommend you go with a White's GMT or GMX or a Gold Bug II. The multi-purpose machines will usually find irons, but so will a magnet stick. The dedicated gold detectors work much better for chondrites and also find irons. Get a good one to start with.

Folks often suggest getting a cheaper machine to start out in case you decide you don't like "swinging". You won't have much $$ tied up in it, and can sell it easier. I tried to get started by going the "economical" route, getting a less-expensive machine to start with. That's a mistake. Now I have a detector that don't find meteorites, and I haven't got the $$ for a good machine because of what I spent on the economy model. I can't sell the MD I have, because folks want a good one. Had I gotten a good one to start with, I'd enjoy it much more, and use it much more.

I became interested in answering this question over 10 years ago. The museum I worked at for many years has an extensive meteorite collection and I was allowed unrestricted access to it. I conducted many air tests of common meteorite types using an assortment of detectors. Most any detector made can be put to use and it might surprise some people to read that detectors with the worst possible ground-cancelling ability are perhaps the best machines to use to "read" stony-iron meteorites in air tests.

Any machine can detect an iron with good depth, but many stony-irons exhibit a negative or "hot rock" response. Most detectors made today work very hard to eliminate these "nusiance" signals.

I highly recommend having an actual meteorite sample on hand to refer to of the type you hope to recover. You can "preset" your machine to see that type, and also place it in the gound you are hunting to see what effect local minaralization has upon response. My best suggestion is to hunt for stony-irons primarily by eye and use one of these ancient detectors mostly to perform air checks of suspect rocks. My theory is that while everybody's ground differs, we all share about the same "air," so air-tests of suspect rocks should yield similar results no matter where you're at. I was able to categorize detector responses into just a few fairly predictable types.

I admit the info is now somewhat dated, but there should be no problem with finding a low-cost detector to prove up the concept for yourself. At one time it was a fairly popular website, but AOL suddenly dropped webhosting and the old links to it were broken. I rehosted elsewhere, but interest seemed to wane at that point, so I never did much more with it. Anyway, it's all still up there for your examination. Both Jim Straight and Richard Norton found the site useful enough to request permission to use the info or publish a link in one or another of their books.

I later conducted additional tests with my T2, but never put the info on the site. I found it was as capable or better than my GB I at getting readings. The iron bargaraph is a definite plus.

http://www.whiteriverprep.com/meteor/madness.html

-Ed

I have used or own these models and can testify that they do find meteorites and gold.

• White's Goldmaster 2 (~$250)

• White's Goldmaster V-SAT (~$300)

• White's Goldmaster 3 (~$350)

• White's Goldmaster 4 (~$450)

• White's GMT (~$600)

• Original Fisher Gold Bug (~$350)

• Fisher Gold Bug 2 (~$760)

This is from a reply to a post from Dale Romero, a trusted, experienced meteorite collector. The prices are aprox used estimate. As with most things, expect to get what you pay for.

I posted elsewhere today...I have a Whites GM2 for sale, excellent condition. $200. Must pick up in Palm Springs area. Have found multiple meteorites with this at Franconia and Gold Basin.

karlfarris@me.com, or 7603602599

Karl Farris

Hi Ed,

I still have your site in my "Favorites". Great info and comparisons. Personally, I usually

work areas with too many buried targets, and too many hot rocks altogether, so I don't really

have the time to air test everything. I love the White's GMT and Fisher Gold Bug 2 on chondrites.

And even my ancient Minelabs SD 2100 (Army Green) with a sound boost, lithium-ion voltage

system, with an after-market coil, will find half-gram Franconia stones. (.5/gram!)

I have always done well with gold machines. I prefer the ones that can handle the mineralization.

MBrown,

Save your bucks, watch the ads, and buy a good used machine.

Ben

Well here is a new post started by Karl Farris. Gosh I have not communicated with Ed for years

and his Shooting Stars forum was lost in the sands of time.

Gosh in Ed's post he mention me (jim straight) and the famous late Richard Nortion! Back in

about 1955 the government was surface testing the atomic bomb... The troops were exposed

and later most of them passed away with various forms of cancer. Richard Norton was one of

them... He passed away several years ago...

Golly Ed,,, truly thank you for inviting me to be one of the Posters on Meteorite Madness. Gosh

this was many years ago... Happy Memories of Gentler Time and Great Memories... Jim