Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Estimate Calculator

Hi all!

I wrote a small Excel page that allows one to easily estimate the amount of gold in a rock.

The measurement techniques is very easy, nothing needed but a scale and a container of water (distilled preferred). This will be easier and different than what you may be use to.

Two simple readings needed.

A. The weight of the rock from the scale reading

B. The weight reading measured on the scale when immersed in water.

You just put the container of water on the scale and TARE your scale to zero prior to immersing the rock.

Perfect for field work and no special rigging or hanging required. And it gives a percentage of gold as well.

I also included the formula that a lot of you like to use near the bottom, so you actually get two ideas on the estimate of gold contained in the rock..

Now, on the web page I read about the formula you all might like to use, the guys says he finds it a little high in reading. After three tests, I find same....so you will see a very slight difference.

Both default to Quartz at 2.65g/cc and you can change that number around on the main part of the program to suit the rock you are in. Currently you can't do that on the bottom formula.

If you would please be so kind, check it out...run it though it's paces, beat it up and please let me know how it works out for you.

It's free, no strings and if you don't like it just throw it away.

http://k7wfr.us/Gold...eCalculator.xls

Thank you

Jim

ps...if it does not work for you, I will always let you buy me a beer!

Hi all!

I wrote a small Excel page that allows one to easily estimate the amount of gold in a rock.

The measurement techniques is very easy, nothing needed but a scale and a container of water (distilled preferred). This will be easier and different than what you may be use to.

Two simple readings needed.

A. The weight of the rock from the scale reading

B. The weight reading measured on the scale when immersed in water.

You just put the container of water on the scale and TARE your scale to zero prior to immersing the rock.

Perfect for field work and no special rigging or hanging required. And it gives a percentage of gold as well.

I also included the formula that a lot of you like to use near the bottom, so you actually get two ideas on the estimate of gold contained in the rock..

Now, on the web page I read about the formula you all might like to use, the guys says he finds it a little high in reading. After three tests, I find same....so you will see a very slight difference.

Both default to Quartz at 2.65g/cc and you can change that number around on the main part of the program to suit the rock you are in. Currently you can't do that on the bottom formula.

If you would please be so kind, check it out...run it though it's paces, beat it up and please let me know how it works out for you.

It's free, no strings and if you don't like it just throw it away.

http://k7wfr.us/Gold...eCalculator.xls

Thank you

Jim

ps...if it does not work for you, I will always let you buy me a beer!

Jim,

??????

Making sure I got this down right.

When talking about putting rock into water.

You say immerse rock into water but in formula you say hang.

I assume the rock is resting on the bottom of the container which holds the water. Is this correct?

The rock is completely submerged?

Rim

Jim,

??????

Making sure I got this down right.

When talking about putting rock into water.

You say immerse rock into water but in formula you say hang.

I assume the rock is resting on the bottom of the container which holds the water. Is this correct?

The rock is completely submerged?

Rim

Good catch...I am trying to word it so it is very easy to understand. Thank you. I'll fix.

The correct word should probably be "suspend"

The "hanging" part was meant to describe not needing to build or use additional hardware to hang from the scale

I fixed this if you want to download again. Thanks!

Jim

For accuracy sake you must use a graduated cylinder/beaker and measure water displacement as this method is only for a rough check. Simply cut a piece of string to tie to the species and zero out the scale to it's weight and get r' done-tons a au 2 u2 -John--posted here many times with even more info also-John

For accuracy sake you must use a graduated cylinder/beaker and measure water displacement as this method is only for a rough check. Simply cut a piece of string to tie to the species and zero out the scale to it's weight and get r' done-tons a au 2 u2 -John--posted here many times with even more info also-John

Hi John!

The water displacement method you describe has been known to be off by 20%. And, you have 3 different people look at the water line and say three different levels. Or, if you use a poor spout where you are catching the displaced water, you have to account for surface tension of the water + you have to catch every drop. It's harder to do it that way than most folks think and lots of room for a lot of error. I think Archimedes had it close enough.

For accuracy sake, the most critical number is the host rock density. One thing neat about this program is you can change the numbers around to see for yourself. Changing from a 2.65g/cc to 2.6g/cc for quartz has a greater effect than changing from 24ct gold at 19.3g/cc to something less pure.

And always, accuracy is in the eye of the beholder. Repeat ability is more important!

Cheers!

Jim

Desertsunburn,

Take a look and see if you see a mistake. Weird..

Rim

goldcontenttest.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhh I see. This is only a quartz/gold test. Sorry. Guess no gold tonight...: (

Edited by Rimshot

Desertsunburn,

Rim

goldcontenttest.jpg

Ohhhhhhhhhh I see. This is only a quartz/gold test. Sorry. Guess no gold tonight...: (

Desertsunburn,

Rim

goldcontenttest.jpg

East Texas....Hmmm too close to Oklahoma are ya? :hahaha: According to the guys at TAMU, there is no formula that will cure that! :hahaha: :hahaha:

But hey, now you know the density of your rock, for whatever that's worth. Works good for meteorites too!

Jim