Nugget Shooter Forums

What kind and pulling force Magnet do you use?

neodymium mags are very powerful. I would say nothing greater than an inch square would be MORE than enough.

MMS-A-X4

looks like a keeper

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=199

Try getting an N42 or N52 neo magnet with 50+ lbs of pull. Highly weathered L's and LL's stick pretty good to them. They also do a great job at sticking to partially buried meteorites because you can sometimes feel the magnet trying to stick.

I guess it all depends on whether you want to use it for simple confirmation after beeping digging and beeping

or use it to sweep like a beeper.

:thumbsupanim THat is a cheap source compared to prices I've paid locally. SOme in the surplus section are really cheap( and strong)!...

Try getting an N42 or N52 neo magnet with 50+ lbs of pull. Highly weathered L's and LL's stick pretty good to them. They also do a great job at sticking to partially buried meteorites because you can sometimes feel the magnet trying to stick.

What Del said but I'd just go straight to the N52 magnets. On my pick and my walking stick, I use a 1"x 1/2" round with a hole in it. I bolt it in place and do not trust glue. I have bigger magnets, but I ruin enough cameras and such without them!

Jim

What Del said but I'd just go straight to the N52 magnets. On my pick and my walking stick, I use a 1"x 1/2" round with a hole in it. I bolt it in place and do not trust glue. I have bigger magnets, but I ruin enough cameras and such without them!

Jim

Thanks Jim.

Quick question. Is it better to have an axially magnetized magnet or a diametrically magnetized magnet?

I'd go with an N52. I like the 1/2" diameterX1" magnets. They are easy to work with, and I just tape them to my hiking stick with Gorilla tape. I've never had one come off, or even get loose, and they are easier to remove from the stick when I want to, and the tape keeps them cleaner.

Thanks Ed.

I know irons will lock onto the magnet pretty well but what kind of pull does it feel like with something like an ordinary chrondrite? I have a few suspect ones I found out in the field but while the magnet will stick to them, it's not incredibly strong. Is it still a relatively strong snap with those?

Thanks

Chondrites response to a magnet will vary depending on the quantity of iron in the chondrite, i.e. H, L, or LL. Some barely stick, some jump almost like an iron.