Nugget Shooter Forums

Fairly New Hunter Here Would Like Some Opinions, Thanks!

Hi everyone,

New guy here, doing ok for the most part with my collection, but have a few unusual ones that I would appreciate an opinion on. I sawed off a piece of both of them and a few of the images I coated them with water to see the matrix better in the pics because I have yet to polish them.

They're both highly magnetic and the pics don't do them justice but in person you can see some metal flakes when you move it under a light. Both also appear to have at least remnants of a fusion crust. Tell me what you think! Thanks

Matt

post-26221-0-82026400-1334430788_thumb.j

post-26221-0-58205600-1334430795_thumb.j

post-26221-0-09714100-1334430824_thumb.j

post-26221-0-16477700-1334430851_thumb.j

post-26221-0-45020300-1334430873_thumb.j

post-26221-0-18660600-1334430911_thumb.j

post-26221-0-67176000-1334430925_thumb.j

post-26221-0-00367700-1334430935_thumb.j

post-26221-0-53391100-1334430939_thumb.j

Hi, Matt. You finds appear terrestrial to me. Their exteriors do not display any meteoritic properties, and the insides appear to be either a conglomerate or and igneous rock. Interesting stones, though!

Hi, Matt. You finds appear terrestrial to me. Their exteriors do not display any meteoritic properties, and the insides appear to be either a conglomerate or and igneous rock. Interesting stones, though!

Thanks Mike! Yeah, I figured as much but thought it might be worth a try. Is there any good ways to identify remnants or pieces of fusion crust on a rock? Because I have a few that look pretty dang close but only on sections of the specimens.

Thanks,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

mbrown, you might want to go on eBay and get a "throwdown" meteorite from one of the sellers there. A smalll one will only be $10-20 or so, and having it in hand will give you something to comapre your own rocks to.

I'm new to meteorite hunting too and I've been warned about buying meteorites on ebay. How do I know when I'm getting the real deal? I wanted to get a few samples of what I might come across while hunting, any suggestions on what I should get?

Joe

Post in the Classifies here on the forum and maybe a member here will sell you a specimen.

Skip

• 3 months later...

Hi ToadWhisperer,

I've bought meteorites at Meteorites-for-sale.com. They are honest, provide fast service and have a good selection in my price range. I've had nothing but good experiences with them. Give them a try.

If you can make it to the Nugget Shooter outing this fall you will have the opportunity to talk to some of the greatest gold/meteorite hunters on the planet... And I'm sure someone will bring a small part of their collection to share... These outings are a great time...And you never know... One of these guys might even show you the magic pointy finger thing...Priceless.... By the way I'm not one of the dudes with the magic pointy finger thingies (just a recipient of it and I'm not allowed to share)...I just bring the Jalapeno Poppers...But those alone are worth the price of admission....

Bills outings are always fun, with lots of gold and meteorites. All the guys are really friendly, and always willing to show you a thing or 2.

Dave.