Nugget Shooter Forums

Meteorite Question

While out with my metal detector today I came across a really strong signal. After digging about 5 inches down I heard the loud "click" of something slamming on to my magnet. Upon inspection I found this little dude:

2395845670104764247S500x500Q85.jpg2605729730104764247S500x500Q85.jpg

It is half the size of a dime and weighs in at 3.4 grams. How can I determine if this is a meteorite fragment or just a piece of ironstone? It sticks to the neodymium magnet I have VERY WELL! The only reason I was thinking it may be a meteorite is because it was the only piece like it in a roughly 100 sq. ft. area. I figured if it was ironstone there would be more pieces. I may be, and probably am, wrong, but I am dying to know. Thanks in advance.

That one's hard to say with the provided pics. Try taking a picture of it out in the sunlight using the macro on your camera.

If you were out metal detecting by Coolgardie (since I see your from Barstow) thats most likely some of the ironstone from that area... Best meteorwrong's I've ever seen!

That one's hard to say with the provided pics. Try taking a picture of it out in the sunlight using the macro on your camera.

If you were out metal detecting by Coolgardie (since I see your from Barstow) thats most likely some of the ironstone from that area... Best meteorwrong's I've ever seen!

Hi Del,

Well, I was actually out in the El Paso's on the side of a hill when I found this. I actually just sent my wife to Wally World to buya new camera so there should be some better pics tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

Here are a couple of hopefully better pictures of the piece. Is there a certain type of ceramic that I need to use to do the scratch test? Looking at it through a 10x loupe it has a lot of tiny little shiny metallic-looking crystals in it.

2959339950104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

2334233510104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

Chris with those better pics its looking like a possible.

Use the UNGLAZED part of either your toilet bowl tank cover or a coffee cup bottom

And remember you have to get thru the outer crusty coating to the inside to see what the streak color is.

So filing or grinding an area on it first will expose the actual interior to streak test.

Is that a "Pakistani" Bacgammon board in the background ???? JOKE

Frank....Hahaha, it sure does look like a Pakistani something, doesn't it. It is actually one of the most interesting books I have ever read called "How In The World". It was published by Readers Digest and is chock full of some pretty cool information.

I was kind of afraid to do any grinding or filing on the thing because I didn't want to ruin its natural state if it was a meteorite, but I guess the only way I am.going to know is to just do it.

Well, I filed a corner off of the specimen and this is what it came out like. When I did the streak test on the back of a ceramic tile, it left no streaks at all. And when I used this identification site (http://meteorite-identification.com/found/123455321.html) it matched with the last 3 descriptions.....so I am thinking that I found my very first meteorite. I could still be wrong, but either way I am excited nonetheless.

2538946300104764247S600x600Q85.jpg

Sorry Chris,

It is not a meteorite. It is just precisely the way a small piece of rusted metal iron that is man made would look. Near solid iron meteorites would not look like your specimen.

Keep looking down. They're out there.

billpeters

The bright colors in your new pictures drown out the features on your find so it's still hard to say. Try taking some pics in sunlight using the macro on your camera.

Take a closer look at the rusted areas and if metal is flaking off in layers then it most likely isn't one. You can also try doing a density test and if it works out to > 7 g/cm^3 then theres a chance.

One thing about the El Paso's is that there is a lot of old miner trash there. I can't begin to tell you how much trash I've cleaned up in those mountainst! LOL

There was a good size iron meteorite found in the El Paso's in the past-

http://www.lpi.usra.....php?code=22549