Nugget Shooter Forums

Question for you experts.

When a meteorite falls, is there a direct relationship between the number of sonic booms that go off and the number of large pieces found? I seen an article about the one that fell close to me in February and it got me to wondering. The guy in this report seems to think so.

http://www.ksla.com/story/16689317/want-to-earn-a-couple-grand-join-meteorite-hunters-in-the-search

Rim

I am not

an expert.

However, the basic answer is NO.

Also, the trick question is No because Meteorites are on the ground, they don't fall because they don't move.

Anything traveling in our atmosphere at super sonic speeds will create the effects of a sonic boom. Some way to small for anyone to hear. There is usually two shocks, a bow shock and then a tail shock. In the deserts around here, you often hear a boom-boom as the military jets are doing their thing.

The size and speed matter. For example a really big object, create what we hear as two sonic booms.

The reason why we hear two is because of the time difference our ears can detect. A bow and tail shock is what we hear.

Multiple objects falling are very interest for many reasons. If you take a constant sound from two objects and space them out perfectly so that their signals both arrive at a point 180 degrees out of phase, you might not hear anything. The two signals cancel each other.

So if multiple objects as falling at super sonic speeds and are large enough (and close enough) to make a sonic boom or booms we can hear, you may hear all kinds of strange noises, just because of phase relationships of when the booms occurred and at what phase when all those waves reach you. You'll have multiple signals, out of phase arriving at you.

One perfect example of this is being in a multi-engine aircraft. You can hear each engine. When the engines are syne'd you can hear that happen and hear the phase relationship the engines have to each other. Sirens in fire trucks do the same thing to your head, depending on where you are in the cab....it's kind of weird to experience that. You can see this on a spectrum analyzer easily on RF signals.

Again, I am not an expert, could be totally wrong! But I am not! :idunno:

BTW, that is only one part of the answer.

I keep adding to this....If instruments recorded the sounds (much better than our ears) you may be able to determine a few things. Hearing Boom, then boom boom boom, just don't mean much to me. That alone is good information, but much more is needed to say what might be on the ground.

Jim

Jim,

I understand a meteorite is not a meteorite until it hit's the ground. But not all just stop. Some could bounce 500 yards or more for all we know. Maybe further then that. lol!

But when I read into this guy's statement, I think he's referring to 4 or 5 sonic booms right before the last sighting of the meteor.

With that said, when I think back to the space shuttle break up over Texas, there were several sonic booms as it broke up into pieces.

From where I was at when it happened, I heard 2 huge booms (I actually thought a bomb had gone off), but there possibly could have been more because the 2nd boom was a rolling boom like a thunderstorm sometimes makes. And the second boom lasted for several seconds. And I feel the shuttle would have been starting to break up at about that time. Piece's started to show up south of Tyler, Texas.

So i'm wondering if this is why the guy in the report thinks the sonic booms have something to do with the number of piece's the meteor leaves behind.

Oh well, still haven't seen a report where he actually found anything.

Thank's for the response.

Rim