Nugget Shooter Forums

Original Detacc model issue

GlennM

Ok, so it appears that my Detacc unit has gone south. This is from some time spent with Bill yesterday.

I'm trying to find reference to what the problem is. I've searched the Intardwebinet with no success.

I've got an electrical hum with the amp attached. Does anyone have any input? I simply can't afford $400 any time soon to replace it and the dang machines is too quiet to hear anything when even a hard breath is blown, much less a little bit of wind. This this the 4-pin SE01 model for my 3500.

Thanks in advance!

Hey Glenn ,

Since when are signal amps 400 bucks ? :tisk-tisk:

One thing that makes my Gold Screamer amp buzz or have electrical hum is when it is touching the Pocket Rocket regulator directly. Also mine cannot be turned up all the way or there will be all kinds of stattic & feedback and be too loud. I achieve a real sweet balance between my amp and adjustable volume headphones. Generally my amp is somewhere around half way ,and my Black widows are one notch from maxed.

Anyway, sounds like you will need to replace it , but I find it hard to believe that the 3500 can be that quiet without it. You may have just gotten used to having the erratic amplified sound. Unless you are hard of hearing I would think that you could hunt without the amp for a little while.

Ebay sometimes has amp for sale , but I would firmly suggest you buy a Gold Screamer Amp

Thanks, Adam. I must have been thinking the GS Power Pack... Which I don't think works for my machine anyway.

I looked up the normal Gold Screamer for my machine and sent Bill a price request.

Since he spent his Sunday helping me out and put us on a good patch, I'm certainly spending my dollars with him!

You should not need an amp with the 3500...what headphones are you using? If you are using the dual-speaker system you need an amp...if you are using a single speaker you should not need an amp...

Of course you may have an incipient hearing problem, have you had your hearing checked?

I use Doc's gold screamer and the detacc amp...despite what others say I cannot get rid of the background electrical noise when using quality headphones and the amp...this is not a noise that everyone can hear....but, I still hear very faint signals....

There is a possibility that your headphone jack is not making a good connection, sometimes the penetration is not deep enough...now don't let your mind wander to dark places...

try some other headphones...make sure they are stereo headphones...

fred

Last year Glenn lost part of his headphones. I gave him a old Garrett. I would buy new headphones first. I tried them all and found the Troy worked the best for me. I have a built in sound amp on my Jonesie 2000 and don't need it with the troys. I do have bad hearing.

They are Frank's Garrets with a stereo/mono switch and individual volume controls.

I need to get both... amp and headphones. I have a good case of tinitus so I have to overcome the instant ringing in ny ears to hear faint signals of Tue hi-lo variety.

Still can't fund info on the original question of what was the problem with the SE01 units

Hey, it's better than AIDS. I'd hate to get that again. :hahaha:

Seriously, I use speakers and they go dead now and then. I think it's the on-off switch in my Super Sound Signal Enhancer.

I don't see any way to open it to clean it or check it out. The guy I bought it from covered one side with velcro. Does anyone think there my be screws under the velcro that would allow me to open it up?

Yes, there are four screws on the side opposite the label. one in each corner.

They are tough to get out and I'd swear there is a dab of super glue holding the cover on at those holes. I broke a screw taking the cover off.

there was a complaint I saw about the switch getting crap in it abduction not working right.. Maybe get some electronics contact cleaner and spraying it down the switch toggle could help (obviously have the amp disconnected for this) Might clean it out enough.

If you do replace the switch, get a high quality one from somewhere like Del City (www.delcity.com) with a boot over the toggle.

Everything inside nine is potted with epoxy to avoid jiggling loose, so be aware it may prove difficult to do.

Damm Glenn , sounds like you didn't get straightened out yet.

Take the amp off and get a set of Blackwidows and be done with the problems.

And if that don't do it buy another amp they're a hundred bucks or so. But you will most likely be OK with just the Blackwidows

Yes, there are four screws on the side opposite the label. one in each corner.

They are tough to get out and I'd swear there is a dab of super glue holding the cover on at those holes. I broke a screw taking the cover off.

there was a complaint I saw about the switch getting crap in it abduction not working right.. Maybe get some electronics contact cleaner and spraying it down the switch toggle could help (obviously have the amp disconnected for this) Might clean it out enough.

If you do replace the switch, get a high quality one from somewhere like Del City (www.delcity.com) with a boot over the toggle.

Everything inside nine is potted with epoxy to avoid jiggling loose, so be aware it may prove difficult to do.

Thanks Glenn.

I will be getting a good pair of headphones, as well as an amp. I'll get the amp first as I really liked it while it worked.

We think we know what happened... I used the switch on the battery to turn off the machine, instead of killing my threshold setting and twisting the knob and shutting it down proper. I say this because it was quiet as a mouse until I did that a few weeks ago. Sucks that it just so happened to be my first time out with the new-to-me detector <dammit>

Glenn,

If all else fails, try e-mailing Ismael. Maybe he's run into this problem before. Be sure and mention that you didn't power down correctly.

http://www.minelabmods.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_contact&task=view&contact_id=1&Itemid=35

Rim