Nugget Shooter Forums

For you guy's..

Rimshot

that have to deal with black sand all the time.

If you like to tinker, try building one of these and see if you can make it work for you.

I worked up this sketch and lost interest in the idea. But I believe it will work for you if you play with the fall and tilt angles of the shute.

This shute will not get you pure gold but should do a good job concentrating the gold to black sand ratio.

I did not include dimensions because that depends on how much black sand you have to deal with on a daily basis.

My initial thought's were to build it 8-10 inches wide by 6 feet long using either stainless or aluminum.

I also feel this will work best running it dry by attaching a small vibrator under the shute about midway. But using water is not out of the question.

Good luck if you try and build one and shoot me a line if it works for you.

blacksandandgoldseparat.jpg

Rim

Wow! I'm impressed!!! 40 views and not one comment as to why this might not work...Ohhhhhhh, I get it! Ya'll are just being nice to me. :rolleyes: I can just imagine that tiny shute at the end dumping high concentrates into a poop tube.. :ROFL:

Sorry guy's, but I deleted the first sketch from image shack so naturally it deleted it from here also. But I changed up the original sketch anyway. And I think this one will work better.

blacksandandgoldseparat.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think the labels for the views are confusing. This is what I am getting from the sketch.

Your labels = my understanding

Top view = Front end

Bottom view = Bottom end

Fall view = Top view

Side view = Side view

It looks like a sluice that has the typical drop in slope but is tipped to one side. The lower side is then divided into a separate chute near the end. Still trying to figure out if it would actually work.

You would probably get some comments if you explained how your concept works, I have looked at this several times and I'm still having trouble understanding just how this is suppose to work.

Skip

Skip,

Here is my thinking. Gold is heavier then black sand. With the shute tilted a tiny bit (meaning the left side will be lower then the right side), and with the aid of a vibrator attached to the bottom of the shute about mid-way, or the right stream (amount) of water, all of the gold should fall to the left edge of the main shute. Now the shute will also have fall in it as well. The angle of the fall has to be just right for all of the gold to have time to make it to the left side rail before it reaches the tiny shute. Once the gold and some of the black sand (and water if used) go thru the tiny shute at the bottom it could empty into either a bucket or a device like the poop tube for further concentrating. The angles of the fall of the shute and the amount of the tilt of the shute would have to be adjusted for best result's. The whole object of my idea is to get rid of the majority of black sand quickly. I wouldn't even make a second pass with the mostly black sand that will exit out the right side of the shute. That would be defeating the purpose of the whole idea.

I hope this is clearer then mud... :hahaha:

A small to medium size electric sander less the sandpaper could be used for the vibrating action.

It's hard to do 3D views just using paint that comes with windows. Impossible. lol!

This is basically all about gravity and timing. Another word you could use to replace the word shute would be channel.

Hope this helps Skip.

Rim

I think the labels for the views are confusing. This is what I am getting from the sketch.

Your labels = my understanding

Top view = Front end

Bottom view = Bottom end

Fall view = Top view

Side view = Side view

It looks like a sluice that has the typical drop in slope but is tipped to one side. The lower side is then divided into a separate chute near the end. Still trying to figure out if it would actually work.

Yes Haderly, I agree. I looked at it and wondered if ya'll would understand. All of your labels are correct except for the Fall view which it kinda looks like fall view but actually it's full view (of the top side). And I guess on the left end of full view I should have written "Elevated side or end." And yes, it's kinda like a sluice, but with no ripples or mat. Just smooth pan.

Rim