Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey, thought id share a few finds. These two where found within 15 ft of each other in southwester Utah. These two i kept, but have photo'd and put down atleast 20 others this past yr. If only my nack for finding arrowheads would leak over into my gold game id be alrght. Enjoy..

Landon

post-22367-0-92984300-1333166682_thumb.j

Steve, yes these are obsidian. The ground in the area is littered with shards of it. The area north of st george ut (veyo, pinto, gunlock, newcastle) has a lot of volcanic remains. They didnt have to go far to get their material. Ive had many days where ive found 20 plus in a day, but most or all have been chipped off or broken. Id say 1 in 20 is completely intact. Ive heard from multiple sources that the real old arrowheads are propable from the anasazi indians that could date back thousands of years. Based on how many i come across i would imagine the area had a dense population relatively speaking. The more recent finds were probably from the pueblo and paiute indians. All just a guess of course..

Landon

Very nice. Thought I'd share my profile pic, white obsidian spearhead I found last year camping near Death Valley. Theres quite a bit of black obsidian around, but the white obsidian is more rare since it had to have been traded with another tribe from the north. This thing was an awesome find. Like you said, most arrowheads are chipped and broken and its rare to find a black one intact, this is the first white spearhead the guys have ever seen and it wasnt broken! We were hiking and I almost stepped on it, it was mostly buried in the sand except the one straight serrated edge showing. and I thought to myself... thats an awfully straight edge for a rock. Picked it up and was amazed. In the same canyon are some petroglyphs, I did some research on that style petroglyph and they are dated from years 900-1300. Assuming the spearhead came from the same tribe who drew those petroglyphs, this thing could possibly be 800-1100 years old. From what I was reading, we were right on the boundary of the Timbisha Shoshones to the north and Kawaiisu Paiutes to the south. Gotta love the internet, pretty sweet. Judging from your picture, and assuming we have about the same size hands, my spearhead is about the same width but about a half inch longer than your big one. I think your bigger one is a spearhead too, seems too big and heavy to fly through the air on an arrow like your smaller one!

post-26190-0-56817600-1333749582_thumb.j