Nugget Shooter Forums

One hundred miles from the nearest mountain...

Rimshot

After reading a few message boards over the past couple of months, I keep seeing this statement pop up in many different places. "Go to places that have been proven to bear gold." That to me is a very broad statement.

When I think about the old days, as many writers have written about before, I try and grasp onto what the old-timers thought's might have been back in their time. Like where am I going to prospect today.

These guy's were truly amazing IMO. Out in the desert with maybe a pick, shovel, pack mule, one set of clothes, maybe a pistol or rifle, a week or two worth of grub, and if they were lucky, maybe a compass. There is no doubt in my mind how amazingly lucky they were, if they found gold. Without the luxuries of modern times, they must have relied on rumors alone to plot the next territory they would travel to in their never ending quest to find gold.

And now in modern times we find ourselve's with all of these cool gadget's and different types of tools to work with. Going back to the beginning of this post concerning the statement I had seen several times, I find myself doubting the validity of said statement. Oh i'm sure there might be some truth to it, but i'm also sure that many of you have tried to prospect by using that statement and have failed miserably.

IMO the old miners just stumbled onto gold.

So with that said, I kinda like William Shatner's famous words..."Go where no man has gone before."

Why do I like that statement?

Because of another famous statement that's true. "Gold is where you find it."

Happy hunting!!!

Actually, those that were successful either found the gold right away and left early so as to not get killed or waylayed or were able to stake a claim and maintain it.

I think it had to do with the mind set and intelligence. If you get away from looking directly at the gold and look to the surrounding terrain of where it was found, you develop an eye as to what to look for.

Same as hunting game, look for trails, tracks, scat, etc. Then you know game is about. Same with gold. Don't look for fish in the desert or deer in a pond. No better teacher than Mother Earth to show you where to look. There is tons of information about geology of the area you may want to look in. Study these as well as whether or not the ground is accessible, public and unclaimed.

Besides, 100 miles in Texas is just down the block isn't it?

Actually, those that were successful either found the gold right away and left early so as to not get killed or waylayed or were able to stake a claim and maintain it.

I think it had to do with the mind set and intelligence. If you get away from looking directly at the gold and look to the surrounding terrain of where it was found, you develop an eye as to what to look for.

Same as hunting game, look for trails, tracks, scat, etc. Then you know game is about. Same with gold. Don't look for fish in the desert or deer in a pond. No better teacher than Mother Earth to show you where to look. There is tons of information about geology of the area you may want to look in. Study these as well as whether or not the ground is accessible, public and unclaimed.

Besides, 100 miles in Texas is just down the block isn't it?

Geo,

I'm sorry but I'm one of those thick headed ET people that you have prolly ran into before. I really don't have any books to look at and i'm not all that good at doing searches on the internet trying to find pictures of mountains that have been marked up to show peep's where to look on the mountain side for gold. I'm naked when it comes to details like that. I just don't have a clue. But I do think i'd recognize an outcrop or a ledge if I seen one. But i'm sure there's much more then just outcrops and ledges to look for.

I wish someone would show me a picture of a mountain that they edited using paint and put arrows on it and write what you see that might be tell tell signs of gold possibilities. That would be very helpful for sure.

LoL! I'm about 900 miles from El Paso. After driving 50 miles I have to have a nap. :tisk-tisk: haha! It will prolly take me 30 days to get to Arizona. :*&$*(:

I'm gona buy me a huge sombrero when I get there too. :rolleyes:

Rim

Rim...."Go where no man has gone before."....come down here and in no time you'll have a very clear view of why this "Gold is where you find it.".....just think Amazon Jungle....

Garimpo,

Man I got Amazon jungle right here bro. haha!

Rim

p1020274oh.jpg

800 mile east of El Paso puts you in LA :D I know that state is big, but not 800 miles east of EP big.

Lots of gold around El Paso though.

My area is not hard to find where gold had been found before

post-25522-0-42361200-1332884156_thumb.j

post-25522-0-64978300-1332884366_thumb.j

All of our " cool gadgets " that we use cannot find what is not there. beginners need to locate areas where gold has proven to exist. Experience in finding gold will teach you ( over time ) on what to look for . The old timers didnt have another job to get back to , they were able to wander for days until they found what they were looking for. They were able to read the land , the way we are able to read skyscrapers . They could read the land but would be lost in our major cities.... experience is always a better tool than luck is .

800 mile east of El Paso puts you in LA :D I know that state is big, but not 800 miles east of EP big.

Lots of gold around El Paso though.

My area is not hard to find where gold had been found before

Geo,

Well now I feel much better. I just looked and i'm about 750 miles from El Paso. A few less naps. :hahaha:

So is that several different states on your map or just one state? CA? AZ? NV? :cool:

Rim

All of our " cool gadgets " that we use cannot find what is not there. beginners need to locate areas where gold has proven to exist. Experience in finding gold will teach you ( over time ) on what to look for . The old timers didnt have another job to get back to , they were able to wander for days until they found what they were looking for. They were able to read the land , the way we are able to read skyscrapers . They could read the land but would be lost in our major cities.... experience is always a better tool than luck is .

Yeppers Ore,

I sometimes wonder who's getting all the gold? The gadget makers or the small time prospectors? There's green gold in those gadget's you know.

I'm sure experience goes a long way. And i'm also sure that I would look at it differently if I were 40 years younger. But I feel like I don't have time on my side anymore and feel rushed to learn all I can in a very short period of time. I'm a single man with no children and just trying to live out an old childhood dream that I had from days gone by.

Rim