Nugget Shooter Forums

North Carolina = Any members in Charlotte?

NcSwampfox71

Wondering if anyone on here is local to Charlotte NC the home of gold in the USA? If so can you tell me where to find MY Conrad Reed nugget? 17 pound quartz and gold rock (9 pounds 22+ k gold) The largest nugget found in a placer deposit was 28 pounds! Just wondering who around here still has the Fever?

Really? 52 looks and not a peep. Are there no sufferers of gold fever east of the Rockies?

Plenty suffer from the fever in your area. Just that Southeast gold is a different animal. I followed this forum for years as a guest---information and banter is great---just not geared towards the type of prospecting you most likely are/will be doing.

Having said that---stick around, always something good going on here.

Always liked Franklin this time of the year.

Mcgump, How do you think southern gold is a different animal? I think a placer is a placer and hard rock is just that. We don't have the desert to swing detectors in but a different animal? I would love for you to add to your statement please.

Mcgump, How do you think southern gold is a different animal? I think a placer is a placer and hard rock is just that. We don't have the desert to swing detectors in but a different animal? I would love for you to add to your statement please.

I'm not a geologist and would sound like a fool if I tried to use fancy terminology---having said that...

Placer is a general term. How and why gold is formed and deposited is not exactly the same everywhere. Gold in Dahlonaga Belt is much more pure in its natural state than most places in the States. So in that regards the gold is a bit "different". That makes a difference when using a detector. A smooth round match-head size piece of gold sounds very different from coarse gold of the same mass. Something I'm learning the hard way down here.

As for methods---the eastcoast prospector will be doing 99.9% of their prospecting in the water. Panning,sluicing,dredging etc. There are hundreds of "hard rock" mines in the mountains. They were pretty much all chasing free-milling gold. Even the more famous mines would be giddy about hitting a streak of wire-gold.Find old pictures of the gold rush in those parts and you will see alot of stamp mills and long toms. Yes there were large nuggets found in the past---but those days are gone for a lot of reasons.

I'll even go so far as to say this. There is no reason someone should buy a dedicated nugget-shooting machine that is only going to be used in the east. I've bought a few and would use them in the winter when the water was too cold. The largest "nugget" I ever found was a mere 2.1 grams--found in an old hydralic wash. Truth is I would have been better setting up the 'ol highbanker. As time went on I used those VLF's for relic and coin shooting.

All of this is not a put down of the area. I moved there and stayed for twenty years because of the gold.

No sir I would not consider anything you have said a put down of the area. I was seriously interested in your explanation. As per the detecting here in NC its quite a difficult thing to get right, we are the second most mineralized area in the world and from what I understand the folks here that do the best with detecting are running them in creeks and looking for black sand deposits. Then they sluice, dredge or high bank. I do want to buy a fisher gb2 to use to high grade quarts, I have an area that has allot of good vein rock with free milling gold and I have seen a fisher find a grain in a football sized quartz rock. On the purity you are quite right too, my findings usually test above 22k and never below 20k . I like the thought of dry washing and detecting for nuggets but I do think I would have to cross the Mississippi to really have a go of it. I spent a few hours in the creek today after work and actually found the largest single piece of gold to date, and I have been doing this on and off for twenty or more years. Well I got excited and yanked it up out of the sluice and some how fobbled it right back into the creek. :ROFL: