Nugget Shooter Forums

Hello All!

Blackjeep

I live in Atlanta, have recently joined the GPAA, and have a very severe case of gold fever! I have a question about the claim maps in the GPAA book. How are these claims marked? I drove to three different areas today alone in Rabun Co. GA and could not find a single claim. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wouldn't surprise me if those properties are not even GPAA anymore. I don't like to badmouth but the GPAA properties in Georgia suck.

If your in the Atl. don't drive all the way to Rabun. Cherokee is a far more productive county. ( The gold there started the "Trail of tears" ). Other good countys are Dawson, White, Lumpkin. Mostly private prop. so just knock on doors and ask permission. Panning is allowed in National Forrest with permission

This of course all depends on what type of prospecting you want to do. Libarys have great info and old maps for research. Word of warning---many good areas are near WLM's--don't wander and get caught 'cuz they ain't friendly. ACOE also swings a big stick on what used to be great rivers and creeks...

Wow! I'm glad I saved my 69 bucks. I had a feeling the book might not be up to date. Thank's for letting us know Blackjeep! I'd get on the phone and complain if the claims aren't marked. And if they tell you...Oh! That claim doesn't exist anymore. I'd be asking for a refund pronto.

It really depends on how active the local chapter is. I know the Phoenix and Prescott AZ chapters are very active in claims maintenance, both in filling holes and picking up trash, as well as making sure corner markers are in place.

You need to use a GPS to know you're on the claims as only the corners are marked normally. There won't be a big sign saying "GPAA claims right here."

Just for the sake of conversation, let's say John Doe is a member of the GPAA. John Doe goes to a location listed in the GPAA book and checks his GPS readings and it confirms he's in the correct location. He gets his metal detector and begins his search for gold.

Farmer Jones comes running over the hill and informs John that he is claim jumping and has called the local sheriffs department to come pick him up. So now John realizes the book has some bogus claims (possibly) in it and waits for the ride back to jail.

Question's:

Does the GPAA support it's members or does it just turn its head as though nothing happened?

Does the GPAA post bail for John and represent him in court?

Does the GPAA send out a monthly news letter to its members stating what claims have been closed?

If all of the answers to the above questions are NO, I will never be a member of the GPAA.

GPAA prints a new book every two years ... the new one is due to be shipped any time now with updated claims, better maps and directions. In between major printings they send out a newsletter every 2 months called the "Pick & Shovel Gazette". The newsletter has some interesting updates on major legislation, some GPAA outings and most importantly any changes, deletions or additions to the claims inventory. The February-March 2012 issue is 28 pages in a newspaper format.

As far as claims markers ... they tend to get torn down, stolen, moved etc ... all illegal activities ... by folks who have nothing better to do. As for the sheriff being called ... well that happens ... it helps to have the biannual claims book to explain your presence at the property ... but it always helps to read the P&S Gazette when it comes in the mail to you. Cut out and keep the claim changes in the main printed book ... that's what I do ... until then next book printing. I'm not aware that GPAA posts a bond for you or defends your position on any claim ... you have to take some responsibility for what you do and where you do it ... remember you are only two months out of date. Try to explain to the farmer why you are there and if he says he withdrew the claim tell the farmer you are mistaken and will leave the property ...in other words if he will allow you to show him why you are there try but don't force the issue. There is usually a reason why a claim is withdrawn out from the GPAA by the farmer in this case ... someone didn't follow the rules and upset the farmer. Also don't forget that "claims" in GA are very different from "claims" in the western states. Back east the land is OWNED by deed by the farmer in your case. Much of the land in the west is "federal" land in one form or another and is covered by specific mining laws with regards to "claims". More than that you need to educate yourself a bit on your "rights" and "privileges" as a miner basicall east or west of the Mississippi ... it is very different. Basically in the East you are there as a "privilege" granted by the landowner and are under his rules. In the West you have a "right" to file a claim on most federally owned land under a set of laws ... 'Mining Laws of 1872' ... establishing the rules for claiming and mining. That is a real basic comparison ... know the laws and/or rules & regulations of the area you are 'mining' in ... that is YOUR responsibility as a miner!

Hope this helps you out a bit to get you started.

Mike F

GPAA prints a new book every two years ... the new one is due to be shipped any time now with updated claims, better maps and directions. In between major printings they send out a newsletter every 2 months called the "Pick & Shovel Gazette". The newsletter has some interesting updates on major legislation, some GPAA outings and most importantly any changes, deletions or additions to the claims inventory. The February-March 2012 issue is 28 pages in a newspaper format.

As far as claims markers ... they tend to get torn down, stolen, moved etc ... all illegal activities ... by folks who have nothing better to do. As for the sheriff being called ... well that happens ... it helps to have the biannual claims book to explain your presence at the property ... but it always helps to read the P&S Gazette when it comes in the mail to you. Cut out and keep the claim changes in the main printed book ... that's what I do ... until then next book printing. I'm not aware that GPAA posts a bond for you or defends your position on any claim ... you have to take some responsibility for what you do and where you do it ... remember you are only two months out of date. Try to explain to the farmer why you are there and if he says he withdrew the claim tell the farmer you are mistaken and will leave the property ...in other words if he will allow you to show him why you are there try but don't force the issue. There is usually a reason why a claim is withdrawn out from the GPAA by the farmer in this case ... someone didn't follow the rules and upset the farmer. Also don't forget that "claims" in GA are very different from "claims" in the western states. Back east the land is OWNED by deed by the farmer in your case. Much of the land in the west is "federal" land in one form or another and is covered by specific mining laws with regards to "claims". More than that you need to educate yourself a bit on your "rights" and "privileges" as a miner basicall east or west of the Mississippi ... it is very different. Basically in the East you are there as a "privilege" granted by the landowner and are under his rules. In the West you have a "right" to file a claim on most federally owned land under a set of laws ... 'Mining Laws of 1872' ... establishing the rules for claiming and mining. That is a real basic comparison ... know the laws and/or rules & regulations of the area you are 'mining' in ... that is YOUR responsibility as a miner!

Hope this helps you out a bit to get you started.

Mike F

Thank's Mike! I'm printing your post and will save it in the book when I finally get one.

A few other question's. Is the membership only good for one year or two years? Just wondering. Or does this depend on which club I join? I take it all the clubs supply this book? Or is this book an added cost to the club membership?

Thank's!

Rim

Wow! I'm glad I saved my 69 bucks. I had a feeling the book might not be up to date. Thank's for letting us know Blackjeep! I'd get on the phone and complain if the claims aren't marked. And if they tell you...Oh! That claim doesn't exist anymore. I'd be asking for a refund pronto.

Joining the GPAA is worth it if you plan to travel ( especially out west ). I wouldn't ask for refund based on the Rabun property "not" being there. It may well still be. My feelings about the properties in GA are based purely on quality of said properties.

Mike's post explains a great deal about the difference between eastern "claims" and those out west. Which is why, depending on your type of prospecting, it is better just to ask private land owners. I used to scout out small creeks in subdivisions and ask a few homeowners---99% would say something along the lines of "there is no gold in that creek and if there was in the past it surely is gone--so if you what to look foolish go right ahead."

There are a few local clubs. I'm sure with the price of gold a few more have sprung up. Just be wary of newer ones. The warning about WMA's I gave earlier was based on a newbie club setting up a trommel---misleading their members---didn't end well.

Just for fun... the GPAA claim at Oro Grande, NM in fact has a couple of signs that state "GPAA Claim". Not sure how many others might be so signed. The Alamogordo chapter is active and may be the source of the signage.

Thanks for the info Mac. Will do.

Ray nice to know someone puts up signs. Sure would make it easier for newbies to find. Hey! Are you from NM? How's the nugget hunting there?

I'm just a newbie here to, but welcome to the forum!

To join the GPAA go to: http://www.goldprospectors.org/ . You can join for 1 year or 3 years ... best deal is the 3 year and you automatically get the claims books and the Gazette. The one year will get you whatever the current book(Make sure you get the new 2012 book when you sign up (may be best to call them to be sure you get the 2012 book as last I knew it shouldn't be out until mid April) at the time and all the Gazettes.

The local clubs can sign you up too I think and they get a special points credit for doing so that allows them to get GPAA products for their meeting raffles and equipment for their outings.

Mike F

To be sure you get the 2012 book, call the 800 number. however, be certain to tell them if you are wanting to join through your local chapter. As Mike said, the chapter gets points toward things as small as vials and apparel all the way up to high bankers and such to give away/raffle off.

there may not be signs on the eastern claims because of what Mike said (hadn't thought about that) in that the land is private and you're allowed on it by the southern grace of the land owner (by the way, that person could be a good friend to have).

I also cut out the claims updates in the P&S Gazette and, since they are often different states on front and back, will do a high resolution copy (photo mode on my machine) of the state I'm least likely to visit and put them in the book in the order they should go.

Another benefit to being a local chapter member is that you'll find out about claim status sooner. I knew of our losing a claim here in AZ way sooner than the Gazette coming out and I knew why... some idiot "member" dug himself an 8' hole and had been at it for some time before being caught. The club representative found the guy in action and called the claim holder and the Sheriff.

Claim is no longer available, period.

To be sure you get the 2012 book, call the 800 number. however, be certain to tell them if you are wanting to join through your local chapter. As Mike said, the chapter gets points toward things as small as vials and apparel all the way up to high bankers and such to give away/raffle off.

there may not be signs on the eastern claims because of what Mike said (hadn't thought about that) in that the land is private and you're allowed on it by the southern grace of the land owner (by the way, that person could be a good friend to have).

I also cut out the claims updates in the P&S Gazette and, since they are often different states on front and back, will do a high resolution copy (photo mode on my machine) of the state I'm least likely to visit and put them in the book in the order they should go.

Another benefit to being a local chapter member is that you'll find out about claim status sooner. I knew of our losing a claim here in AZ way sooner than the Gazette coming out and I knew why... some idiot "member" dug himself an 8' hole and had been at it for some time before being caught. The club representative found the guy in action and called the claim holder and the Sheriff.

Claim is no longer available, period.

8 foot deep? OMG!!! He found GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!! No wonder the claims owner shut ya'll down....lol! More gold for him..... :rolleyes: That gold digger must have been a HOSS! :hahaha:

Rimshot,

Checkout this page, you have to go with the Buzzard Special to have the 3 year option for membership.

http://www.goldprosp...&products_id=30

Skip

I wonder what the Buzzard Special cost me if I get it thru a club Skip? I think 1 year is enuf for me. I could peter out after the 1st day.. :hahaha:

Skinny little guy, but dedicated for sure.

He stated he "found enough to make his truck payment"

I would say from meeting him and having conversations that he was born a century and a half too late. He would have done well in the West back then.

I wonder what the Buzzard Special cost me if I get it thru a club Skip? I think 1 year is enuf for me. I could peter out after the 1st day.. :hahaha:

Costs the same... $67.50

I would be very dissapointed if I couldn't make 3 truck payments and a house payment at 8 feet. :hahaha:

Well i'll just wait until I get there where ever there is and join a club and then get the Buzz Special.

Thank's Glenn