Nugget Shooter Forums

There should be gold here?

DoradoJones

Hello all. I'm new to this world and holy chips there's a lot to learn. I'm in Central California. There's a seasonal riverbed/wide creek on my property. There's an exposed quartz vein running up the mountain, which in turn feeds down to the bed in a series of small waterfalls. Quartz is all over. I literally kick huge chunks with every step. And still, no (real) gold as of yet. Is my sluice at the right angle? Probably not. Is my home made, primitive stamp mill doing as good a job as can be done? Absolutely not. Do I already swear at my pan? Better believe it. Since I can't ask 100 questions, I'll ask the one that so many before me have:

Where is the best place to concentrate on (digging extremely deep, quartz picking/crushing, panning the bed) to find evidence of anything here? I know it is general and generic question and gold is where you find it, but I guess I'm wondering, with these options, what you all would do. I can't keep digging little crumby holes all over the place. I feel I should hit one place hard. Also, I may have found a couple flakes here and there but I don't really know. Ya know? Good luck to all ya all and stay off my land.

-D. Jones

Dorado, welcome to the forum!!

Just because you're in California doesn't mean that you have gold on your property, that being said do you know if gold has been found in the past in your immediate area?

If so you may well indeed have gold on your property and maybe you don't, the only way to know is to find the gold by testing, which I know you've been trying to do so, but if you don't know what gold looks like when you see it in your pan you maybe washing gold out by not know it's gold, that is where you first need to start, learning what gold looks like and how it acts in your pan.

Knowing the city you're closest too would help to direct you to a club, organization, or someone close to where you live that can show you some gold and or help you learn what to look for, I mean central California is a very big area.

Another way is to buying a gram or two of fine gold and practice panning the gold into a safety pan/tub until you can recover the same amount of gold you put in your pan.

Skip

Thanks guys. Rimshot, I don't have the cash for a metal detector right now. This is my first property so, you know, broke. I'd love to try one out though. I keep reading up on them and trying to decipher if they really work for fine gold or not. Homefire, I actually just got back from walking the bed and found a couple eroded walls that were calling to me. So you're saying ignore all that and just go deep to clay or bedrock? And that brings up another question. When I hit clay, should I stop or go through it?

Thanks Skip. I'm nearest to Cuyama, so basically next to the Los Padres National Forest. I know what you're sayin', but I like to believe there most definitely is gold in them hills. I've read stuff about gold being found in the Santa Ynez valley back during the rush, but besides that I'm not sure how much activity has been charted. Thanks.

Yep, hit the floor. It there is gold in that area that's where your going to find it.

All you need is a pan, shovel and time, Right?

If you find any color, you may be on your way to a detector later.

Detectors don't work so well on the small stuff.

gold3a.jpg

Your creek may or may not hold gold. And IF it does, that does not mean there is gold everywhere. You may have to sample 50 different spots before you even find a speck of gold. But once you find a spec or as we say a few colors, then that is the area you want to concentrate your efforts. Just diggin any hole to bedrock and hoping gold is there is a waste of time and effort. Locate the gold first then put forth that effort. Also do a bit of research, if gold has been found there in the past, it probably still has gold to be found. Quartz or no quartz.......

Thanks for the feedback. But so basically I'm on the right track (which I'm having a frustrating blast doing), it's just you guys have been doing it longer and actually know what you're looking at when it's in front of you. I've watched 100 youtube videos and yet I still don't feel experienced. I look at that quartz vein and want to just rip into it. I also think it is rather beautiful and would rather know why I'm doing such a thing. I know the vein runs all the way to the top of the hill and maybe over, not sure. I guess I'll just keep digging and swearing and gettin a sweet tan. In terms of looking up records, I guess I just don't want to. The way I see it, there was no gold in South Africa until there was; just gotta keep going. Shopping list: metal detector, backhoe, dynamite. Done.

Quartz does not mean you have gold.

But if there is or was it will show up in the low spots I would think.

Finding a bit of color in the creaks would be your first steps.

If you do find color the you need to look here! 53.gif

gold forms randomly in strata(hard pan, quartz layers). you are more likely to find it in the pan than the quartz.

if it's a thin vain, well have at it, you never know. if it's a nice beautiful thick vain, I wouldn't break it.

that creek bed should have some fine dust in it. find the sandy areas wear it runs.

I live in the SN foothills in butte county, the amount of quartz I've broken on our property..... just stupid. nada thing, plenty of pyrite and mica though.

Just curious. Does your quartz look like this? You mentioned the rust look.

Also I noticed a web site that sells quartz. And some of it like the rose color sells from 100 to 600 bucks. Nice size chunk.

post-26159-0-49605100-1332466270_thumb.j

post-26159-0-51052300-1332466325_thumb.j