Nugget Shooter Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goldfinger

Search Patterns in the Field

HI Guys

There's been a few nice cold finds recently- notably by Frank C, Todd and Terry.. If I were lucky enough to come across a nice meteorite specimen in the field, how would you go about searching for other pieces- if any? Is there some procedure that would help cut down on overlapping? Surely just wandering around hoping to find other pieces would be counterproductive and wasteful.. How far out would one search? There has to be a method to this madness.... Hope someone can provide some insight.

Steve

I try to grid search, but from the tracks on my gps it looks like the drunken sailor method.

Going to try the little red flags and a smaller area next week.

Aloha guys,

Dont know if this will help BUT here goes my method of madness: I will stake out an area at least 50' from where i found my first specimen. I hunt north to south, then east to west. After that i then hunt at angles going northwest to southeast then the other way around. I have found that when I hunt the straight lanes I usually will miss a small area but run across it when I do the odd angles. Of course i do go low and slow and ground balance my GMT every couple of yards just for luck. This method has worked for me and hopefully it will work for you also. Just remember to take your time and get in touch with your detector and its sounds.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Aloha,

Stan aka Kaimi

I've used the little red landscaping flags, spools of twine, tied ribbons to cactus, and used gps before. I sometimes grid when searching a area for pieces below the surface with a metal detector, but when I'm hunting visually I cover way to much ground, i, so I just wing it , walking where I get the vibe haha

Terry

AAHHH YES, SEARCH METHODS.

SOMETIMES THE BEST STYLE IS CALLED "D. L."

ITS SIMILIAR TO VEGAS VULTURES DRUNKEN SAILOR METHOD. BUT ITS CALLED ( D.L.) DUMB LUCK :hahaha:

ALSO WORKS WELL FOR NUGGETSHOOTING !!!!!

Hi Steve and all!

I'd venture to say 99% of cold finds are pure luck and being in the right spot at the right time and probably has little to do with search patterns. For example, gold seekers hunting (detecting) for gold hear a signal and dig it to find a meteorite. That seems to be common and would not be considered cold hunting.

I think cold hunting requires prior research, opposite of common meteorite hunting. Rather than go where meteorites have been found before, go where meteorites have not been found ever before....those are the true cold finds! Then spend thousands of hours in the field searching and covering a bunch of ground! Some guys I know who do a lot of this (over a decade) have never found anything but a good time. You are not going to find an Old Woman on a dry lake bed!

Others, spend less than 100 hours in the field and find bunches of meteorites. There has got to be some magic in there somewhere!

However, with any kind of ground hunting, cold finds included, search patterns do allow one to cover a specific area pretty well.

From what I've seen others do and I do same, is to take off and start walking an area. When I get somewhere I like, I slow down and start a track line.

I hunted yesterday and used two common patterns. Once I got where I wanted to hunt, I used a "track line" pattern across the desert benches I was working. I did this from about 8 am to about 11 am.

I detected a good signal and found my first ever South side Franconia meteorite. Once I finished up recording them (turned out to be two in the same hole), covering up the hole , etc., I began an "expanding square" and shortly found two more, one by site and one buried. I did that for about an hour and then started hunting the benches again back to the truck. I did note that there were trucks and hunters everywhere by that time! If anyone here knows Chance, he was there too and he must of found a gold vein or something as he sure is out there a lot. His big white dog guards his trailer and he is no where in site!

Later , I moved to the North side and did a "Terry" across the desert (okay, he is way faster than me but I've seen him haul ass across the desert benches) till I got where I liked and began the "track line" again. Every time I found a meteorite, I then would do a small "expanding square" search in that area.

This seems to work for me and proved good yesterday with 15 finds and has worked well for me in the past.

Others do the same thing while hunting and may not even realize it. I've seen Terry doing the track line and Jason is famous for it and he adds a dragging foot flare to it!

I suppose swinging a detector back and forth while moving forward is probably the most perfect example of an overlapping track line there can be.

When cold hunting (20 hours last week) I find a spot I like and then track line while still moving about 1 or 2 mph. I can spot a rabbit turd as good as anyone but I am like 99% of the rest of the hunters out there and I just hope I am someday lucky enough to find a really big cold find! Can you imagine finding Old Woman!!! Holy Cow, Batman!

GPS tracks are indeed interesting to look at. I have a "cold" track file where I keep my tracks of my cold hunts. I think looking at them has helped me do a better job at the line track. However, when zoomed out, I find that the areas I have hunted are so very small in comparison to all the desert out there to explore!

Cheers

Some people use the "chain method", in which you drag a length of chain attached to your belt that leaves a trail in the sand, it doesn't work here in the east when out in the woods too much vegetation,leaves, etc. but works well in sandy areas, I use this method when beach detecting.

Skip

I do that on the beach hunts, hook my scoop to my belt and drag it behind me. I don't seem to walk a straight line and when the scoop fills up it gives me good a good workout.

Jim - I was referring to a search pattern after a cold find.

Some good ideas here as far gridding goes after the initial find.

You can bet there's some more big ones out there someplace. Just have to go where no man has gone before....

Steve

Jim - I was referring to a search pattern after a cold find.

Some good ideas here as far gridding goes after the initial find.

Steve

Expanding square, and track line.

Jim

spiral....gps...then other patterns...and most important, trust your intuition!

fred

spiral....gps...then other patterns...and most important, trust your intuition!

fred

FRED YOU HIT IT ON THE HEAD, THAT 6TH SENSE SOME OF US PUT TO USE CAN REALLY PRODUCE.

Let's see: "If I were a target where would I hide?" "Ahh Yes ... right over there ... he'll never look for me there ... it's too obvious!" :evil1::tisk-tisk::rolleyes:

Yup ... That sounds about right for a 6th sense!

Mike F

Some people scoff at the idea...not me! I have too many times followed the wild hare and got a nice goody for listening to my gentle nudges...go there, come here...over the hill...

fred

Aloha Fred,

Excellent post and something I use all the time but just dont even think about it. It just needs to come naturally and it will once one becomes "in tune" with Mother Nature and her many sights and sounds. One other reason I just love to hunt alone once in a while just so I can get in touch with HER.

Aloha and stay well,

Stan aka Kaimi

and most important, trust your intuition!

fred

I'm not sure there is such a thing. :twocents: When out in the field, I play many hunches on a given day and 99% of them are wrong. Does that 1% that you might be right qualify as "intutition"? It's easy to say you have it after the fact but in the grand scheme of things, I don't think so...

Steve

So, you would be one of the many that scoff...I would not suggest INTUITION is a scientific system...but, mine has been a help to me many times...I do know that trying to command intuition, forcing it, does not produce. There are many things in the world that happen, they don't all satisfy the purely rational and ridgid standards of the modern mind...

All that being said; I don't want to lead and I don't want to follow. I will just go my way...in peace, if possible...

fred

So, you would be one of the many that scoff...I would not suggest INTUITION is a scientific system...but, mine has been a help to me many times...I do know that trying to command intuition, forcing it, does not produce. There are many things in the world that happen, they don't all satisfy the purely rational and ridgid standards of the modern mind...

All that being said; I don't want to lead and I don't want to follow. I will just go my way...in peace, if possible...

fred

Hi Fred and all!

Mojo, Carma, Intuition,

The other day at Gold Basin, I found about 1 oz of gold and a meteorite that weighed in at 430g with two pieces of it next to it for a total of 480g.

The gold: I was not 10 minutes into the hunt. I looked at a cut and decided to go that direction after looking at two other directions to go.

The meteorite: Wendy was finding meteorites left and right. I and others were not finding squat. I really did not care cause of my previous gold find, but I was hunting. We were going away from the direction of where I found the meteorite. We met up with a hunting friend and decided to turn around and go to a spot where he had found gold on a previous hunt. We hunted around there and dug a bit to see if anything else was in his hole. After that, I looked around and just decided to hunt around to a bench that sort of led back to the trucks....a big loop.

We took off in that direction just sort of walking and hunting. No format, just wandering. We'd hit a bench and do some quick line tracks, etc. On one of them we stopped to check our progress. Wendy started down the bench and I said, "let's go this way instead" and so we just crossed a small wash and headed up the other side and within 10 or 20 yards I darn near tripped over a 430 gram meteorite. After collecting it, clearing my drawers, etc, the experience kicked in and I carefully searched using an expanding square and found 2 more pieces of this meteorite making it it a 480g puzzle! There was nothing technical about why I wanted to go the way we went. Wendy's way was downhill and flat, mine wasn't. I can't say why I chose it.

So to me, it was my day....about a $2k payday... Carma, Luck, intuition or whatever it is called, I certainly had it that day. And when I am out there, at some point, I become at peace with the world and I tend to talk to God a lot. It is as close to religion as I get. This is my church!

Cheers!

Jim

DSCN0747.jpgDSCN0749.jpg

Nice finds and congrats Jim!!!! :thumbsupanim Where's a picture of the gold?

Steve

Hi Steve!

I did post them...right before your post asking! Can you see them?

Jim

G'Day Jim

You sure did! There's no stopping you. Meteorites, gold .. do you want to go halves on a lotto ticket? You seem to have a lot of Luck

Hi Steve!

I did post them...right before your post asking! Can you see them?

Jim

Jim- I must have a bad monitor. Can't seem to distinguish between the gold and the meteorites. Color all washed out.. Or maybe it's my eyesight. :idea:

Steve

G'Day Jim

You sure did! There's no stopping you. Meteorites, gold .. do you want to go halves on a lotto ticket? You seem to have a lot of Luck

Hi Johnno!

I did buy a MegaMillions ticket last week! The bounty was huge and I did get the mega ball number for a winning of a killer $2!

So, I'll do it again and see if I win.

Do the pictures look washed out to you??? I did not post any meteorite pictures. Steve has me scratching my head! :idunno:

Take care!

Jim