Nugget Shooter Forums

What metal is this?

southernau

I crushed some sandstone the other day. I ran the material on a v-ribbed mat and recovered some strange metal. The pieces are in the 50 mesh range. They are silver metallic in color but the problem is that they are HIGHLY magnetic. When I hold my magnet 4 inches above the water in the pan (pan quarter full of water) WHAM! Sucks the metal right up at that distance. The metal is also malleable. Im thinking its probably iron but thought metallic iron couldnt last in nature. Any suggestions?

Bedrock Bob, your correct in suggesting that but I dont think thats the case. I crush with a small jaw crusher. I have used it for a few years now and have never had cuttings show up before. Also, after reading your post I checked my crusher plates for fresh metal scrapes and found nothing. I do beleive this metal came from the sandstone. I plan to crush some more sandstone this afternoon to see if I find any more of this metal.

...................................................................................................Nickel or cobalt, maybe.

Put a bit of the powder in vinegar, for kicks.. I don't think it will touch ^^^ ,but iron sure would change quickly.